Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Sunnyside

What chart to use for price movement in this way?

If I want a chart to see price movement say for example in the mini Russell. The opening is 842.0 and I would like somthing to chart everytime there is a

.8 move to say for example 842.8 as an upward move and represent it as a blue bar. or if it goes down .8 to 841.2 then it would be represented as a red bar on a chart. What kind of chart could I use to visually represent this type of price movement in some way? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

You would want to use a "Range" chart. Here is an example. Each candle will have a max 8 tick range (0.80 dollar value) and when a candle prints a tick above or below the range, a new candle will draw.

untitled_1___er___0.8r__0.8_range-20071014-090124.jpg

I have trade navigator and I found out their programming does not let you print volume bars or candles by Ticks. They only allow for time. Is this normal for a trading software to not have this feature? Thanks..

I have trade navigator and I found out their programming does not let you print volume bars or candles by Ticks. They only allow for time. Is this normal for a trading software to not have this feature? Thanks..

thats more of a trading soft so it has very basic charting... cheers

Thanks for all the replys.

What is a multi chart? Do you have a picture? I am looking into Ninja trader as a possible solution, but the Zen-Fire tech support say my DSL modem will not let thier super fast price qoutes through due to my firewall. I have never had any issues with my current broker. I also had the firewall turned off. What gives. It seems like a simple thing but it has ended up being very complicated so far. I would like to find a chart feed service and software to get going on this. I also ask tech support from two different companies to set me up with a range chart and they said they never heard of it. Oh well, tommorrow is another day.

I am looking into Ninja trader as a possible solution, but the Zen-Fire tech support say my DSL modem will not let thier super fast price qoutes through due to my firewall.
I have tried Zenfire-NT6+ with a Westell DSL modem. There are no issues. Unless you have an esoteric setup, I don't see why ZF support will tell you that it doesn't work. Try NT support, they should be better at getting you connected.

NT6.5 Beta Version 3 is also released; you can download it through their support forum link. I won't post the URL here because it is a beta version and the URL is not persistent. NT is not the most stable of software and you can get program hangs (even in a middle of a trade :angry:) and memory leaks, but it is good for what it does when it works, especially if you are mostly using it for charting.

Sierra Charts supports range bars. They also support tick and volume charts (kudos to brownsfan).

Your broker will most likely be able to provide a data feed to Sierra Charts if you can link it to Ninja Trader.