Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TinGull

Swing Trade Discussion Group

Hey all,

I must admit, I hate not having anyone to talk to about what I do all day long besides type it out on the computer in this forum. I love this forum for that, but I would LOVE to have a discussion group going through like skype or some other VOiP deal where there's serious interaction. I used to attend a group back in Indiana where people would be responsible for bringing 2-3 stocks to each weekly discussion that they're currently stalking for entry or are already in.

I have no idea if anyone would be remotely interested in something like this, but I most certainly am. I would love to find out how people trade the markets.

If there's any interest at all in that sort of thing, please let me know.

Thanks all!

It definitely sounds intriguing....for now I am focusing on swinging futs.....but stocks may not be a bad idea either....I am open minded brutha.

Let's hear more about it man.

Swing trading anything, really. I just want to have some sort of discussion group outside of just typing. Like...really hear peoples voices since typing can take a while to get an idea out. Im not sure how it could be implemented so we could have charts and stuff....but definitely something I think would be awesome.

I agree there...you're right, it is a pain typing out complex ideas, etc...

That's a good idea....now...what would be a resolution to the problem?

First guess would be some sort of hotcomm chat room, etc..but I don't think it would be that good if it's only live, as I for one am predisposed by my job for the time being....

But more importantly, to be able to save and reference the ideas at a later time would be crucial....always good to be able to save things for later review in case you miss something first time around.

Hmmm...Not sure. You seem to be more tech oriented than me..are you familiar with anything that would be viable?

well, what I was thinking was doing something like Sunday evenings or late afternoons. Something when the market isn't in action.

As for how to do it...hotcomm is an idea, though it costs money and is only PC. ;) As for something else that can do the trick...I'm not too sure. Hotcomm is definitely an option for that sort of thing. I'll check it out.

Tin,

First good idea.

Second, don't be surprised if this catches on at first and dies slowly.

In my experience these types of things can catch on early and then die a slow and painful death. You'll have to grab it by the horns and run it smoothly. You'll have to make people responsible for actually doing what the group is asking each week. I was running a stock discussion group a few years ago and at first, it was great - many members, everyone contributing. It soon became obvious who was doing the work - me and a couple others - and I shortly thereafter bailed on it. Why should I do all the work if no one else is going to contribute, right?

Ok with that being said, I would be game for this to see how it goes. If there's some good interaction and value for everyone, that works for me.

Ideas of software to use depending on what exactly you want in terms of features:

FREE OR LESS EXPENSIVE SERVICES:

PalTalk

AIM Pro

Yahoo Messenger

MORE COSTLY:

Omnovia

Hotcomm

SUGGESTIONS:

And if you get this going, I would strongly suggest you start a discussion group area here or on yahoo so that members can discuss trades as they are occurring during the week. The weekly call would be more of a here's what happened last week and here's what I am looking at playing this week.

I've seen one of these groups that was very successful and it had one trait that I just could not get from ours - accountability. You, as the leader, must hold people accountable or those that do work will feel slighted and those that are just tagging along are not needed.

While not an easy task, if there's enough people really committed to it, it will work beautifully. If there's a bunch of tire kickers, it can get frustrating very quickly.

Good post Brownsfan.

I agree, it is going to come down to accountability. I would want to work it out as to what is expected of each member, etc...I am mostly focusing on futures for now, and would like to get involved with stocks on a more active basis just not at this exact moment....so I wouldn't want to be responsible for tracking stocks, as it's not my forte' if that makes sense...

I like your idea for the weekly review/preview as well....

I think with a little work, something like this could really take off...at least for us. I think it could greatly improve trading for those who participate.

Would love to participate, but the day job keeps me busy and with kids at home all my time is sucked up. Maybe each members can produce a 3-5 minute video each week expressing their trading thoughts. Easier to explain complex ideas without the need to commit to a certain time each week.

Rajiv

Would love to participate, but the day job keeps me busy and with kids at home all my time is sucked up. Maybe each members can produce a 3-5 minute video each week expressing their trading thoughts. Easier to explain complex ideas without the need to commit to a certain time each week.

Rajiv

I think that's what the forum is for Raj. You can do that now, whenever you want.

:)

I like the idea. I have been on a few Paltalk rooms that have voice chat as well so I am into that , and it's free. Is this the kind of thing in whcih you want everyone to be able to be on a VOIP and communicate in all directions or just have one or two moderator speakers?

Yeah Paltalk works fine.....not sure if you can 'push' charts that might be a nice feature. Paltalk would get my vote.

I'm in kinda two minds about chat rooms....they can be distracting, having said that if you want get distracted the subconscious will find a way to find something to divert your attention :crap:

As for it being distracting...I'm not wanting to make this a distraction from anything. Heck, I don't even know if it would work out or not, just tossing an idea out there. I figured it could be done at a time when the markets aren't in motion...or even something like ranj's idea of having each member of the group post a video of 2-3 issues that they are watching at the current time and post that up to a group. that might work out, too. Then we could have the interaction be in the form of typing. Again, just tossing ideas out.

I think Paltalk or whatever is fine if you are mainly looking for audio. I do not believe you can share charts, but it's been awhile since I've been on it so who knows.

A discussion room during the day is hard to do in my opinion. But as Tin has suggested here, something after hours, could work for many if the interest is there. If not, something like what Tin has done here could do wonders as well.

