Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jonbig04

Jonbig04's Log

Took a stop today for -1.25. Saw the small move of 2 or so points, obviously I wanted more. Just goes to show that the level was correct, but price had other ideas. which is ok because if it was going to take of higher, it would ave done so at my level...or a good chance at least.

Trying to do a stop run study. Too often do vol spikes occur just before a large move. As atto pointed out, there's no way to tell if that's a stop run or a break out. Or is there? I'm trying to see if I can distinguish them with any profitability. As with any system, its difficult to define specifically what you are looking for because if you wait for all criterion to be met, your fill is shit. With a 1 point stop, i can't afford crappy fill. Worked on this all last night with moderate success. I'm going to play around with it for the rest of the day. Im trying to focus on what price is doing, what a stop run IS and what it means in terms of supply and demand-how can I use that info to find them and get the killer entries that result? hmm.

I think I'm on to something with this stop-run study. Im sick of charts right now, will likely continue the study tomorrow between trades. It's helpful because its looking like the stop run strategy works decently on months when my s/r picking is great (and is my net), but does very well when my s/r picking my be a little off, making up the slack. Anyways I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I think its a sound concept. I know I can get killer trades with a 1 point stop using the 5 sec and stop run hunting may be one way to do it.

As far as trading tomorrow goes...my TL has never been in danger and was bounced off of on 5/7 at 15:34 at 898. I have a major area at 940. May try to get a long in in the AM if I can, other wise I must wait. Does appear to be some R up here in the 925s, but my guess it that it will break to the upside, we'll see.

finished my stop study, it works pretty well. Just another way of re-entering so no big changes there. NO trades today, this is all no mans land to me-which sucks.

I'm going to study my targets. I tested everything out with static targets, but we all know they suck. my average win is 9ES, but i know with this time frame I can aim for much, much more.

Looking back at the week, I was able to catch the LOD once and I netted 10 from that. The next day my short was stopped 2 ticks below the HOD, the day after my short was stopped 1 point below the HOD, and today my short was stopped 2 ticks below the HOD. The purpose of this isn't to brag or rant, but rather recognize a weakness and try to fix it. The problem is simple. I am still getting my stop run. I cannot simply enter higher, because sometimes I miss the move by missing the fill. today for example, I missed fill on a long by 2 ticks. All of these trades would have netted me 9 ES. I don't expect to catch them all, but it seems like I should have been able to capitalize more off of them. I have developed stop-run rules that makeme more profitable, but I want to be an expert. I want to be able to know with 75% certainty when I see a stop run. I HATE the idea of having my stop run and not getting back in. What am I some loser noob who has no idea whats going on? Apparently. Bah. My work is cut out for me.

No Reply.

I had a question for you, but I realised the answer, after examining you're most recent attached pictures.

Edited by CazMoney
Realised the answer to my initial question.

haha, tell me about it. No, i think you're misunderstanding. What I mean is a few times I was short, then got stopped out just under the HOD. Meaning after stopping out my short by a few ticks, the market went down for the rest of the day. click the pics to see what i mean.

Yeah sorry, I realsied that after I posted my question. So there's no confusion, my initial question was:

Why are you putting your stops "Below" the HOD. "

I then examined your posts and realised you were getting stopped prior to the HOD being made.

microtrader takes tiny bit out of the market

macrotrader takes bite out of the market

don't use macro analysis to do micro trades,

and vis versa