Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

wjrusnak

New Futures Trader. TradeStation?

Hey all,

Another new person to the futures market. Anyways I have been trading equities with TradeStation and I was thinking about opening a futures account with them. I read over a lot of futures tutorials and other info; I just need to review some of the basics:

Is Tradestation a good choice as far as commissions and platform?

What is meant by price per side and price per contract? I know in equities a contract is generally 100 shares of a stock. How is this in futures?

Can you daytrade futures? Are the daytrading rules for futures the same as equities (i.e. $25,000 acct. minimum)?

What are the general hours of trading for futures? (i.e. I notice crude oil is changing as long as a market is open anywhere in the world)

Any info will be appreciated.

- Bill

Bill,

If you are thinking of changing instruments it may be time to re-evaluate brokers. Have a search round the forums there is a thread about TS, some people have problems with them now and again. There are also a handful of brokers that get mentioned fairly often that have a good rep. having said all that, if you are familiar and comfortable with TS then why introduce another new factor into your trading.

OP, I really like TS for data and charting, but not for trading futures, so I pay the $100/month or whatever it is for TS and then use a dedicated futures broker with a professional feed such as NinjaTrader with Zenfire and TradingTechnologies.

Good luck and be careful out there.

Alright, so I did some more research. Thanks for the link, brownsfan. The videos helped a lot. So my plan of attack is to keep Tradestation for equities, thus having it for charting futures. Now, Zoso, you recommend a dedicated futures broker. I came across some names via the Ninjatrader site and the TradingTech site: Alaron, Penson, and so many more. With that in mind, who would you propose is my best bet?

Haven't tried them all so I don't know the best.

I have accounts with Mirus for NT/Zen and AMP for NT/TT and am happy with both, albeit Mirus is more expensive because of Zen and I, for one, don't see any added value. If you held a gun to my head and made me pick one, it would be AMP with NT/TT.