Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

The Bear

How Does Open E Cry Charting Compare to TradeStation?

I downloaded the OEC demo and theres a few things I noticed right off bat compared to TS (I use TS for charts and my broker currently).

1 - TS is a cpu HOG! If you don't have at least 2gb of memory and you want to run more than just TS, forget it. OEC is much better.

2 - Once you customize the OEC charts the way you want, they are very easy to read.

3 - It's really simple to trade from the OEC chart, personally I love this feature for scalping.

4 - You can do a lot more programming and theres a ton of support out there for TS.

5 - TS is slow, and I've been having technical difficulties lately

I like the customizable feature of TS. There are a few things I still need to work out with OEC but I'm sure it won't take long to figure out.

Brownsfan should chime in soon, he has OEC and makes a lot more trades than I do. He will have a lot more info off the top of his head than I will for OEC.

I would recommend though that you download the OEC demo and play it with for a few weeks and see how you like it. Try to customize everything how you like it and just play with it. Also check out this thread if you already haven't.

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f92/tradestation-the-good-the-bad-or-3222.html

Here's my opinion of the two - if you need/want the ability to program, backtest, etc. TS is a nice option. I was with TS for awhile at one point.

If the OEC charts are sufficient for what you need, then OEC offers the complete and total package from start to finish.

In the end it comes down to what you need as OEC does not have everything that TS offers. More and more is added with each upgrade, but there are things not present that some could not trade w/o.

Guest forsearch

Still trying to figure out the Custom Indicator functions in OEC Trader charting.

It won't import an .eld directly, although it will compile in C# from a plain-text Easy Language code.

Anyone try it out yet?

Although I have no programming experience. I've tried to import easy language from my clip board and functions. Never had any luck. Doesn't make sense, you think someone with programming skills would have figured all this out. However, I've searched google and forums and nothing comes up.:crap:

Guest forsearch

Yeah, I know what you mean....

Maybe OEC power-user BrownsFan will be able to chime in with his thoughts and get some feedback from the powers that be over there (like Rob Vinicky)...

-fs

Is OEC meant to import easylanguage? I am certainly down for a test drive if it does.

From Open E Cry's website:

"EasyLanuage, Sophisticated Function.

OEC Trader’s Custom Indicators gives you the power and compatibility of TradeStation’s EasyLanguage and the resources and function of Technical Analysis Library. Whether you are just beginning to explore custom indicators or you have been creating and writing code for awhile, OEC Trader’s Custom Indicators gives you the tools and functionality to take your trading to the next level!"

and

"EasyLanguage ™ Compatibility

OEC Trader’s Custom Indicators plug-in allows you to use and develop EasyLanguage analysis techniques.

Library of EasyLanguage Functions

You can create your own library of EasyLanguage functions. Just save your EasyLanguage file with extension ".lib.el" (for example, MyFunctions.lib.el), and your indicator is placed in a common library. "

Hope this gives your more information on the subject. There is a platform for writing code, for easy language and C#. I, personally, have zero knowledge of either one. Hope this helps.

Am up for demo with OEC if i can import easylanguage indis.

In fact i did a demo on it last year. But went with NT for one reason or another. the DOM for oec is good. Free compared to NT , which cost.

So there's many pluses for OEC

From Open E Cry's website:

"EasyLanuage, Sophisticated Function.

OEC Trader’s Custom Indicators gives you the power and compatibility of TradeStation’s EasyLanguage and the resources and function of Technical Analysis Library. Whether you are just beginning to explore custom indicators or you have been creating and writing code for awhile, OEC Trader’s Custom Indicators gives you the tools and functionality to take your trading to the next level!"

and

"EasyLanguage ™ Compatibility

OEC Trader’s Custom Indicators plug-in allows you to use and develop EasyLanguage analysis techniques.

Library of EasyLanguage Functions

You can create your own library of EasyLanguage functions. Just save your EasyLanguage file with extension ".lib.el" (for example, MyFunctions.lib.el), and your indicator is placed in a common library. "

Hope this gives your more information on the subject. There is a platform for writing code, for easy language and C#. I, personally, have zero knowledge of either one. Hope this helps.

Thanks JW.....now you have made me look all lazy :sleep: I was expecting one of the users just to say yes/no hehe.

Thanks JW.....now you have made me look all lazy :sleep: I was expecting one of the users just to say yes/no hehe.

Ah sorry, didn't mean to make you look lazy.:haha::sleep: I really just wanted to supply complete information, so maybe it will gain interest.

Just to share....I signed up for the demo today.

tried to download the codes posted by blu-ray in this forum to test.

