Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

JnrTrader

Learning to Trade

Hey guys

I am a student at the University of Pretoria and have been looking for a curriculum on how to trade and I have stumbled amongst this curriculum but I don’t know if it is worth it. Please could you give me some feedback and advice as to whether it’s worth it?

Keep in mind that I live in South Africa so any curriculum needs to be relevant to my understanding.

Personally, I would not pay for this trading course. Take the money that you would have spent for the course, and open a trading account. Then do some practice trading. There is all kinds of free information out there that you can explore. The problem isn't finding free information. The problem is figuring out what is worth anything, and what isn't, or what suits you and what doesn't. But every trader goes through that process. You just don't want to use up all your money on education, and still not have any trading experience.

Do you want to trade for a living?

Do you want to trade for your investment account?

Do you have the time to trade when the market is open?

Are you going to trade part time or full time?

What do you want to trade and why?

Have you read any trading books?

Do you know the basics of support and resistance?

Do you know what good news sources are, and how news affects the market?

Firstly this course says that they teach you to trade the JSE ONLY

then I tracked this guy - Goitse Konopi - LinkedIn - he says that his experience is in the "Education Management Industry"

He gives his qualifications as:

University of Pretoria/Universiteit van Pretoria

BAdmin , International Relations , 2010 — 2013 (expected)

Although they could have written their recommendations themselves this is what they suggest that they do:

"I can read the market better and I have a greater understanding of fundamental analysis"

Your total will be >R6000.00. Buy a book at the CNA for R150.00 on fundamental analysis - if you understand what trading that way will mean - i.e. as apposed to Technical analysis.

The couse (their spelling not mine) takes 18months. At the end of it this is what you get:

Will this course qualify me to be a stock broker?

No, the JSE has separate requirements for this.

What recognition will I receive?

We will issue you with a certificate when you complete your course. (Basically none).

This is what you actually need to do in SA:

Obtain your license. Under South African laws, you need to hold a license in order to represent a client. To obtain your stock broker license, you must first pass a regulatory exam called the Registered Persons Exam (RPE), which is provided by the South African Institute of Financial Markets (SAIFM). The RPE, which consists of five levels, requires an 80 percent pass rate, and you need to sit and pass the first three levels before you can work as a stock broker on the South African stock market.

Find a vacancy with a South African employer who can offer you some training in stock brokerage. Although the JSE offers online stock exchange courses for budding stock brokers, you may be able to secure employment with a company that is willing to train you from scratch. Career Jet, a South African job search engine, may prove useful in helping you find a suitable employer in South Africa.

Read more: How to Become a Stock Broker in South Africa | eHow.com How to Become a Stock Broker in South Africa | eHow.com

I agree with Tradewinds - spend your money VERY carefully. Go to a recognized teaching facility. Get apprenticed with a reputable company who trades on the JSE and learn from hands-on experience. Best wishes and Groete.

trainingtraders.com These guys teach institutional traders. But do you plan on trading on your own or do you want to trade for a fund of sorts?

I would not take a course that only teaches you the JSE. You need to learn something that applies to most or all markets. I think its a bit narrow minded to just teach one market (to make money all you need is one but to imply that its so difficult to trade one market that you need all that training is not correct).

I am also in south africa and there are plenty of other courses around. There is tradingpoint.co.za also many courses on the net which are good, that teach you how to trade which applies to all markets.