Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

karim0028

Interactive Brokers (autotrader) Front End W/ Investor/RT Charting

Hi Guys,

Im new here.... I am looking at joining IB (im on a mac and i love my mac ;) I am currently on Thinkorswim (great broker) but their commission for futures is $7 roundtrip (pretty high)....

Ive heard horror stories of IB's TWS and their sorry ass charts.... So, i am thinking of using them simply as a broker (good commissions) with autotrader (free) front end along with Investor/RT for charting....

Thinkorswim is great but with the almost 30-40% higher commissions i feel i can easily cover the cost of top notch charting software while actually trading...

Does this seem like a good setup? Can anyone comment with a better setup? Ive been reviewing it for the last couple of days and this seems to be the best for the price point....

I am planning on using IB's free live US market data feed and just pay for the standard charting with Investor/RT ($39/month)....

Am i missing anything? Is there anything else i would need?

Thanks guys,

Karim0028

Unfortunately there are still a lot more choices with Windows than OSX, so you may want to consider Parallels or VMWare (don't forget to add memory).

Most futures trader uses a DOM (depth of market) entry of some sort, which autotradersoftware doesn't seem to support.

BTW, Jerry Sy (autotradersoftware) is the brother of Larry Sy, who is the author of Bracket Trader (BT) Both are very affordable/free and limited free mode for BT. Brothers Sy are good programmers and good guys. Don't forget to register/donate if you find their software of use.

MacBT.png

Hi Guys,

Im new here.... I am looking at joining IB (im on a mac and i love my mac ;) I am currently on Thinkorswim (great broker) but their commission for futures is $7 roundtrip (pretty high)....

Ive heard horror stories of IB's TWS and their sorry ass charts.... So, i am thinking of using them simply as a broker (good commissions) with autotrader (free) front end along with Investor/RT for charting....

Thinkorswim is great but with the almost 30-40% higher commissions i feel i can easily cover the cost of top notch charting software while actually trading...

Does this seem like a good setup? Can anyone comment with a better setup? Ive been reviewing it for the last couple of days and this seems to be the best for the price point....

I am planning on using IB's free live US market data feed and just pay for the standard charting with Investor/RT ($39/month)....

Am i missing anything? Is there anything else i would need?

Thanks guys,

Karim0028

NinjaTrader have just made their charting and strategy testing package free for non-live trading. NT accepts IB data feed. IB Time & Sales is not on a tick-by-tick basis apparently and just gives a snapshot about every 0.2 - 0.3 seconds.

Eric