Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

phreddy

What is a Pip?

I thought that I knew but...

I understood that it was the fourth decimal place for £/$ and Euro/$, that the price was expressed as say 1.5435 and if it went to 1.5436 then the price went up one pip.

My account with Alpari quotes 1.54352, 5 points after the decimal.

Today I bought £/$ at 1.53480 with a TP of 1.53689 where I was stopped out. I made $135.99. I make the difference 209. My trading size is 1.00.

The help page offers no explanation, can somebody please explain?

What do you mean by "help page".

209 / 1.53689 = $135.99 (since $ isn't the base currency)

The 'help page' was the usual 'F1' on the Alpari platform. All about operating the platform but not the basics that I should have paid more attention to much earlier.

Thank you for your help. I have looked at 'babypips' again and now understand.

Most obliged to you HLM, thanks for taking the trouble.

one pip is 0.0001, it is easy to understand

Yes, Karkty, that's what I said "I understood that it was the fourth decimal place for £/$ and Euro/$, that the price was expressed as say 1.5435 and if it went to 1.5436 then the price went up one pip."

It was the fifth decimal place (0.00001) that my broker uses, that threw me. Joy99 and Hlm sorted that out for me but thanks for your interest.

one pip is 0.0001

it is easy to understand

I know you're here just to spam, so may not actually read this, but that's not actually true. In addition to what's been said, a counter-example would be USD/JPY, which is only priced to two decimal places.

I know you're here just to spam, so may not actually read this, but that's not actually true. In addition to what's been said, a counter-example would be USD/JPY, which is only priced to two decimal places.

Thanks Atto, I was quite happy about the 2 decimal price, when I hit the 'pip measurer' on the chart it gave me a sensible reading. For the 5 decimal places I had a big number. That is what caused me to write.

I don't understand the 'spam' allusion! I thought that 'spam' came to e-mails. What does it mean on fora? Would it be the same as 'trolling'.

I don't understand the 'spam' allusion! I thought that 'spam' came to e-mails. What does it mean on fora? Would it be the same as 'trolling'.

The guy above, who posted the nonsensical reply, was simply spamming a quick 3 posts so he could private message (you can't PM before 3 posts) hundreds of users about some forex system he's pawning.