Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TIKITRADER

Virtual Box

Creating Virtual Machines with VirtualBox

Looking for feedback on Virtual Box.

http://lifehacker.com/5204434/the-beginners-guide-to-creating-virtual-machines-with-virtualbox

http://www.filehippo.com/download_virtualbox/changelog/

Looking for software that will allow to try out OS or programs without partitioning drive. From what I have read this will not affect the hard drive while running another OS inside virtual box.

I am running XP pro right now and want to make sure it is safe to run on xp.

Will I be running into future problems with virtual box ?

I have decided to install VirtualBox and created a new virtual machine capable of

running a separate OS.

Over these next few steps I will show just how easily the virtual box was installed, and a new virtual machine created.

On the new virtual machine I have installed Windows 7 for 32 bit.

Windows 7 is now a guest operating system on a host OS Window XP Pro.

You can create as many virtual machines as you like with a different OS on each.

I have screenshots that were taken while creating a new machine.

Here is the user manual that I suggest to read completely before installing.

Sun VirtualBox®

A pdf can be found here

Downloads - VirtualBox

I will continue with screen images on next post

After opening the software you will begin to create a new machine.

* image 1- name the machine and select the OS to install

*image 2 - select amount of Ram to allocate to new machine ( can change amount at later time if default is select)

*image3- create a new hard disk ( for a new first time machine you can default to new, at later time when multiple machines are created there are options)

*image4-create new virtual disk

*image5- select a location and size in mb for disk

*image6 -machine created ( no OS as of yet )

*image7- select to install new OS

*image8 - open the ISO image file that was downloaded for the OS ( windows 7 in this case )

5aa70f105014b_createvirtualmachine01.jpg.8c32cb4a6c6c95ff93f06cd6536f0e2e.jpg

5aa70f10554b5_createvirtualmachine02ram.jpg.0b9baeb11ab80a02fd97827bb6ca6949.jpg

5aa70f105a3a6_createvirtualmachine03harddisk.jpg.cb19a38d69103d81e484faf638bd821e.jpg

5aa70f105f0e6_createvirtualmachine04newharddisk.jpg.11b7118fe89d42c0f4c41aea7ef6222c.jpg

5aa70f10b3465_createvirtualmachine05newharddisklocation.jpg.015788461422100d28d866096f2494b3.jpg

5aa70f10b9da1_createvirtualmachine07installnewguestOS.jpg.7877e08b64df70200805818f5f2308ba.jpg

5aa70f10c38b0_createvirtualmachine08installnewguestOSburnISO.jpg.0f6862eff240838f865609cd253b7321.jpg

Edited by TIKITRADER
image 6 removed for error in screenshot will replace at next post

In these next screenshots you will see Windows 7 installed, opened, running.

*image9- Installing Windows7 in new virtual machine

*image10 -Windows successful install into new virtual machine as a guest OS running on Host OS Windows XP Pro

*image11 - Traders Lab on Guest OS W7

*image 12 - cpu usage on two OS running at same time with a Q6600 quad core. (cpu went up and down slightly averaging her in this screenshot.

5aa70f10cb663_createvirtualmachine09installwindows7.thumb.jpg.1ca6fb2dace950303ad61830bd265b9d.jpg

5aa70f10d40ee_createvirtualmachine10windows7installationcomplete.thumb.jpg.94fb5f9da926300468e32603dd161005.jpg

5aa70f10ddb68_createvirtualmachine11windows7installationcompletetraderslad.thumb.jpg.e3806917a466021e65805840078a4ef9.jpg

5aa70f10e7be3_createvirtualmachine12windows7cpuusagequadcore6600.thumb.jpg.844dac7b919042831433cb6c78018387.jpg

Here is screenshot #6 I had edited out of the previous post to correct it.

This is when the virtual box was finished being created, no OS was installed at this moment.

**** With the new virtual machine you can leave it open and running on the current OS. All you have to do is place the mouse over the new virtual machine and the new VM will grab mouse and keyboard.

When returning mouse and keyboard to the host OS simply hold the R control key and move mouse and the host will grab the mouse and keyboard.

Screen image attached.

Good Luck !

5aa70f10ed63d_createvirtualmachine06machinecreated.jpg.af75a9b05cd2f1f94c947869820458ba.jpg

5aa70f11032fd_twoOS.thumb.jpg.5e1cfd67f4f014d4d34f135391d3d809.jpg

Tip to enhance. . .

