Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

james_gsx

I Test Drove a New BMW

I finished all my options trading and a few futures trades this morning so I decided to head into Denver to run a few errands. While I was down there I was near the big BMW dealership and decided to stop by. I had never drove a BMW before, so this was a good experience.

After looking at several cars for about an hour I asked to drive the 128i Convertible simply because I had never drove a convertible. It was okay, nothing to write home about unless maybe I was a girl or not into driving as much as I am. But I wasn't getting out of the car wanting to dump my Mercedes.

The second car I drove was a blue metallic 335xi coupe. It has the twin turbocharged I6, awd, and 300hp. That car was FAST and had a ton of grip. I basically drove like a dick and explored the limits of grip on the car. I was sold immediately. Normally I would go with RWD, but since I live in Colorado the AWD is ideal for our snowy winters. I also go up to the mountains a lot, and sometimes that AWD can save you.

What I really liked was the free maintenance. Especially since I just paid $635 last week for my service, $60 for the stupid wipers :doh: They also have a cool loyalty program for those who lease and get a new car every three years, which is what I would opt for since I seem to have ADD with cars. I'm barely 20 and I'm on my third car, I would have more if I wasn't into expensive ones.

I didn't get the car today because I want to get a little more established with my trading. My options business is starting to become very profitable, but the futures isn't quite yet. I want to get more experience under my belt and I want to trade full time for a few more months before I reward myself. I live cheap except for my cars, so I can afford things like this.

I am also waiting later this year for the diesels. Rumor has it they are averaging over 40mpg with plenty of power and torque, and that makes a huge difference. The price of diesel is more, but if that gets me an extra 10 round trips to work then I'm all for it.

So if any of you traders have some extra cash laying around, I urge you to go drive one :o

Hi James - this is basically a bump because your post cracked me up so much!

the 128i Convertible was okay, nothing to write home about unless maybe I was a girl ...
:rofl:

The second car I drove was a blue metallic 335xi coupe... That car was FAST and had a ton of grip. I basically drove like a dick
:rofl:

the diesel 330xd is great, even torquier (if thats the right word), but less end speed (diesel) but I guess you care less over there...

personally for me, thats a car to shoot for. lovely design, high quality & by all means quick enough for a SUV. look out for heico to further tune this baby, they always do a decent job...

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Volvo_News/article_1209.html

cheers,

cosmic

Walter - I wish I got to try the M6. But I don't think they would let a 20 year old behind the wheel of a $90,000 sports car :)

Cosmic - I love the BMW diesels and I wish we had them here. I am waiting for one to come out here so I can test drive one. I think the drive will be awesome along with the torque. The only issue I have is I heard rumors they will only bring an automatic.

Walter - I wish I got to try the M6. But I don't think they would let a 20 year old behind the wheel of a $90,000 sports car :)

Try $150K! :)

I saw one a few weeks ago at the BMW dealer here in Indy, the parents let their 17 year old drive it, he popped that badboy into a concrete median, wrecked both drivers side rims and broke the back axle. UNBELIVABLY he did NO Body damage to it.

They are a badass ride though. Put in drive, brake to the floor- goose the throttle and the tires will spin with a feathers touch.. YEOW!

Well I have a lot of loyal dedication to Mercedes. They have great customer service, and that means a lot to me coming from where I work. I bought my car almost a year ago, and the salesmen still knows me on a first name basis - along with most of the people in the dealership.

Maybe I'll have enough money to buy a new BMW and Merc :)

You only live once, why not make the most of it.

I have a friend with a Mercedes. Isn't the cost for dealership maintenance insane?

It really depends I guess. I've really only had to pay a few times that my car was in. I've even had them carry the cost of a $535 maintenance fee. But for the most part it seems everything goes in $500 intervals :o