Another idea would be for anyone interested to create their own blog, like James_gsx has mentioned here.

There's a few different ways to do this and while the weekly chat idea is probably the best idea in terms of interaction, accountability, etc. it may also be the hardest in my opinion.

One other suggestion Tin - the chat room can be run more smoothly if everyone in there trades the same way (or very similar). That was one thing that kept the discussion group going that I was in and what keeps this one in Columbus thriving - there is a commonality among all traders. For example, if I know candlesticks are going to be discussed, I will be there. If not, the interest will dwindle for me. That's just an example, but hopefully you get my point.

I like the idea guys. Swing trading stocks is where I started so I would be more than happy to participate in any discussions on swing trading.

Are there any particular markets that you are going to concentrate on? I haven't actually touched US stocks before so that area is 100% new to me but it shouldn't be too different from my domestic market :)

As for it being distracting...I'm not wanting to make this a distraction from anything. Heck, I don't even know if it would work out or not, just tossing an idea out there. I figured it could be done at a time when the markets aren't in motion...or even something like ranj's idea of having each member of the group post a video of 2-3 issues that they are watching at the current time and post that up to a group. that might work out, too. Then we could have the interaction be in the form of typing. Again, just tossing ideas out.

Actually my overall point which I probably didn't make well is that its not 'things' that are distracting - its the mind allowing (or wanting) to be distracted. Remarkable how in the past I'd find myself checking email or off pouring a coffee just as price is approaching a level where I need to take action.

Tin,

After reading some of the threads here, my suggestion is this:

1) Set up a part on this forum or on yahoo for those that want to do this and will participate. MAKE THIS A CLOSED OR 'MEMBERS ONLY' FORUM. The reason is that these ideas and discussions need to be openly shared by those putting forth some effort and not have to worry about being criticized by lurkers. You know what I am getting at. Also, those not participating need to know they will be booted.

2) Get some rules in place for posting - most post at least one update per week, provide past/current/future possible plays, etc.

3) IF the interest is there and gets going, consider the weekly live call.

The reason I am suggesting this route is to make your life easier and gauge the interest before you put too much time into this. If you look at these posts, there are many 'kinda' interested posts... I thought we would see more 'let's do this!' posts, so that is telling in my opinion. A members only forum is an easy step to test the waters out first.

here is an idea:

how about creating a 'group account' on youtube.com and we will pass around the initial password. everyone does a video of a few minutes and posts an idea or whatever they would like to discuss. you have an intial grace period. anyone can post a video. whoever has made a contribution with a little effort put in --- gets the new password. if you go more than 2 weeks consistently without a new contribution you lose password rights (obviously some leniency for vacation or other rules.)

a related idea would be to have a public youtube site in which you put on a video. you then get invitation to another youtube account if you contribute something with effort to the first one...

some hack could always take the password and delete everything. thus, you have to earn the privledge of the second site in order to show you aren't just a hack.

just an idea. maybe that can spark another idea.

I have an idea to contribute to get started. will work on it later today.

We could use the videos as a way to market the forum actually....

hadn't thought of that, good idea.

just to keep the ball rolling, I just set up an account on youtube:

go here: http://www.youtube.com/my_account

YouTube Username: 'PublicIdeas'

Password: 'traderslab' (all lower-case)

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Just an example. I encourage other ideas to grab bull by horns and run with it.

----------

Rule could be that eveyones FIRST contribution is public. If you make a contribution, then send the link of the posted video and also request a private password. Send this to:

swing_trader_ideas_public@yahoo.co m

and you will get access to the new site and password.

dog

This is just an example of a way to do this. By all means, it could be improved and/or scrapped altoghether. I will just go with the flow on this as this took about 5 mins to set-up so no skin off my back.

We could use the videos as a way to market the forum actually....

hadn't thought of that, good idea.

just to keep the ball rolling, I just set up an account on youtube:

go here: http://www.youtube.com/my_account

YouTube Username: 'PublicIdeas'

Password: 'traderslab' (all lower-case)

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Just an example. I encourage others with an idea to just grab bull by horns and run with it. I am all for a Darwinian process here.

----------

Rule could be that eveyones FIRST contribution is public. If you make a contribution, then send the link of the posted video and also request a private password. Send this to:

swing_trader_ideas_public@yahoo.com

and you will get access to the new site and password, which could serve as an ongoing idea-sharing video site.

dog

This is just an example of a way to do this. By all means, it could be improved and/or scrapped altoghether. I will just go with the flow on this as this took about 5 mins to set-up so no skin off my back.

note: you can get a free download of video-recording software at:

http://www.download.com/SnagIt/3000-2192_4-10717260.html

save the file as a '.avi' file and upload it to youtube.

(I am not the guy for technical issues like this so if someone knows a way to do this where the video is more clear -- please do it --- but keep it simple).

Very sweet idea!! I'm currently at a concert doing sound but it's pre-show right now so checking in on things. I'll definitely get to more on this tomorrow after i wake up....might be late....

just checked this thread. I posted a video to the site this morning before the market (8:30am EST). its kind of blurry and I kind of rambled but its just for testing it out anyway. the idea was real though as I did go long the idea today (COGN) and holding overnight.

here is the link to check out: