Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

abam

Stop Order or Logical Order ?

hi, guys,

I've got a question regarding stop orders:

For example, my balance is $20K so my buying power is 40K. What happens if I enter 2 stop orders - one to buy GOOG for the whole amount of 40K and another one is to buy AAPL aslo for the whole amount of 40K. On the next the first order (GOOG) gets executed and I buy GOOG shares for 40K. And at the same day the price of AAPL also hits my second stop order, but at this moment I won't have 40K available as I've already bought GOOG for 40K.

Will the second order just be canceled?

Or is there any way to enter 2 orders so that as soon as one of them is filled for 40K the other one is canceled automatically?

I've written an email with the same question to just2trade.com and they told me the following:

Our system will not allow you to place to open buy orders if the combined amounts of the orders exceed your actual buying power. In other words, the platform will subtract from your balances the value of the first buy order and will only allow you enter another buy order for whatever buying power you have left.

So are there any brokers which will let me do the following?

Thanks all in advance.

Regarding the buying power, I don't know of any broker which would allow your open orders to exceed your buying power. Regarding the stop orders though, what you would want is a "one cancels other" ("OCO") order. Ask your broker if they support this kind of order.

Me neither, I seem to remember when I traded equities that the platform I used (cybertrader) used to handle baskets of stocks and other sophisticated things. I never used that stuff or investigated how buying power was calculated.