Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

michaelstuarts

DOW/Gap Plays:Fade/Trade/OR Just Observe ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=1340&stc=1&d=1177608223

The Dow is above 1300

Many stock charts (e.g. AMZN) are giving mixed signals. Some stocks have shown exhaustion and overbought indications before the DOW reaching an all-time high. Now many stocks appear to have breakaway gaps and appear to to have new life to to them. I don't like to follow the crowd after news. Is this a breakaway gap ? Will this gap close in the next few weeks ? or Is this a new long-term trend ? Will the DOW keep making new highs or will the bubble burst ?

Will the investors holding this security be in for a surprise ?

Housing market is down and the dollar is weak, what other economic indicators

should I consider ?

Where can I learn more about gaps and gap plays ?

Thank you,

//Michael

Several stocks have this kind of pattern now.

AMAZON.png.c628e2a5d0b757418e75be5dfe431fee.png

Guest cooter

Where can I learn more about gaps and gap plays ?

TradeTheMarkets.com has an extensive library of training videos and commentaries on trading the gaps.

Many stock charts (e.g. AMZN) are giving mixed signals. Some stocks have shown exhaustion and overbought indications before the DOW reaching an all-time high.

Michael - in a trend - up or down - indicators are going to be useless in my opinion. Just look how long AMZN has been 'overbought'.

One thing I learned about indicators - they can stay overbought much longer than your account can stomach trying to short them. I don't use these types of indicators anymore for this very example. As soon as you get caught into a strong trend and your indicator keeps saying it's time to short, you will get hammered. Once the market takes a breather and/or enters more 'choppy' times, the indicator will look like gold assuming you and your account are still trading.