Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheDude

Easy Money (or Am I Missing the Obvious)

So, there I am looking round the markets for opportunity/ideas on Friday as ES dried up.....

Natural Gas:

The Globex spread market is consistently tighter than the spread implied (in) from the outrights. I would have thought the implied in-out mechanism would have made both so tight that opportunity wouldnt be so great.

In other words, the June-Sep spread can be purchased at a better price if bought as the June-Sep spread, where as the same spread traded as 2 legs (ie buy the June contract, then sell the Sep contract separately) in the outright market is considerably wider.

I cant believe this is the easiest arb on the earth, as I know there are people out there with faster computers and brains than I!!!

I was watching the scenario pretty much all day and it was constant.

Anyone know why this state exists?

I cant believe this is the easiest arb on the earth, as I know there are people out there with faster computers and brains than I!!!

I was watching the scenario pretty much all day and it was constant.

Anyone know why this state exists?

I can't help you with an explanation, I'm afraid. What I do know is that if this is the easiest arb on earth, you've just shared it with several thousand other traders . . .

Thanks!

Bluehorseshoe.

I can't help you with an explanation, I'm afraid. What I do know is that if this is the easiest arb on earth, you've just shared it with several thousand other traders . . .

Thanks!

Bluehorseshoe.

Exactly! But I do know the largest energy traders on the earth (vitoil, totsa, bp, etc) have rooms full of guys doing this exact type of trade day in day out - and we havent even mentioned hedge funds and prop firms like getco, citadel etc so how come this trade still exists???

Look at the attachment.

Pay attention to the outrights June and August, then look at the spread market of NGM2-NGQ2 and see where you can make easy money!

Untitled.thumb.png.8f4e5d9bad31b8383fa567fcf3cb86d9.png