Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheDude

What Are the Hot Markets for 2011?

I don't know about you folks, but at this time of year, I like to review my trading objectives for the year ahead and decide where to focus my longer term trades.

I'm looking for markets to get into for the long term. These could be stocks, ETF's, FX pairs, commodities, you name it!

Looking at the global/macro landscape for ideas, I see the gold train has left the station (still good for swing trades?), Energy a possibility, possibly short bonds. I'm going to take a look at ETF's around BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, maybe China), but am looking for more ideas.

But enough of my thoughts.

Where do you see the big opportunities for 2011 and ahead?

I don't know about you folks, but at this time of year, I like to review my trading objectives for the year ahead and decide where to focus my longer term trades.

I'm looking for markets to get into for the long term. These could be stocks, ETF's, FX pairs, commodities, you name it!

Looking at the global/macro landscape for ideas, I see the gold train has left the station (still good for swing trades?), Energy a possibility, possibly short bonds. I'm going to take a look at ETF's around BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, maybe China), but am looking for more ideas.

One word. Silver. The silver market is hot, check out this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPvVjfNYgs]YouTube - A Silver Shortage?[/ame]

Thanks, you may have something there. I think gold is done. Looking at a monthly chart, there is little left. Silver looks like it has room to catch up though. I'll keep my eye on this....

The spread between gold and silver should show the way in terms of timing.

Thanks, you may have something there. I think gold is done. Looking at a monthly chart, there is little left. Silver looks like it has room to catch up though. I'll keep my eye on this....

The dude abides. Yes, I concur.

Silver and gold both appear to be in counter-trend rotations to the downside, I am looking closely for a long entry in silver soon.

I think a lot depends on if you are just intending to look for trends to the upside or if you're also ok taking trades to the short side. The silver futures market has been an extremely profitable day trade both up and down but for the bigger, longer term trades it would require quite a large trade account to put on trades with responsible risk levels. I've been swing trading the silver market trading options with the SLV iShares Silver Trust to solve that problem. It's been great because the options are low priced and make it easy to fine tune my position size based each trade's profile as it relates to my risk mgt rules.

For me, it doesn't make sense to try to predict if a market's uptrend has lost its legs or not. I may be right or I may be wrong but for me, I need to have trades that fit within the context of a proven strategy and that gives me an edge over lots of trades. I just find I can remain more objective and not rely on trying to be 'right' or 'wrong.' It just keeps things simple for me.

Longer term, I've decided to trade off of some weekly charts that I have identified through backtesting and have proven to produce good steady results over the past 10 years. It's a great way to trade with a tax free retirement account, for example. Believe it or not, the EURUSD has been an amazing longer term trade on the weekly chart and with forex, as I'm sure everyone reading this already knows, you can easily control your position size and risk profile. Of course, much has to do with the trade strategy, or in my case, trade system that you would plan on using. The EURUSD might suck with a different approach than what I'm using but with my trade strategy, it's a real champion.

But to answer the question that began this thread, and forgive me if this is even a bit beyond what you were asking, but I believe the opportunities will come from mixing it up and diversifying across markets and timeframes. As I rethink my approach for 2011, I'm looking to balance my trading between some daytrades, swingtrades and longer term positions trades.

Daytrade-wise, it only makes sense for me to trade a couple of good moving markets and stay with a very tight and concise tradeplan. I am having a lot of consistent success with the Russell eMIni and Crude Oil Futures, both usually finishing within the first 30 to 90 minutes. I'm trading a 377 tick chart with both. It ain't broke so I'm just going to keep doing what's been working so well for such a long time. Then my day is free to enjoy and pursue other things. I'm on the West Coast so believe me, my day is really my own. Getting up early has its drawbacks but it also has its advantages. :)

Swingtrade-wise, I am looking to add to my preferred basket of good swinging stocks/ETFS and will continue to trade options based on my system's underlying stock setups. I'm going thru my process of putting together my varsity team of stock and ETF names for 2011. I'm primarily trading 195 minute charts, 130 minute charts and some end of day charts. I'll add a few good swinging forex markets to that mix too. So far, The GBPUSD, EURCAD and USDCHF are all on my short list of end of day charts that have been performing great with my trade system so those are my 'new' forex swing trades to focus on for 2011. I'll probably add one or two more and my next level goal for 2011 is to use the same strategy to swing trade a handful of good swinging futures markets, also with options. I'll put on longer term trailing positions when appropriate as per my tradeplan.

Longterm positiontrade-wise, I'll focus on the weekly EURUSD, and will take the same approach as my swing trading. I'll find a few more good pairs that have performed well over the past 10 years with my trade system and I'll add to that some long term stock plays to either trade leaps or the actual stock itself. Forgive me if I didn't provide you with long term markets to get into and hold for some sort of long winded trend upwards. I'm sure they're out there and some will guess them right but I suspect most will be on the wrong side of those trades. I'll be looking to go long or short depending on the current trade that forms at the right edge of my chart.

Sorry! What started out with the intention of a quick response ended up being a long post. Lol.. But it was therapeutic and actually helped me rethink thru my goals for 2011 so thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully by sharing my own thought process I'll spark the creative process in others to also think about manageable ways to diversify their trading for 2011.

Edited by tjnoon

I trade /cl exclusively as day trade full time. have been trading cl for 6 months now and I am hooked to it. Trade OR and Mark Fisher ACD system. Just started using ACD system and I can not believe that over 3 years after reading 100's of books , I did not came to know about mark fisher book and his system till 2 months ago. mark fisher is one of the biggest cl trader.

Will like to talk about your experience trading cl.

I trade /cl exclusively as day trade full time. have been trading cl for 6 months now and I am hooked to it. Trade OR and Mark Fisher ACD system. Just started using ACD system and I can not believe that over 3 years after reading 100's of books , I did not came to know about mark fisher book and his system till 2 months ago. mark fisher is one of the biggest cl trader.

Will like to talk about your experience trading cl.

You should try price action trading. I learned from Nial Fuller, he has some really great free information you can learn from if you don't know where to begin.

"The European crisis is how we got to that June [gold] record. That brought with it a beginning to spread distrust of paper currencies. Gold tried to correct after the European crisis was averted, but then the Fed started leaking hints at QE2 and people said, ‘let’s sell everything we can out of the dollar,’" said Jon Nadler, senior analyst for Kitco Metals.

thank you,

Instead of gold or silver, which will be dependent on the U.S. dollar, Phil Streibel. senior analyst at Lind W'aldock, suggests investors look to China to determine the standout metals for 201 1. "Chinese demand for copper is up as well as Chinese auto sales, which will affect the platinum and palladium markets," he says.

Thank you

Edited by TheNegotiator

Hi everybody! Thanks for the information you have given! I would like to know if what could be the best and effective way in the market that could give many contribution to all? Some markets could be new and hot, but some are not reliable or proficient. Of course, every trader would like to know of what could be entrusted. Thanks =D

Hi everybody! Thanks for the information you have given! I would like to know if what could be the best and effective way in the market that could give many contribution to all? Some markets could be new and hot, but some are not reliable or proficient. Of course, every trader would like to know of what could be entrusted. Thanks =D

HI, not sure what you are asking here. Can you rephrase the question? If you are asking the "best" way to trade the markets, then I would have to suggest price action trading, it has really helped me and it's all I trade with now.