Jump to content

Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

  • Welcome Guests

    Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Simba1021

Simba's TopstepTrader Combine Journal”

Recommended Posts

Today is the first day that I traded in a top step combine, and I am allowed to trade with bigger size in this portfolio and my max position size can be 10 contracts.

 

In today's case, I traded with just 5, but scalped because of today's choppy market conditions. I trade the NQ, and I found the consolidation to be what I needed to take a trade on a minor break, and drop to below today's pivot.

 

Approximately, the highs and lows of today's range in NQ were 3144 and 3125, so I decided to enter a short at 3135.75 and ride the morning range down to 3135 and 3132.5. The exits were both protective stops. At first I had my stops above today's higher print like 3140 and I just tightened them up as prices started to firm up below the pivot.

 

I felt some greed at 3125 at 9:50 CST because my position swelled to near 1000 unrealized gains, but I realized there would not be much expect from what looks like a light volume inside day.

 

 

 

My best trade was the entry 3135.75 which was solid, it took some patience to be sure that I would wait until the morning range to play itself out, but my worst trade could have been not tightening up the stop closer to the market price near 10 CST. I will improve by managing the size of my trades as the combine progresses.

 

So even though I finished the day with one trade yielding 225 there were 25 in commissions, but I learned the value of being quickly in and out on these kinds of flat conditions.

1HourChart.thumb.png.9a5d9ae89e831e875a6edf2da2ad4b72.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The second day of the trading combine

 

The strength of the sell off this morning in the NQ was too much for what I was prepared for, but I was able to carve out some profits after the market started bottoming out near 3070. The problem with protecting my long entry was how quick I was to take partial exits. At the end of the day I ended up positive 185 to stay consistent with my winning day percentage.

TradersLab.thumb.png.8898281b4288704617905adbc122adca.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a more difficult day to trade because my intuition led me to believe there would be a bounce, and I played that bounce. After covering my long position, the market moved past several resistance points and I was forced to cover the majority of my short position before the market rolled over in the afternoon. Based on my system, I would normally add to a position when momentum increases, and we saw that in the breakout from the afternoon congestion, which was another chance to sell into strength. Even though my losses were made smaller from the damage done in the morning, I was able to come back with a loss which was acceptable and show that I am making money overall. 2/3 days winners.

 

The annotations on the attached chart should give some insight as to my rationale behind the trades.

PainInTheAss.thumb.png.127435a08be5bc0d0bd51ac1cf81a488.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had 3/4 winning days and my account went from 100,000 to 100,375. So I will be more selective about the days when I trade because this only leaves me 6 days to make nearly more than 8,000.

 

Today I grew my account by $320 mostly from the downswing in the afternoon and I was not applying enough pressure in terms of having a big enough of a short. I'm used to a contract range of 1-3 instead of 4 to 7 NQ contracts.

 

It would have been amazing to hit the 3100 NQ level which was above R2 on the daily pivots but I was not comfortable with that much risk. Also, in adding to shorts I had my stops tight, and this inhibited me from having 6 contracts or more where I would have an average short entry between 3085 and 3090 because they were blown out.

 

I was not fearful but a little frustrated in how fast we went higher, and originally I planned on getting involved at 10AM EST because that has been the recent pattern, to run the indices higher early and then sell off.

 

Today was a real pain, even if it meant I would be able to extract a profit from a 25 or more point range from crest to low on 10 contracts, in a way I left 2,000 on the table, it still was something to learn from regarding a low volume market with little extrinsic shock from the news or Fed action.

 

I may hold myself to not trading at all tomorrow because I'm waiting on the Fed minutes and the after effect, its just on a day where there could be an "inside day" tighter range, its not even worth trading until the markets get some earth shaking news to allow for more momentum.

 

The strategy going forward is to sell into strength and then buy the dips on value even if the size of the short or long positions aren't completely balanced. There is still plenty of time, and I feel confident about having much bigger gains even if it means coming out of my comfort zone with a 7 contract size trade.

SellAt3100.thumb.png.0410897400c36dc669718ea750630fc3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Date : 21st November 2019. Equities continue lower ahead of ECB – 21st November 2019.Equities continue lower ahead of ECB – Stock markets head south on trade deal doubts, while a risk-off, or at least a risk-wary sentiment looks likely to prevail, which could keep safe-haven currencies, primarily the JPY and USD, underpinned, The high beta currencies such as the Dollar bloc and many developing-world currencies are under pressure.Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business.Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report.Click HERE to access the full HotForex Economic calendar.Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE!Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HotForex Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • I keep getting a "connection refused" error when I try to use https with any link on your site.   but http works ok.   Is there any reason for this?     I also have two other tickets here and here that never got any replies.   Can you see them?  
    • EA in my opinion are coded to follow the technical analysis so they might require monitoring during the highly volatile markets, so anyone who wishes to go automated should read EA manuals before implementing them.
    • So here is the good news to surprise us again, i will try my luck in this VIP contest and let see what new opportunities i will be able to unleash this time.
    • So we are near to holidays now, Q4 is also gonna end soon and we will be preparing to make new plans for the upcoming new year.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.