Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

That One Guy

Solar!!

Anything solar was hot today and has been hot for a while now. One questions, that if these things are in a serious bubble. I wasn't around for the 99 tech boom. However, after looking at charts from back then, prices can just keep going and going for a long time. Some solar stocks that are hot are as follows: Fslr, Solf, Csiq, Csun, Spwr, Akns, Yge and im sure there are more. Tempting to start calling tops, but something tells me I may be averaging in for a long time. Good luck to anyone trading these things.

I do hope alternative energy companies continue to grow as it will bring more awareness and higher stock prices.

CSUN has been up and down for a while and been public for about 8 months now and still not reached the point where it is trading at a price equivalent or above its IPO price. Given the alternative energy demand though, it may climb above $16 early next year. The last thing China cares about is solar energy as a new coal powerplant is coming online, what, every week or so?! Alternative energy demands are coming from the States and EU, not China.

For FSLR, that stock is running. Dec 21st it was $249 and now it is trading above $280 and was up over $8 today. Their profit margin is over 28% of their business and in the 3rd quarter had $159M in revenue, up from $134M in all of 2006. Their total assets have also doubled since 2006. From Arizona.

SOLF is another company up 30% since Dec 21st. I don't know what is driving this, but with a stock price of $36, it sure is pretty. Their rate of growth is slower than FSLR, but still strong. Based out of China as well.

AKNS looks good but they make solar energy panels for the consumer and small business. With the housing crunch, many people will not be going for it and most small business won't be able to afford such types of power. The other above companies help create powerplants.

SPWR also makes parts for powerplants but has only gained about $10 per share since Dec 21. The total revenue is still not as strong, gain wise, as FSLR or SOLF.

Me being a newb, I think that they look pretty attractive to ride for a bit. Feel free to rip me if I'm wrong though :)

Take a look at STP. Some are suggesting it will hit 110 by Friday....others in the next 2-3 months but all agree that it definitely will. This would be a nice time to get in, the price dropped to 73.90 this morning. Another market factor may have made it take a hit today as alot of other solar stocks are also down despite AKNS and STP signing an agreement to distribute solar panels in Japan, Europe, and Australia.

Okay, I trade with Vsa and my post shows you how easy the professionals kill us in these markets. It's so easy for them to markup a sector and have it look unstoppable. However, catching a so much weakness on these solar charts my short term views changed. I just thought it was funny that I follow VSA and believe in how the markets really work, but I still was damn tricked into thinking it was up up up from here!! I personally believe that vsa is the key to success because there are sooo many pros in this market and soo many time when prices haul ass, but the result from the effort to go up is down. Earning blow out, but prices sell off? I don't know im a pawn in this chess game, but Id like to know what the king and queen are doing. ps. i've been drinking so if above comment don't make sense I'm sorry