Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

alibaba5055

GTD - Getting Things Done , To - Do List Management Software

Hi !

Which software do you use for managing your "Tasks to be done" lists ? I have tried using Excel and Mind Maps, but they are not very efficient at it. While searching for the solution, I came to know about "GTD - Getting Things Done". I wanted to know if you guys have any experience with this ? Which software do you use for managing your priorities properly ?

Thanks for any input

For those who are new to the concept of GTD, here is some basic information from wikipedia -

Getting Things Done - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Getting Things Done is a book by productivity consultant David Allen that describes the method/procedure that he created with the same title name, often referred to simply as GTD.

The Getting Things Done method rests on the idea that a person needs to move tasks out of the mind by recording them externally, so the mind is free from the job of remembering the tasks that need to be completed. One can then concentrate on performing the tasks, instead of remembering.

Hi !

Which software do you use for managing your "Tasks to be done" lists ? I have tried using Excel and Mind Maps, but they are not very efficient at it. While searching for the solution, I came to know about "GTD - Getting Things Done". I wanted to know if you guys have any experience with this ? Which software do you use for managing your priorities properly ?

Thanks for any input

Hello,

I have heard that rescuetime.com is really good. I have not personally used it. I am still getting help from outlook reminders but I dont think you are just looking for that.

I hope this helps!

Hello,

I have heard that rescuetime.com is really good. I have not personally used it. I am still getting help from outlook reminders but I dont think you are just looking for that.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion Eddie. :)

Yes, I am looking for such self management / time management tools only.

Thanks

How to Prioritize When Everything Is Important

How to Prioritize When Everything Is Important

You know that sinking feeling you have when there's too much on your plate? When you try to tackle your tasks by priority, but it feels like everything's important? Don't get overwhelmed—it's a problem that everyone faces at some point or another, and while it's difficult to skillfully juggle multiple priorities and competing responsibilities, it's not impossible. Here's how.

It just so happens that there's a career that focuses specifically on juggling competing tasks and priorities: These people are called project managers. And as luck would have it, I was a full time PM for many years, PMP-certified and everything. In that time, I learned a number of helpful tricks that can help you manage your workload at the office as well as your ever-growing list of to-dos at home, with your family, or with your friends. Here's how you can apply some of those techniques to your everyday life.

Keep Two To-Do Lists, One Electronic and One Paper, To Help Prioritize Daily Lists

http://lifehacker.com/5943264/keep-two-to+do-lists-one-electronic-and-one-paper-to-help-prioritize-daily-lists

When you're incredibly busy it's easy to get lost in a massive to-do list. When you're overwhelmed and struggling to see the big picture, productivity blog Day-Time suggests that it's best to keep two lists: one massive catch-all electronic list, and another daily list on paper.

Using Outlook as an example, Day-Timer's suggestion isn't anything new, but it's a helpful reminder for the days when getting everything done seems impossible:

Keep two lists: Outlook stores your master task list; your daily to-do list goes on paper. Always enter a task onto a master task list first.

Label your tasks: It's important that every task on your master task list has a category and due date, two keys for determining priorities.

Make your daily list: Check your Outlook Master Task List and choose 3-5 tasks you absolutely MUST get done today. Then choose another 3-5 you'd LIKE to get done.

Prioritize: Order the tasks by importance, taking into account deadlines and amount of impact on the categories in your life like work, home, family, or specific projects.

Write it down: Put your daily list on paper, making sure you set clear-cut descriptions that will motivate you to get tasks done.

It's a pretty simple process and when you're done you'll have a clear idea of what you need to do today, and have a better view of the big picture plans.

Never tried GTD but we're using Latitude business management software in our office. Good for client-project management, tasks monitoring, costing, estimation and reports. We do time tracking for jobs/tasks in it too.