Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

matinthehat

Need Help from University/college Students

i have just started university and am having problems with the course load. there is way too much information that i need to learn in the course of a week and i am having trouble finding the time. right on the first day our lectures started and we covered an entire chapter in each course. how am i supposed to learn like this? if i can't manage to cath up, should i drop out? why is university structured this way? it is not like anyone in my classes are actually learning the material, they are memorizing it.

Unfortunately, most of schooling is like that - memorize what you need for the next test and move on.

As for college, I went to a smaller school so it seemed more personal and not nearly as rushed as you presented here. If it's a large school where you are just a number, maybe consider spending a day at a small college and see if there's a difference.

I'd give it more time. A lot of my professors would assign a bigger than average workload in the beginning of the semester to make weaklings drop the class. I'd guess that you aren't the only one who feels like it's a lot of work, so don't worry. Given more time, even if the workload doesn't lighten, you will probably get used to it and find a way to deal with it.

What you say about memorising is true, for most courses you're tested on ability to retain knowledge rather than lateral thinking. Thus, at the end of the day a pass or failure comes down to not what you learn in class but how you approach your studies outside of class. I think everyone finds it tough - succeeding in college or university is all about revision technique.

The obvious aside, here are my suggestions based on how I learn:

- Learn to speed read and stop sub-vocalising (assuming you do). I read at 800-1000wpm or 1-3 lines a second and this helps me no end in covering information quickly.

- Don't try to understand everything the first time, instead read through everything quickly. Even if you miss words, or some understanding of a specific sentence carry on until you've read all of the relevant text.

- Once you have a generalised context for what you're reading it becomes much easier to apply associations. On the subject of associations learn about memory techniques - memory pathways or rooms, mnemonics etc.

- I find time between reading more important than written repetition. I know people who can spend months writing, reading and rewriting essays hundreds of times only to fail in the exams. For me I read things approx 3 times and after this I can tell you what page number, slide and line something appears on but only if I leave it at least 2-3 days in between reading. So my advice would be start early, but don't get stressed if you don't remember it the first time. Try to absorb the information passively the first 2 times you read it and focus on specifics at the third attempt. By reading large amounts of text 3 times as default, with various subjects, this obviously requires large amounts of time hence the advantage of learning to read faster.

-Lectures normally involve writing/listening. I find this combination dull, I would personally try to get the lecture texts off a student in prior year so you can focus on what's being said instead of trying to quickly transcribe. Again with reading everything once perhaps try, over the weekend prior, to read the material for the upcoming lectures- Not trying to memorise but instead allowing you to build up the background for stronger associations when lecture comes about..

I dunno what else to suggest. Personally, I have the worst attendance in my year for my degree(pharmacy), I spend about 20% of the revision time of other people and I normally get some of the highest marks for my year. The second key, apart from time, is study past exam papers. You can be asked to study a plethora of books but only some of this information may be pertinent for assessment so study past exam papers at the start of the year, not just exam time so you know where to focus learning and what lectures to pay particular attention to.

(sorry if this is just sucky generalised advice, but honestly I think that the difference between success and failure it down to mentality. Revision techniques can be learnt. It's just about having the desire to strife for more, never consider dropping out as an option)

Will

I am enrolled in this school to learn accounting and they have psychology and calculus courses in the program. How the **** am i supposed to learn about accounting when i have a shit load of psychology and calculus work to do every night and little time left for accounting and business work? It doesn't make sense. We are rushing through every single chapter and all of the content and it is impossible to learn at that speed. Already i have 2 exams coming up and i just started last week! Like what the **** are these mindless ******* academics doing to education? All theories and nothing else. Also, i literally am working 13 hours a day on course material and still it is hard to keep up. I have no time to even think about the markets, go outside and have fun, or do anything else that brings joy into my life. I need this education for job security, but this ******* school is making it impossible.

I am enrolled in this school to learn accounting and they have psychology and calculus courses in the program. How the **** am i supposed to learn about accounting when i have a shit load of psychology and calculus work to do every night and little time left for accounting and business work? Even if i were to put accounting and business first, i would not have any time for psychology and calculus and thus i would fail them leading to me being kicked out of the program..... It doesn't make sense. We are rushing through every single chapter and all of the content and it is impossible to learn at that speed. Already i have 2 exams coming up and i just started last week! Like what the **** are these mindless ******* academics doing to education? Some dumbass in the corporate office probably thought this up.

I am enrolled in this school to learn accounting and they have psychology and calculus courses in the program. How the **** am i supposed to learn about accounting when i have a shit load of psychology and calculus work to do every night and little time left for accounting and business work? It doesn't make sense. We are rushing through every single chapter and all of the content and it is impossible to learn at that speed. Already i have 2 exams coming up and i just started last week! Like what the **** are these mindless ******* academics doing to education? All theories and nothing else. Also, i literally am working 13 hours a day on course material and still it is hard to keep up. I have no time to even think about the markets, go outside and have fun, or do anything else that brings joy into my life. I need this education for job security, but this ******* school is making it impossible.

So, you have been going to school for two weeks and already know what is best and how the education system should work? There are millions of students graduating each year. How come they don't find it too tough? Just because you cannot keep up, does not make the whole system bad.

The school system is not going to change because you don't like it. Your options are easy; drop out of school, or suck it up. Whining about it is not going to get you anywhere.

I am enrolled in this school to learn accounting and they have psychology and calculus courses in the program. How the **** am i supposed to learn about accounting when i have a shit load of psychology and calculus work to do every night and little time left for accounting and business work? Even if i were to put accounting and business first, i would not have any time for psychology and calculus and thus i would fail them leading to me being kicked out of the program..... It doesn't make sense. We are rushing through every single chapter and all of the content and it is impossible to learn at that speed. Already i have 2 exams coming up and i just started last week! Like what the **** are these mindless ******* academics doing to education? Some dumbass in the corporate office probably thought this up.

Life is about the survival of the fittest, not the fastest or the smartest.

"Fit" means suitable -- are you most suitable for the challenge you have taken on?

Are you the first to go through the program?

Edited by Tams