Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

smuhr

Which Broker for Automated Trading with MultiCharts

Good morning,

I have looked to the MC User Guide and it's written that you have only 24h historical data with IB. Which is not useful for backtesting strategies...

So I need your advice to choose a good broker for automated trading with MultiCharts.(I am Trading on EU Market, sorry I'm swiss :p)

Thank you,

Steven

Hi - one good thing about MC is that it takes many types of data feeds.

I download historical data into it from Esignal, and use IB live data for any intraday charts.

To manage this easily I just keep a few extra charts open.

MC is very flexible in the regard of combining data feeds and data sources.

Never had a problem with IB as a broker hence why I use them

On saying that I dont trade automatically via any system so I cant help you there.

Good morning,

I have looked to the MC User Guide and it's written that you have only 24h historical data with IB. Which is not useful for backtesting strategies...

So I need your advice to choose a good broker for automated trading with MultiCharts.(I am Trading on EU Market, sorry I'm swiss :p)

Thank you,

Steven

you should check with IB for historical data.

if you need a lot of data... try TradeStation, or eSignal.

IB is not a primary data provider... it is more a quote service for its clients.

Hi Steven - from my experience, if you want to trade a wide variety of instruments then IB is the one to use. (options, equities, FX, futures) They give a wide access to varying markets - you can even trade (if you are very careful) without needing a price feed as they will accept orders.

eg; I occasionally do trades in a market that I dont need a price feed for I just enter my order to buy/sell at a particular price level and if it trades their its executed. I have tested this against the live market prices and the orders are entered and seen by a friend in his live time system.

As Tams said their historical data while available quite frankly is not great to backtest on - as they dont put them selves out as a data provider - they are a broker.

The API is pretty good into excel - you can export everything - orders, price data, account details, and send orders into the system from it.

Their charting system is pretty bad and not worth it - unfortunately - because if they actually managed to incorporate everything in one system it would make life easier! Their client servicing is pretty bad - unless you are a big user - and they know it - again they say they are not their to hold hands, but provide a service. - fair enough.;)