Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Szymon

Software or Datafeed Recommendation? For Scanning Stocks

Hello Everyone,

I am basically looking for a datafeed or website live charting service that allows me to scan all the stocks and futures for particular conditions with price and indicators, once it scans all the instruments i get a list of all those that match the conditions.

I am currently using IB with Investor RT but are limited to 100 symbols only.

Anyhelp will be much appreciated.

Simon

Simon,

I'll give you a few tips on what you can do with I/RT as far as managing your symbol count.

While IB might limit you to watching 100 symbols per day, I/RT has no such limit....it will allow you to monitor and scan whatever your datafeed (and/or your processor) will allow. DTN IQFeed allows you to monitor 1300 symbols realtime I believe. eSignal has 500 and 1000 symbol limits as I recall. So you can expand list of realtime scanned stocks by changing datafeeds, although I understand that might not be a decision you're willing to consider.

Another option is monitoring 1,000s of symbols on an end-of-day basis, and then trimming that large universe down to a manageable number for realtime scanning. With I/RT's built in Yahoo! screener, and the ability to download historical data, current quotes, and fundamental data from Yahoo!, you can quickly build a large universe of stocks with daily and fundamental data. You can run a daily scan on some criteria to trim it down to 100 or less...mark those symbols for intraday....and then do your realtime scans during the session on that group. You can also use the Yahoo! "current quote" option to grab the current price quickly throughout the day on the larger universe of stocks if that would be of any use to you.

Just a couple suggestions. And you have find more info on the Yahoo! functionality in I/RT at http://www.linnsoft.com/yahoo/. This is built into every version regardless of your data feed.

Simon,

I'll give you a few tips on what you can do with I/RT as far as managing your symbol count.

While IB might limit you to watching 100 symbols per day, I/RT has no such limit....it will allow you to monitor and scan whatever your datafeed (and/or your processor) will allow. DTN IQFeed allows you to monitor 1300 symbols realtime I believe. eSignal has 500 and 1000 symbol limits as I recall. So you can expand list of realtime scanned stocks by changing datafeeds, although I understand that might not be a decision you're willing to consider.

Another option is monitoring 1,000s of symbols on an end-of-day basis, and then trimming that large universe down to a manageable number for realtime scanning. With I/RT's built in Yahoo! screener, and the ability to download historical data, current quotes, and fundamental data from Yahoo!, you can quickly build a large universe of stocks with daily and fundamental data. You can run a daily scan on some criteria to trim it down to 100 or less...mark those symbols for intraday....and then do your realtime scans during the session on that group. You can also use the Yahoo! "current quote" option to grab the current price quickly throughout the day on the larger universe of stocks if that would be of any use to you.

Just a couple suggestions. And you have find more info on the Yahoo! functionality in I/RT at http://www.linnsoft.com/yahoo/. This is built into every version regardless of your data feed.

Hi Chad,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I might have to switch realtime datafeeds providers.

Regards

Simon

Hello Everyone,

I am basically looking for a datafeed or website live charting service that allows me to scan all the stocks and futures for particular conditions with price and indicators, once it scans all the instruments i get a list of all those that match the conditions.

I am currently using IB with Investor RT but are limited to 100 symbols only.

Anyhelp will be much appreciated.

Simon

Hi Szymon - I have started using http://www.prorealtime.com/en/ for EOD scanning. It's free for EOD data and you can program your own scanning codes if you're so inclined. You only pay if you'd like to get real time data.

Regards,

Gavin.

hi...

Is there anyone to explain about the PASSIVE SCANNING

When MS passively scans the area I guess it "listenes" for the AP's beacon

frames.

1. Does NIC in the MS switch channels it "listens" beacon frames on?

2. How often does it switch a channel?

3. If it switches a channel, it can't recieve data when it listenes another

channel, so what impact does this passive channel scanning have on data

transfer rate?