Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheRabbi

Journal - London & NY Open

Ive been registered here for a while and havent contributed so I figurred journalling my live trades would be a good place to start .

Ive been sim trading forex for 9 months and have been able to keep it green for the last 2 months , ending around 12/20/11 to take a break . Im trading my live account as of 1/3/12 .

My experiences shape my convictions about trading and what works for me is just that - what works for me . What Ive learned is that KEEPING what you earn in trading is the difficult part and much more difficult than putting on a trade and having it go in your favor . Controlling what I give back either to the market , my broker , my software provider etc. is where the money is at , again , this is whats working for me so far .

A few of the things I grasped early are .....

1. It takes an exponentially larger gain to offset a loser .

2. Trade when the most traders are offering me their money .

3. Profits only exist when you close the position .

4. Prices dont move in one direction forever .

... Among others .

My method presently is to trade in the direction of strength on the USD based pairs that have the highest daily ATR and only from the london open --> asian close(ish) and NY open till about 1030(ish) . Im watching only a 5 minute chart and plotting what I determine to be swing highs and lows . Price closing beyond those levels indicates strength to me and I enter after retracements seeking larger gains than what Im risking . As long as my average gains are larger than my average losers then Im not overly picky about stop amount > 2% of capital but I wont take an entry if the bar Im refferencing to enter is wide ranging or exhaustive . And so on .

Right now its friday > lunch and Ill post some charts when I settle in before mondays open . Hope I can contribute a little with what Im doing and have a good weekend all .

Welcome, look forward to reading more about your trading.

Thanks . Mondays a bank holiday in US but I'll see what prices do and take it from there . Heres how I saw fridays action . The arrows only point to where price closed beyond the swing levels. The zigzag is set to 3 bars and the wave % is set to zero since Im not interested in wave lengths at this point , only price breaking beyond recent boundaries of price . Since GBPUSD & EURUSD's daily range is around 120 pips recently Im only trading them . USDCAD and USDCHF have an ATR of around 90ish but I keep an eye on them for perspective . If the USD is bearish on one and bullish on the others then I tend to keep my ears up and do whats right so as not to trade against the grain . I prefer to pass a couple trades if things are not looking right . Ill also pass a few if theres major news events very soon or multiple major news events spread throughout the session causing widespread waiting or whipsawing .

snapshot-624.thumb.png.c7c751cbe69e6b7bc44f4c235fcd3482.png

snapshot-625.thumb.png.18d3445708a0149321a695542f11b884.png

No trades today 1/18 wednesday . Have some work being done at home that needed me to move my PC gear and everything else for a few days so Im focussing on getting the work done and out of the way .