Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Ants88

Margin EMini (ES)

Recently, a trader attempted to convince me that his eMini (ES) margin was $1000. He refused to tell me which broker he uses, which allows this low day margin. My Emini (ES) day margin is $6188 with IB, the CME minimum.

Are there a broker's offering lower than CME minimum day margin for eMini (ES)?

What is your day margin for eMini (ES)?

It is very common to have much lower intraday margin rates. IB has a reputation for extremely high ones.

AMP Futures, for one, has most futures instruments in the $400-$500 range (link), but almost all brokers I've seen come close. I personally trade with significantly more capital per contract in the account, but it's available.

That's one of the brokers I use, but they aren't that special: you can find those kinds of rates in most futures brokers (and could possibly get a better commissions deal, depending on your volume). I use the NinjaTrader platform. Their commissions are competitive, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not sure what their published rates are, because I pay under that, but it's in the $4-$5 range for a low volume trader. As a rule, commissions are always negotiable, so don't just accept what they give you, especially if you trade good volume.

I trade with Infinity and IB. Infinity has $500 day trade margins on the e-mini's. Though I have the ability to trade one lot/$500 in equity, I do not trade with that degree of leverage. Commissions at Infinity are comparable with what I pay IB for the e-mini's, but Infinity is higher for other futures, e.g. 6E, 6B. I use the Infinity AT platform. Overall, I am very impressed with Infinity's technology, executions, and especially their customer service. I don't know if this is appropriate to mention here, but my brokers at Infinity are Josh Harris and Patrick Zeilbauer. These two guys have been very professional and very responsive.

PS I've been a lurker at this board for some time, and this is my first post - I know some may think I'm a shill for Infinity, but I assure you I am just a very happy customer.

Best Wishes,

thalestrader

I thought the recent CME bump in margin rates carried over into all of the brokers.

I'm surprised to see other still offering low intraday rates.

I use Tradestation and the 1000 intraday margin has tripled to 3100 in the past two months due to market volatility.

I thought the recent CME bump in margin rates carried over into all of the brokers.

I'm surprised to see other still offering low intraday rates.

I use Tradestation and the 1000 intraday margin has tripled to 3100 in the past two months due to market volatility.

It did deadalus; however, some brokers revert back as quickly as possible and others keep it in place for awhile.

While intraday margin is important to know, if you (and not directed at daedalus) are that concerned about it, be careful how much of that margin you use. It is fun to think of trading per $500 and when you have a good day thinking that you could have made 10x what you did... but you can also lose 10x as much on a losing day.