Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

parura

Account Size Importance

I was wondering one thing..

1. Assume I have trading account size $10.000. This is 30% of my savings I have ($30.000). I will risk 2% each trade ($200). My max drawdown is 30%. Once this level is reached I will stop trading. It tells me system or trader need change, right? Once I am confident again I have to re-build my account size (i.e. by saving regular income or adding from savings account). So I lost 30% - $3.000. I am done for some time trading (if ever again)

2. Assume I have $3.000 trading account and $27.000 left on savings account. Same system with $200 risk each trade (this time it would be 6% - very risky). I say my max drawdown this time is 100% (or near)!!! WOW!!!. Assume I lost the account and to trade again I need new $3.000

In both cases I lost the same amount - $3.000. Both cases I lost 10% of my savings.

Now....beside psychological aspect (100% vs 30%) is there a difference?

PS: I intentionally assumed the same amount of savings because otherwise it would matter how much you lost ($3.000 may be all the savings you had)

Difference is #1 could bleed a slow death and #2 could be a swift and quick take down.

It comes down to what your system has shown in backtesting and forward testing. A $200 stop is not huge, but also can be plenty if managed properly.

Guest forsearch

Another book to read would be Ryan Jones, the Trading Game.

Says the book blurb:

The Trading Game shows you how to harness the power of money management for any trading method. "The goal of most futures traders is to make a million dollars as fast and as painlessly as possible....

-fs

Bringing the matter I was thinking how do you manage your account in terms of "how much of an account do you keep at brokerage account". What I was thinking of is to keep 5% of account size at broker account and 95% at my bank. These could have 2 advantages:

1. You gain interest rate

2. You are disabled to do stupid things like risking more than 5% (at least to the moment you make a transfer but that might be enough to think things over and cool down)

Now, is it a good idea or not(why)?