Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

maxr

MT4 Demo Accounts That Don't Expire?

Can anyone suggest MT4 demo accounts that don't expire? I'm looking to update my Forex Smart Tools trade calculator with market prices in MT4 format. I don't mind opening a small real account (eg a nano account) with a few dollars if that's the only option.

Thanks, Max

Can anyone suggest MT4 demo accounts that don't expire? I'm looking to update my Forex Smart Tools trade calculator with market prices in MT4 format. I don't mind opening a small real account (eg a nano account) with a few dollars if that's the only option.

Thanks, Max

Hi Max

There are a couple of ways around this problem.

If you are happy with your current MT4 platform, you could try always keeping a trade open. This can be done with minimal impact on your balances, by opening a long AND a short position on GOLD simultaneously. Wait for a time when the price of gold is not ticking up or down frequently, so as to be long and short at about the exact same quote.

You will have swap accumulating, but the nett change in the price of gold will always be zero, so your trade balances will not be affected by movement in Gold.

The other thing you could do, is go to:

MetaTrader 4 Trading Platform / MetaQuotes Software Corp.

and download their MT4 platform from the home site. It is generic, which means it is not tied to any specific broker. I do not know if it expires or not - I don't think so, but it might. Email them.

The downside is that they may not provide the range of instruments available from Commercial brokers using MT4.

I use a few platforms, because of various templates and profiles I have previously used, and am loathe to dump them.

https://www.fxpro.com/ is one that I'm certain does not expire - can't remember having to open a new account or password with them.

I just checked - my current FxPro demo a/c has been unchanged since 15th July 2010 ... so that one does not expire.

FXCM expires after 60 days - I just got that from FXCM support.

Did you realise that after your platform expires, you can simply go to the top toolbar, and go to:

< FILE

<OPEN AN ACCOUNT

and enter the details, or check the current ones are already recorded correctly.

The platform will automatically re-install, using a new PW and Platform number.

All charts and templates/experts will be restored.

This way you do not lose any of your custom indicators/expert advisors/templates. They are automatically retained and reloaded - the only thing that changes is the Platform number and your log-in password. If you forget them don't worry - the latest platform number and password is recorded in the "Mailbox" seen on the bottom toolbar when you have the "Terminal" window open (also found on the top toolbar).

Probably preaching to the choir here - so ignore this stuff if you already understand it.

Thanks Ingot54, that's great. I have an FXCM Malta demo, but (at least here in UK) the datafeed seems pretty slow. I need the MT4 feed to provide data for the Forex Smart Tools program called Forex Calculator - it works out a 'partial pips' trade size based on current price, maximum loss %., required stop loss and spread.

Also, The Oracle Trader news trading system (which I'm exploring for light entertainment - I might get 1-3 trades a week from it, some or all of which will be 'no-trades') uses MT4 EA's to enter and control news trades. The problem with this system (and they make no bones about it) is that many of the brokers who use MT4 are liquidity providers who make all their money from the spread and don't want news traders taking money out of their pocket by trading so fast they can't cover it (an Oracle trade can be over in half a second - so fast you can't watch it). I'm told I can use Ninja Trader to interface an IB ECN style accouint with the MT4 order system (whew...) - or maybe I can find a direct access futures broker who uses MT4, and use Oracle to trade CME futures with it.

Max

I remember i had to do this research by myself, as the absolute majority of brokers give you 30 days limit only. It was so annoying - I opened a demo account and sales people started call me almost once a day, as soon as i said i wasn't going to open a live account right away

they closed my demo.

I can recommend you NordFX. They have unlimited demo account if you log in at least once in 30 days. they will not disturb you

Thanks for that, Cosa Nostra, I'll make a note of it.

When I downloaded MT4 from the developer's site, it identified I'm in UK and suggested I use a demo feed from Alpari. This feed is good, it feels like a totally different platform from the last MT4 demo I had. Now, can anyone suggest an MT4 script or whatever that will let me set up one manual OCO order with a market or limit entry, a stop, and two or three take profit limit levels?

Max

Thanks, Max

Here is a list of 20+ brokers that have non-expiring MT4 demo accounts....

www . forexchurch . com/brokers-with-non-expiring-demo-accounts.cfm

* Remove the spaces in the link to make it work !