Only managed to compile one without errors.

Anyone has any success with easylanguage codes download to OEC ?

Please share . Thanks

Have a great weekend !

Hello all, I have a question about Open E-Cry charts. Where does volume come from? Is is only from the Open E-Cry itself or is it coming from the interbank market or from the centralize exchange?

Reason I ask is that I may consider using volume informations from their charts for currency future instead of using proxy volume of forex spot broker who do not represent true volume at all.

Put another way, is volume seeing on the Open E-Cry charts does represent true volume of numbers of shares or contracts traded from the true interbank market or is it just another proxy volume as we usually find in spot forex broker chart like MT4 and the like?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer as this important for me.

Also, is there a possibility to get the VWAP indicator on Open E-Cry charts?

Have a great trading next week to all

Sincerely

Shreem:)

Edit: Is there a way on the chart to get more than 3 months of data? For 6EU8, on daily chart it only goes until may 08?

Guest forsearch

6EU8 is the Sept 08 Euro currency futures trading at the CME via the electronic Globex platform. It trades on a centralized exchange (CME) and thus has actual traded volume of that currency future contract. It is not proxy volume at all.

Good luck trying to get more than 3 or 4 months minute or daily based data of a given front month contract in OEC. You'll note that you only get a week's worth of tick/volume data for any contract as well.

-fs

Hello Forsearch, thanks a lot for your answer. Very much appreciated. Is it standard practice on the globexto have these limited historical data or does it have more to do with some limitations on charting with Open E-Cry software?

Again, thanks a lot for your fast reply Forsearch

Have a great day

Sincerely

Shreem:)

Guest forsearch
Is it standard practice on the globexto have these limited historical data or does it have more to do with some limitations on charting with Open E-Cry software?

It's not Globex or the CME that has the "limited historical data", but your data source provider. Remember, the OEC charting is a complementary service offered by OEC to its customers. It is by no means meant to be a comprehensive charting system. Still, for a free charting service it has features that rival those found on paid services, like Tradestation or E-Signal, data notwithstanding.

It's not Globex or the CME that has the "limited historical data", but your data source provider. Remember, the OEC charting is a complementary service offered by OEC to its customers. It is by no means meant to be a comprehensive charting system. Still, for a free charting service it has features that rival those found on paid services, like Tradestation or E-Signal, data notwithstanding.

That's it in a nutshell - for a free platform, you'll have trouble finding anything comparable. If you need more data, you will need to get an external data source and charting software. It would be nice for OEC to open up the historical database, but not sure if/when that will happen. I've put the bug in their ear for awhile now and I believe it's a storage/database issue.

Thanks for the help FS.

Guest forsearch

One major change I found in OEC charting in demo ver 3.2.0.3 is the time of each candlestick bar.

In current live ver 3.2.0.1, the timestamp for the bar is when it OPENED.

However, in the new demo, 3.2.0.3, the timestamp for each bar is when it CLOSES, if it indeed has closed. Otherwise, you get a timestamp of the current time when you checked it.

Anyone know why? (Was this a request of yours, Brownsfan?)

Don't know who or why it was changed, but it ain't for the better, that's for sure.

-fs

Guest forsearch
I use OEC but I use SierraChart for charting. Feel free to ask me anything you want about OEC.

Here's a question for ya...

Why does OEC use the wrong EMA in its RSI calculation?

Should be using Wilder's EMA, but uses the standard (modern) EMA instead.

Here's a question for ya...

Why does OEC use the wrong EMA in its RSI calculation?

Should be using Wilder's EMA, but uses the standard (modern) EMA instead.

I don't know. The only thing I use OEC for is order entry. Like I said, I use SierraChart for my charting and for RSI moving average calculation you get the following choices:

Exponential MA

Linear Regression

Simple MA

Weighted MA

Wilder's MA

Simple MA SkipZero (not sure how this is different from regular Simple MA)

Smoothed MA

For RSI you can also select the following:

Input Data - Last, OHLC/4, HLC/3, HL/2, Open, High, or Low

RSI Length

RSI Mov Avg Length

Line 1 Value (the "high line" - 70 by default)

Line 2 Value (the "low line" - 30 by default)

Average Type (mentioned above)

I use OEC but I use SierraChart for charting. Feel free to ask me anything you want about OEC.

Is it possible to implement The Market Statistics described by JERRY using OEC or Sierra Chart ?

I tried using Sierra Chart and found the vwap different and couldn't find the SD as per Market Statistics part IV.

I haven't try OEC custom indicators yet.