Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

indra.juwono

How Significant is Extended Session for Daytraders?

Dear friends,

I have a question that have been bothering me for quite some time. Is it important for stock daytrader to put on the extended session/pre market activities on their chart? I've noticed that indicator's readings differ quite significantly when I put on the extended session on my chart. Will it improve the indicator's accuracy or will it distort it's accuracy?

thank you

I would say that if you use volume indicators, then there is difference, since sometimes there are "swaps" of huge order before the market opens, and this is not important for day trader and may influence the volume indicators.

In terms of price? Probably most people do not use the extended chart, so I think, that it may be better for indicators to start with normal chart, also because there are orders before the market with huge spread, so the price mostly is jumpy and will destroy the calculations. But it is important to know the lowest and highest price of premarket.

Yes, I agree that it is important to know the lowest and highest price of premarket.

I have been using MACD as my main entry trigger, and I noticed that most of the times the reading's differ quite significantly if I put on the premarket activities. It sometimes provide more entry signals at/near the open. What do you think about it? Do you think those signals are like thin ice and I should be more careful about them?

Thank you Zapisy. And no, I do not rely on MACD alone to initiate my trades. Usually I use the following rules: I waited for MACD bullish crossover below 0 line, and the the price move above simple MA50&100 within 5 time units (my timeframe is 5m). And DMI reading has to be: +DI>-DI & ADX>25. But for the last couple of months this rules didn't give me many trading signals. A friend of mine said that DMI is not suitable for daytrading. Is this really the case?