Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

tucciotrader

What Does It Mean when ppl are buying Call Options?

I have a few difficulties understandig why the market maker is not going to quote the call option at price strike below the dollar...what I don't uderstand is that the security is trading at 0,38$ on the nasdaq and its call options is trading at price strike >1$ and the open interests for this call options is huge (yet, I don't know for how many stocks a single call contract accounts for...maybe 1k?)

Why is anybody buying call options instead of buying the security itself?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/op?s=CTIC&m=2011-01

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/op?s=CTIC&m=2012-01

Strike: 1.00

Last: 0.02

Open Int: 47,331

Expire at close Friday, January 21, 2011

--

Strike: 1.00

Last: 0.08

Open Int: 73,660

Expire at close Friday, January 20, 2012

thanks

Probably because its OTM at a good price. Given the long dated expiry they hope there is good chance of this moving ITM over time perhaps? Given the dirt cheap price, whats to lose? Defined risk and unlimited upside sometime between now and Jan 2012.

Fill yer boots!!!

Probably Taleb holding the OI :)

I have a few difficulties understandig why the market maker is not going to quote the call option at price strike below the dollar...what I don't uderstand is that the security is trading at 0,38$ on the nasdaq and its call options is trading at price strike >1$ and the open interests for this call options is huge (yet, I don't know for how many stocks a single call contract accounts for...maybe 1k?)

A Nobel prize in economics was awarded in an attempt to model options prices based on market parameters. I accept the results, but don't claim to completely understand it either.

Once contract covers controls 100 shares.

You might start here to learn more about options.

These cheap stocks can be very volatile and unpredictable. Many times they are drug/pharmaceutical companies. All it takes is a rumor of a new drug coming out and these companies can pop big time. As a result traders make a cheap bet with call options to try and capture a big winner. So you will see a large open interest in the options.

One call option gives you control of 100 shares of stock. So to purchase 100 shares it will take $38. Your other option is to buy a call which let's say is selling for .02. This would cost you $2 to control the same 100 shares of stock. The trade off is that the option is only good for a certain amount of time. In your example of looking at the $1.00 call, should the stock make a big jump on news that call is going to have a really nice precentage return on that call.

All that to say the $1.00 call has a lot of open interest because of traders making a cheap bet on a large move in the stock (news, rumors, earnings).