Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

A Program to Turn Computer on Autmatically?

Anyone know of a program that will start a computer at a set time? I've read via google searches that it might be possible in the BIOS, but not being that savvy, I was hoping to find a program that can do it.

If you know of any programs that will turn your computer on at a set time, please post here. While freeware is nice, not necessary.

Thanks!

Anyone know of a program that will start a computer at a set time? I've read via google searches that it might be possible in the BIOS, but not being that savvy, I was hoping to find a program that can do it.

If you know of any programs that will turn your computer on at a set time, please post here. While freeware is nice, not necessary.

Thanks!

It has to be bios level. That or leave comp on all the time. ;)

Thanks MC. I'll have to reboot them and see if I can do that or not. Fingers crossed.

Good luck...hope you have the option. The other thing as I brainstorm is you might be able run a timer to the wall. This would hinge on the comp having a hard power button, not a soft one.

Yeah, I'd go with the wall timer. It's much greener too and also more secure if you turn your internet on/off on the same socket.

In bios you will be able to set On = Power On without waiting for a button.

Good luck...hope you have the option. The other thing as I brainstorm is you might be able run a timer to the wall. This would hinge on the comp having a hard power button, not a soft one.

What do you mean MC? Not sure what hard or soft button is.

What do you mean MC? Not sure what hard or soft button is.

Hard would be like a hardware button/physical manual switch.

Soft would be tied to software/bios and not a physical switch mechanically.

hope that makes more sense

Hard would be like a hardware button/physical manual switch.

Soft would be tied to software/bios and not a physical switch mechanically.

hope that makes more sense

On the laptop that I would like to do this on, I have to push a button down in order to turn the laptop on. Hopefully that is what you mean.

If so, does that mean I can try the timer idea?

Bf, for your laptop you need to check the bios settings. You should be able to set it "hard on" so that when the power comes up it is turned on without pressing the button. Then a timer will work.

Guest forsearch

Thanks!

Is the reason to have the PC up and waiting for you when you're ready to trade early in the morning?

Looks like I'll just have to make sure the computer gets turned on as soon as I get up so it has time to run. This particular laptop does not have the BIOS thing that I can change (or I did not see it). You would think something like this would just be a common feature that Windows has, guess not. I could see many people and businesses wanting a feature like this. And if you are not comfortable going into the BIOS, you won't be able to use it (if your computer can even support it to begin with).

Bummer.

I found one company that has a program that does this function, but the reviews on it are terrible and their own site is not up anymore, so I'm guessing it's no longer supported. Only found one though out there.

Guest forsearch
Looks like I'll just have to make sure the computer gets turned on as soon as I get up so it has time to run.

Quick thought occured.

Does your laptop support Hibernation or Standby modes? Why not try rebooting your computer before you retire for the evening and load it with your regular trading programs. Then put it into either standby or hibernation.

Depending on your setup, you should be up and running within a minute or so later in the morning...

Might be worth testing out.

Quick thought occured.

Does your laptop support Hibernation or Standby modes? Why not try rebooting your computer before you retire for the evening and load it with your regular trading programs. Then put it into either standby or hibernation.

Depending on your setup, you should be up and running within a minute or so later in the morning...

Might be worth testing out.

I may give it a go!

Looks like I'll just have to make sure the computer gets turned on as soon as I get up so it has time to run. This particular laptop does not have the BIOS thing that I can change (or I did not see it). You would think something like this would just be a common feature that Windows has, guess not. I could see many people and businesses wanting a feature like this. And if you are not comfortable going into the BIOS, you won't be able to use it (if your computer can even support it to begin with).

Bummer.

I found one company that has a program that does this function, but the reviews on it are terrible and their own site is not up anymore, so I'm guessing it's no longer supported. Only found one though out there.

It's not a windows thing...its a bios thing.

The bios is software that relays from hardware to the operating system basically. It's 1st in line and is your limitation.

Businesses if anything would use wake on lan. They want the comp to start when they are pushing updates over the network typically.

Try sleep mode, thats what I do and then reboot if/when things get fishy. Reboots are needed from time 2 time to flush temp files etc...

Guest forsearch

Try sleep mode, thats what I do and then reboot if/when things get fishy. Reboots are needed from time 2 time to flush temp files etc...

I'd reboot every afternoon after RTH. Then start it up after 6pm ET again. Put it back to sleep (hibernation or standby) for the evening.

For me, it works on the laptops, but not on the desktops due to video card driver issues causing the dreaded BSOD on restart.

YMMV.

-fs