Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Guest baywolf

Compustat and Backtesting with Fundamental Data

Guest baywolf

Hi all,

I'm looking for a platform (as an individual) that allows me to backtest a strategy on a portfolio of stocks based off of their fundamental data. In school we had compustat, but I don't have access to those resources anymore. What software platforms/services as an individual investor do I have access to?

Guest baywolf

Thanks for the suggestion Tams. It looks like MSN is using Reuters fundamental data, but they don't seem to offer historical "point in time" data like what I'm looking for, nor any API-like access to the data.

What would you be willing to pay for:

a) 5 years of history

b) 10 years of history

c) 15 years of history

Would you also be willing to pay for quarterly updates too? (well, updates as they happen). We're looking into sources for such data and considering what types of products we could offer.

One of the issues that crops up from time-to-time is when a company changes their financial year boundaries. They quite often use that extra quarter to throw in extraordinary items that then get lost in the history of time!

Cheers,

Richard.

Here is a message I received. Have not tried them yet. portfolio123.com and screener123.com. I don't know what the difference is.

----- Original Message -----

To: 'Chloe'

Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 9:09 AM

Subject: RE: Fundamental Backtests

Backtesting based on fundamental (and/or technical) factors is a very prominent feature of our product.

I wouldn’t, however, frame it in terms of IF P/E <10 BUY 100 SHARES. A more representative example might be BUY ALL STOCKS FOR WHICH P/E < 10, or if you want to control the number of issues purchased, a simplified example might be START WITH ALL STOCK FOR WHICH P/E < 10 AND BUY THE 25 STOCKS RANKED HIGHEST BASED ON 5 YR EPS GROWTH RATE.

The 100 shares thing is not a focus. With our basic backtesting functionality, we’d simply presume equal weighting and would not address the dollar size of your portfolio. With the simulation feature of our advanced product, portfolio123, you’d specify the starting dollar amount of your portfolio, and from that point forward, it is presumed that all available cash would be allocated equally among however many stocks are to be purchased.

Also, here is a source for data (17 years):

Reuters DataLink | Real Time Data | Stock Analysis Software | Market Data | Reuters

Lead to from here:

Market Data Providers