Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

traderjim

tick chart indicators

Hello All,

I am new here and this is my first post. I am a relative newbie to trading, so please bear with me. I just had a question about tick charts and indicators. First, how many ticks do you usually set for each bar? Or does it vary depending on the pace, market, etc? Also, are there any good indicators that one can use on tick charts? I've been trying to figure out the best way to adjust the properties of indicators in ninjatrader to make this work, but I don't think I've succeeded at this point.

I like tick charts because they incorporate volume into the data and they just seem like a more intuitive way to see what the market is doing, so I'd really like to figure out a way to trade with them. Thanks.

Hey trader Jim

Ive been using tick charts for a while now and i luve them. I use the 144t mainly for my enties. I also love the 43 ema for showing trend. The only real indicator i use is a stocastic d 6 4 2 helps smooth out price. (well i do like to look at a few)As far as other ticks its pretty common to see 55t 89t 144t 233t. Most people try to stick with fibb numbers

cheers

zentrader

zentrader,

thank you for sharing. one question, do you trade mainly off of tick charts or do you just use them to find entry/exit points?

ta trader,

yes, i meant the number of trades as opposed to volume.

Hey trader Jim

Ive been using tick charts for a while now and i luve them. I use the 144t mainly for my enties. I also love the 43 ema for showing trend. The only real indicator i use is a stocastic d 6 4 2 helps smooth out price. (well i do like to look at a few)As far as other ticks its pretty common to see 55t 89t 144t 233t. Most people try to stick with fibb numbers

cheers

zentrader

Same here, 144 for NQ, and YM :) Let me see if I know how to post a chart.

Schaefer

5aa70e324261a_NQ011108144tTA.thumb.gif.6dd13c8d31db1941c5bbff7e914bfd15.gif

hey jim,

heres what i do. I have basically 3 charts up. a 5 min 1 min and 144t. I use the 5 min to give me more of the big picture of whats the day doing. I then basically make all my trading decisions off the 144t chart. I like the way it displays price and i get a better feel for what the market is doing. I run a stocastic over price to help smooth it out for my entry. The one min chart i just mainly use to look at volume(used to trade with minute charts so just have to have one up). I definitly like tick based charts better for reading the market flow. I can see the ups and downs better if that makes any sense.

I also would run a 233 and a 377t. I compare the 144t to more of a 1 min the 233 to like a 3 min and the 377 to the 5 min. Really depends on what time frame u like to trade on. Those 3 i would say are the main tick charts but people do use all kinds(at least from traders i have talked too).

happy trading jim hope i could help any more questions feel free to drop them.

Schaefer,

Thanks for posting the chart. Not sure about everything that's going on in there, but I do see that each bar is 144 ticks.

zentrader,

again, thanks for sharing. I do know what you mean about seeing the ups and downs better with tick charts - this is why I like using them as well. i'll probably try some backtesting on the ym using 233t and 377t charts.

happy trading.