Look to chapter Four to install Guest Additions. These are important as they will enhance the virtual machine.

With these installed you no longer have to use control key to switch mouse and keyboard between OS. You will be able to move freely between them.

Also you can have the windows that are

displayed within a virtual machine appear side by side next to the windows of your

host with the install of additions

To install Guest additions see chapter 4 of the user manual.

5aa70f1121f8b_diskmanagerisofile.thumb.jpg.50ff6049dcd34961055b400dd0214300.jpg

Edited by TIKITRADER
typo

hey Tiki: I have almost totally switched to Linux Mint7 x64 OS with a dual boot to Vista (but I can't even remember when I used the Vista last).

Your posts are most timely for me because I was just thinking this morning about trying Virtual Box.

regards, Rick

Rick I have just looked at the Linux mint7.

Download - Linux Mint

Looks good.

I have added another Virtual Machine today and installed Ubuntu as a second OS.

The steps are exactly the same as above for the first Virtual Machine created.

Screenshots attached.

It is very easy to create multiple VM and try out different OS.

5aa70f1127264_newOSmachine_UbuntuaddOSinstall01.thumb.jpg.9cc6e5b68b56e86e9a8c0e3e90a921ac.jpg

5aa70f112d73a_newOSmachine_UbuntuINSTALLEDcomplete.thumb.jpg.ce6722fb3ba2063fe1b75c7e10eb7e7c.jpg

While researching running multiple OS I came across this is if helps anyone.

Great info on placing Ubuntu on a memory stick and then run it right from windows switching between host and gust OS.

go to how to videos / linux / Run Ubuntu Linux on a USB Drive

http://cnettv.cnet.com/run-ubuntu-linux-usb-drive/9742-1_53-32532.html

Run Ubuntu Linux on a USB Drive.

or you can run it from windows XP here

http://cnettv.cnet.com/pain-free-linux-installation/9742-1_53-28756.html

go to how to videos / linux

Pain Free Linux Installation

Edited by TIKITRADER
fixed video link

Hello TikiTrader!

Vbox is really really cool.

I believe that Vbox is the future. I am running Ubuntu 9.04 as the host. XP is one of my Guests. I am using XP as my trading OS for meta trader 4. It works just like a normal OS, even Avast my AV program works just fine. The only problem that I have yet to solve is the "share folder". Suns' Virtual Box solved the problem of having to run both MS XP for trading and running Linux as main the main OS. Its pretty cool to have:cool: it both ways.

hi Tiki and Phloid,

you guys are dead-on about the "coolness" factor of Vbox and that it will be the future.

I work in a research lab where that's pretty much all we do is fiddle with Virtulized O/S'es.

If you like playing with this stuff, there is another thing you can look at called Ringcube. (I think it's just ringcube.com) there should be a free version of ringcube out there called "Mojopac".

Anyway, what it does is re-uses the running XP kernel to create a whole additional XP desktop. It's neat...

However, I've not tested enough to testify to it's durabilty for a trading environment.

And, btw, I am in NO WAY affiliated with vbox or ringcube.

- Steve

Yes the VBox is really great stuff. I became immediately interested in W7 so much while running it in the VBox I actually installed it on a separate HD.

The only reason I did that was while running the Vbox I noticed I was only utilizing a single core out of a quad core.

I use Multicharts that utilizes the quad core.

( if someone knows better of the VB and its cpu use please correct me as I am new to it. )

I am very much into continuing with the VB on my original drive and needed a way to switch between drives.

I found this guy that gives a schematic to wire a HD switch

Build A SATA Hard Drive Switch For Booting Multiple Operating Systems

Very cool stuff that allows me to switch between a dedicated drive for my trading platform and broker, and the original drive with XP and the VB.

I also found this switch that was reasonably priced compared to others on the market

4 Port SATA II Switch With KeyLock and LED 3Gbps Compatible

it allows up to 4 separate drive to switch between.

That is some great stuff for HD.

Getting back to the Vbox, it has so much potential it is worth the price ( free !! ) really no need for separate drives.

I will be using it to check out different OS and also to set up different OS for different needs.

. . . not affiliated in any way with the VB or Sun Micro, just passing along some great stuff.

Hi Stevio,

thanks for the info concerning RingCube & MojoPac. MojoPac is like having Ubuntu installed on a pen drive. It is an old concept now arriving for those who use XP. I went to their web site. I wanted to try their freebie, but I only install sp1a on XP. One thing for sure MojoPac does have a future. Mobility is always a good thing to have.

