Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Reaver

Differences between open outcry and electronic contracts?

I was wondering,

say for instance, you were looking at 30 yr Tbond electronic vs 30yr Tbond open outcry, as far as getting wuotes, price data, etc, are they the same? is it simply the method of execution that is different?

I was asking because for instance, esignal provides the ZB (electronic 30 yr Tbond), but not anything for the Open Outcry Tbond.

Just wondering mainly if I'd be okay using this data for monitoring or not.

Thanks!

I've got no clue how the bond market works, but when you're looking at quotes for the SPX, you're only seeing pit quotes. Your electronic orders get routed to a market maker most with most brokerage houses and then he works his magic on the floor.

Okay I was just wondering how it worked, since I see quotes and data available for either one, and was wondering if the information was different...

ie using open outcry quotes for electronic trading, etc...

Thanks Tin

open outcry is pit traded

When ever the prices diverge beween pit and electronic, arbitrage traders will take care of that, they buy on one platform and sell it on the other. Its a game we cannot play because you need to be in the pit and have access to the electronic traded contract as well.

Since they rarely if ever stay diverged, just watch the contract you are trading withou getting too complicated.

Its like what I did in my earlier days, I would watch the SP (pit traded) and trade the ES. Did not work to well I would say. (this was when the ES was a fairly new product)

Guest cooter

I was asking because for instance, esignal provides the ZB (electronic 30 yr Tbond), but not anything for the Open Outcry Tbond.

I could swear that e-Signal has QUS for composite Tbond, US for floor and ZB for electronic trading.

Best use for pit trading the 30year is as a safety hedge when the electronic ZB at e-CBOT goes down - as it does from time to time.