Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

ephi144

Strategy Development

Hi All,

I just found this site. I am a noob trader. I have been performing research on trading strategies. I was wondering if you all could be so kind and share some of your trading strategies. What i am looking for is answers to the following:

1. what markets do you trade?

2. what moving averages do you trade?

3. what time period(s) do you trade?

4. What trading strategy do you trade such as moving averages crossing, rsi, stochastic, macd, candle sticks,etc.

i sincerely appreciate your replying, of course in advance.

Hi All,

I just found this site. I am a noob trader. I have been performing research on trading strategies. I was wondering if you all could be so kind and share some of your trading strategies. What i am looking for is answers to the following:

4. What trading strategy do you trade such as moving averages crossing, rsi, stochastic, macd, candle sticks,etc.

For a start it is crucial to understand indicators are derived from price and are not strategies but can form a part of a particular strategy. So if you want to trade a liquid market such as ESmini on an intraday basis or even on daily or weekly basis, first learn to study price action and in this respect, the info. on the Wyckoff forum is invaluable AND FREE, then proceed to candlestick corner where some simple setups are illustrated . Learn this, experiment with them , learn to recognise these in realtime and apply what has been taught on price action in the Wyckoff forum.

Do not chase expensive seminars, software and gurus and throw away your hard earned savings. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY KEEP AWAY FROM JARGON.;)

Hope this helps

Hi All,

Hi ephi144

How will this help you if you have answers to the questions? If I tell you that I trade NQ on a 5 minute time frame with a 21 period moving average, how will this help you? There are so many different ways to trade, that if you ask 10 people, you will get 10 different answers. If you google it, you will find 1000's more. You will need to find something which suits you and this would not be necessarily something which "works" for another person.

There are many different ways to trade, but unfortunately some people have a very narrow viewpoint and believe their method is the only way to trade and dismiss anything else which dare to be different than theirs. Be careful with advise like that and keep an open mind.

You need to find something which fits you. This is overwhelming to start, but read as much as you can. On this forum is a wealth of information. Read everything and you will find that here and there pieces will make sense to you or just feel right. Note it down and after a while you will have pieces you can put together together and come up with something unique to you which you feel comfortable with.

If this sound hard and difficult and like it will take a long time, this is because it is and it will. You can't expect to be an expert in any field without spending much effort and time and trading is no different.

sevensa is right. This is a game where you have to pull together a vast amount of information and develop your own methods. My methods likely won't work for you and if you develop your own it likely wouldn't work for me. Self reliance is the only way to survive in the market.

firstly I sincerely thank you for your replies. What i am trying to learn is what sort of indicators, strategies, Emas, etc. do traders include in their daily analysis as well as what time frames. (heck coming from trading stocks i had no clue about the darn ticks).

for example, BearBull's post taught me about Wyackoff theory. I know a bit about regular indicators (such as RSI, STOCH, macd, BB, ATR, etc) but do not of how people use them. Such as BBSqueeze indicator, smoothed RSI, etc. I have had no idea you could do use indicators like the above 2.

I am not in search of a holy grail nor i want to learn everything. But want to learn about what sort of things do people incorporate in their trading. such as volume or other volume related indicators, bid/ask related indicators. Speaking of bid/ask i do not know how to use them or what they are. I hope this clears up the intentions that i have by asking the above questions.

I recommend you have a look at the candlestick corner if you're looking for a specific strategy. There is a thread in there that has something to do with a 20 ema and hammers. They discuss entries in there I think. As far as the indicators, most people here including myself don't really use them. I will sometimes check the 200 or 50 simple moving averages but I don't use them for any specific setup. I'll glance at the ATR from time to time too but that's about it. I find them distracting but that's just me.

Perhaps someone else who uses indicators can chime in?

You might want to get Edwards & Magees book on TA or John Murphys. Both are considered fairly good introductory texts on technical analysis.

Depends exactly what you want to achieve. Quite a few guys here have 'progressed' through indicators to reading price action. (Though there are a couple of different churches they worship at;))

If you are looking for a technique that clicks with you, there is a sticky post somewhere that points to some of the best threads on TL.