I also visited RingCube web site. They stated that 70k was cheap for a virtual desktop. If that is true, I will be using Virtual Box for a very long time.

phloid

Here is one more very useful site for an OS.

Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux

You can run Linux Mint 7 from a flash memory stick and take it wherever you go.

USB Linux Mint 7 Flash Drive creation (Windows) | USB Pen Drive Linux

Following up - booting Linux Mint 7 from a flash drive.

I did have time to try this out.

From the site above at pendrivelinux there are the full instructions on how to do this.

Once the flash memory stick is loaded with Linux Mint 7, you need to change the boot order. Simply reboot, enter the boot order select, change to the usb device and save. reboot and select to boot from usb and OS will open.

It runs very well and this was fairly easy.

Get a large enough flash, load your OS, apps, and data, place on keychain and boot your setup on another computer elsewhere. Or just have multiple flash setups to boot from on home setup.

This is another option to add to your ability to try a different OS out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13774&stc=1&d=1254113519attachment.php?attachmentid=13774&stc=1&d=1254113519

5aa70f2e19227_LINUXBOOTFROMFLASH.thumb.jpg.d1cbf607813465067616cc75637fc533.jpg

Hi there,

Before being a trader, I was a long long long time Linux user and never had a windows setup. Then when I cam to trading, I started to explore VMWare so I could keep my Linux and run charting applications from within Windows. The result was terrible. The cursor was slow to update and there was a lot of ghosting. Keep in mind this was 6 years ago, things may have improved significantly now.

My question to you guys using Linux (or even Mac). How are you guys doing your charting or data mining/analysis? Still have to run under some sort of emulation? I'm not too familiar with these virtual boxes - this is a type of emulation similar to what VMWare would do? I would love to get back to the Linux world (or Mac with their BSD influences now), but charting keeps me stuck in Windows.

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards,

MK

MidKnight:

I have been using Linux Mint with AmiBroker (under Wine) for charting and Interactive Brokers for ~ real time data (runs native in Linux). AmiBroker has a few minor quirks this way, so not quite as good as running in Windows, but I find it fully acceptable. I will probably try IQ feed with Wine in the future - I read somewhere that it worked fine.

http://www.amibroker.org/3rdparty/Amibroker_on_Linux

Perhaps Investor/RT runs in Linux?? I know it was originally designed for Mac.

I intend to try Virtual Box, but don't see the benefit if the one or two programs I need work with Wine.

MidKnight:

I have been using Linux Mint with AmiBroker (under Wine) for charting and Interactive Brokers for ~ real time data (runs native in Linux). AmiBroker has a few minor quirks this way, so not quite as good as running in Windows, but I find it fully acceptable. I will probably try IQ feed with Wine in the future - I read somewhere that it worked fine.

http://www.amibroker.org/3rdparty/Amibroker_on_Linux

Perhaps Investor/RT runs in Linux?? I know it was originally designed for Mac.

I intend to try Virtual Box, but don't see the benefit if the one or two programs I need work with Wine.

Another possibility I forgot to mention is Think or Swim, a popular broker provided package:

https://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/displayPage.tos?webpage=clientApplication&displayFormat=hide

If you check the system requirements Windows and Mac are supported and there is a footnote that says:

"We also have clients who successfully run the software on Linux, Solaris and other Unix variants. Manual update of the software is currently required on these systems and we have no official support for configuring these operating systems."

There are several mentions of issues of updating the software if you Google search, but it appeared that the users were not very experienced and issues were ultimately resolved.

this looks like a good TOS installation how-to for Debian based distributions:

How to Install ThinkorSwim in Linux- Tutorials Connect

Hi R/R,

I can't use TOS because I'm trading Asian Futures exclusively due to my timezone. I use IB as my broker and they also seem to have a Linux platform. However, IB is not sufficient for my charting or my data needs.

That's the main problem with moving off Windows. Unless running windows under some sort of emulation - you are screwed :(

Currently use Neoticker with esignal data on a oldish (single core P4) windows XP machine. My current real-time statistics calculations consume ~65-80% of cpu.

I've long dreamt about coming back to a Linux environment. Maybe it will happen in the future or my trading will change somewhat to allow it to happen. At the moment though, it doesn't sound like its a viable choice for me, sadly :(

Thanks for the thread guys. It prompted me to re-investigate some things.

With kind regards,

MK