Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

NetTecture

Protecting Infrastructure

Do you guys run serious protection for your infrastructure?

I was reconfiguring some storage yesterday preparing for some discs upgrades (and I did not have slots on that server for more discs, so I decided to disable the SSD cache).

The 50gb data write dump - triggered 3 disc failures within 5 minutes, taking a Raid 6 down and destroying more than 1tb on data, mostly virtual machines. Pretty much - outside some large data stores (tick data, sql for analysis) all my small trading operation consists of.

Thank heaven I take backups 2x per day, every 15 minutes for very time critical things (like emails) and we had the new discs (actually SSD) already ready.

But that makes me wonder - how much are you guys preparing for contingencies? My background is IT, running a small IT company (not focusing on trading), so I have the whole thing totally set up (including replicating my trading machines down to my office every 30 seconds). Most traders I talk to are ignorant in this area (that reads down to "Hah? Backup? I have a good disc"). How do you deal with power outages? Internet breakdowns?

Do you guys run serious protection for your infrastructure?

Serious protection... no. I have a UPS that has saved my bacon a couple of times. I run "shadow protect" for backups and disk imaging. Backups run every day, with disk imaging every 2 weeks. My system is dedicated solely to trading operations... there is not a lot of data created during the day... so what I do is probably overkill.

Serious protection... no. I have a UPS that has saved my bacon a couple of times. I run "shadow protect" for backups and disk imaging. Backups run every day, with disk imaging every 2 weeks. My system is dedicated solely to trading operations... there is not a lot of data created during the day... so what I do is probably overkill.

That is quite serious. I have a large UPS for now (large - 10kw output for an hour), do regular backups. Just sometimes is strikes. Preparation is everything.

Desaster happened to me yesterday, all except possibly some emails in a spool was back this morning. Just when I wrote i used that for my first blog post on my own new trading side - Trade-Robots - Technical Risk. Are you prepared for a disaster?

Thank heaven I start being paranoid by now - all servers not at home are backed up every 30 seconds ;) Having good backups saved me from a lot of problems this time. Not the first time a RAID array dies ;)

That is quite serious. I have a large UPS for now (large - 10kw output for an hour), do regular backups. Just sometimes is strikes. Preparation is everything.

Desaster happened to me yesterday, all except possibly some emails in a spool was back this morning. Just when I wrote i used that for my first blog post on my own new trading side - Trade-Robots - Technical Risk. Are you prepared for a disaster?

Thank heaven I start being paranoid by now - all servers not at home are backed up every 30 seconds ;) Having good backups saved me from a lot of problems this time. Not the first time a RAID array dies ;)

I can only imagine. Damn! What a nightmare. And having experienced that,I don't think you are being paranoid. I think it's taking measures against any other future happenings,which is a good thing.