Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mikew

Broker, Charting Software, for Demo Trading

I want to start learning how to trade commodity futures and/or forex currencies. I have a friend who uses Interactive Brokers, so I was planning on using the same brokerage software. For charts, he uses eSignal, which seems very expensive for me to start.

Basically I just want to look over historical charts and start trying out fake paper trades using the past data. Ideally i'd be able to fast forward through these old charts so I can go through them quicker.

I'd like some recommendations on broker/chart combos that are cheap since all I want to do is test right now. Thanks in advance

BlowFish or anyone. I like Ninja and AMP Futures, but with these new rules they have cut out Free Forex feed from Gain. So, here is my question. How can I get a Free Forex Data feed now and what platform other than MT4. I would like it to be Ninja or maybe Esignal. Thanks

BW

Does anyone then know using Ninja and one of their compatible forex brokers what the smallest/minimum account size that would have to be opened in order to get the streaming data?

It's easy on the Metatrader side with a plethora of free options - and that's an alternative for sure -- but with Gain not providing that free feed any other options that would possible just require a very small funded account somewhere?

MMS

Does anyone then know using Ninja and one of their compatible forex brokers what the smallest/minimum account size that would have to be opened in order to get the streaming data?

It's easy on the Metatrader side with a plethora of free options - and that's an alternative for sure -- but with Gain not providing that free feed any other options that would possible just require a very small funded account somewhere?

MMS

PFGBEST. I believe they want $1000.00 to open for Ninja. That may be too rich.

They did have a system where you could extend your demo for 35 per month.....basically 35 for the data. They grandfathered in those that were doing it and have canceled new traders which is a shame. I was one of the fortunate ones.

Mike,

You could look into thinkorswim as a broker. They aren't going to be the cheapest option to trade with on the commission side of things but you do get free charting and a host of useful tools on the platform for no charge.

They also have a tool called on demand which allows you to go back in time to any day that you wish and replay the session. This allows you to place and manage trades with a real time feel instead of just scrolling through the charts at your own pace.

Their active trading tools have come a long way. They now offer a price ladder similar to what you would find on Tradestation or Ninjatrader. This allows you to place trades very quickly.

I could go on and on about tools that are available on their platform. Might be worth a look.

...oh and you are able to trade stocks, options, futures, forex with them.

I sometimes forget about Think or Swim as an option since they have come so far, and feels like out of nowhere in recent years. With the addition of forex there you do get some of the benefits that IB always seemed to have over everyone - forex, futures, stocks, options.

Also, whenever I'm at a tradeshow I will say that the most rabid following and biggest crowd of people always seems to be at the TOS booth. People simply like them. Which says a lot for a broker.

MMS