Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TinGull

Farewell to Futures

Just wanted to say I'm not going to be trading futures intra-day anymore. I'll be swing trading equities/ETF's from here on out. The day to day grind of the markets over the past year with a little bit of volatility for 6 weeks is something I don't want to deal with anymore.

So, just thought I'd share with the community. I'm sure I'll still be on here, so don't cry too much!

Tin,

Sorry to hear man. You gotta do what is best for you, so I wish you noting but the best. With the quality threads you've produced here, I'm surprised that something is not working, or not working enough to keep you in this game.

One suggestion if I may - candlestick analysis can be VERY powerful on the dailys. After working in the candlestick corner and looking at dailys with James_gsx, I've given some serious consideration to adding some swing trading plays back into my mix as well. Make no mistake, the real money is made catching the weekly trending move vs. grinding it out each day. What's so nice about day-trading futures then? Daily income. That's why I do it at least.

Good luck and perhaps you should discuss a swing trading area on the forum with James. This idea has been brought up before and if there's enough out there swing trading, there could be a nice addition to the forum.

Thanks Brownsfan. I'm surprised i wasn't able to get something working, too...but maybe it just wasn't my niche.

And yes, I'll be employing all the same things I had been using intraday, just on a longer time frame with candles and volume.

I'll see about getting a new forum going for swing trading. Could be fun.

Dude you're gonna be fine man! Plenty of money in swing trading too my man.

You're smart as hell and you'll succeed in this game, just keep doing error corrects on your trajectory until you get into your zone.

Just wanted to say I'm not going to be trading futures intra-day anymore. I'll be swing trading equities/ETF's from here on out. The day to day grind of the markets over the past year with a little bit of volatility for 6 weeks is something I don't want to deal with anymore.

So, just thought I'd share with the community. I'm sure I'll still be on here, so don't cry too much!

Thanks Brownsfan. I'm surprised i wasn't able to get something working, too...but maybe it just wasn't my niche.

And yes, I'll be employing all the same things I had been using intraday, just on a longer time frame with candles and volume.

I'll see about getting a new forum going for swing trading. Could be fun.

I would love to see that! I feel so left out sometimes. LOL

HA! Nice Walter! Thanks man.

And Reaver...yea, this may be my niche. I used to do this when I first started out trading and things are just coming 'round full circle. I've asked James to open up a swing trading forum so we can discuss ideas, be it stocks, ETF's or futures and options too. We could discuss various scanning softwares as well.

We'll see!

HA! Nice Walter! Thanks man.

And Reaver...yea, this may be my niche. I used to do this when I first started out trading and things are just coming 'round full circle. I've asked James to open up a swing trading forum so we can discuss ideas, be it stocks, ETF's or futures and options too. We could discuss various scanning softwares as well.

We'll see!

Would be into it as well. I pretty much swing trade the S&P sector ETFs using sector relative strength verse the index and use VSA to determine when to enter.

Rajiv

Swing trading forum sounds good. I'm interested in swing trading too, especially stocks, or single stock futures, but don't know much about them. Still would be nice to have a portion of a portfolio invested in stocks over longer time frame. I'm not sure if I will be doing futures day trading as my primary activity, but for now it is where the calling is.

Swing trading is an area that I love cause thats where I started swing trading stocks. Brown is right, the bread and butter stuff you take intraday but catching a weekly move is what really pulls the cash in. If you have enough capital to fund a swing account then by all means do it.

If you miss the leverage from trading futures, maybe you should consider trading CFD's? There are some good CFD provdiers around and they will let you take a much larger position than you could using straight out equity.

Hope you stick around here though, always loved your posts. You're so good at your analysis Tin, it's a shame to see you give it up! I predict that within a year you'll crack and come back to intraday hehe.

HAHA! Thanks Nick. I don't know that I'll be back to intraday trading or not, no one knows the future right :) I certainly won't miss the leverage. That's one of the things i hate about futures. I guess I'm one of the odd ducks that doesn't like tons of leverage.

I'll still be around for sure, especially if we can get a swing trading forum started.

Swing trading is an area that I love cause thats where I started swing trading stocks. Brown is right, the bread and butter stuff you take intraday but catching a weekly move is what really pulls the cash in. If you have enough capital to fund a swing account then by all means do it.

If you miss the leverage from trading futures, maybe you should consider trading CFD's? There are some good CFD provdiers around and they will let you take a much larger position than you could using straight out equity.

Hope you stick around here though, always loved your posts. You're so good at your analysis Tin, it's a shame to see you give it up! I predict that within a year you'll crack and come back to intraday hehe.

I agree...as the great Stanley Kroll said:

Let your buddies experience all the fun and excitement of scalping and daytrading the markets; in the meantime you can be thinking of what you'll name your new yacht or where your new summer home will be. Just be patient and confident that your investment approach is right. You don't have to take my word for it- the market will prove it to you in a very satisfying and profitable way.

I ALWAYS TRY TO REMEMBER THIS ONE. Stanley Kroll was also the man responsible for getting Reminisces of a Stock Operator back in print in the late 60's early 70's.....it had been long out of print and he revived it.

The guy was a legend and is one of the most influential factors in my trading.

Just wondering fo any of you guys have heard of this system here?

http://www.gemsbot.com/home.html

After hearing what TinGull said...well.. it looks like this system could take some of the daily grind out of intraday trading. The developer of this trading system has open house tomm. You sign up with http://www.tradingrooms.com and go to his trading room tomm October 12 at 8:00 a.m. EDT. You can find the instructions on how to get setup to watch this live trading ffor free tomm. at this link below.

http://gemsbot.com/members/openhousedays.html.

Apparently, somehow he does his live trading at the other site (tradingrooms)where other systems are also tested.

He does have a video at the gemsbot.com site. Not real good quality at least on my computer but it sure sparked my interest. Enough that I signed up at the trading room site and got myself all set up with password and all to watch the live trading tomm.

Just follow the instructions above on how to sign up.

Also here are some other places where folks discuss his system.

http://www.askatrader.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83592&highlight=gemsbot

Not sure if t2w has any thing on the system.

Sure does look it could take the "grind" out of day to day trading.

He only has these free open houses ever so often I think so if it sparks your interest I would suggest signing up tonight so as to be ready for live trading tomm.

I am gonna look at it and try to keep and open mind about it. Let me know what you guys think.

Once you get going on the swing trading with PLENTY of capital beyond a shadow of a doubt and don't have to be attached to the computer all day and can drop the 9 to 5...now THAT's the freedom we dream of. I could technically quit now and go full time, but I want to take advantage of my (relatively) good income to take away the risk and stress associated with being full time with a relatively small account for a swing trader...If I quit now I'd be a walking psycho..a nervous wreck. LOL

You can go play video games, golf (if you're into that stuff), or just whatever you feel necessary....

I have modest goals. LOL

Thanks for the heads up Reaver...got your email. All seems cool, I'll let it slide. And as for the swing trading....yea, thats where I want my income to come from. More so for it to give me the opportunity to volunteer where I want to and have my own studio to record local musicians. That's the big plan.

No worries there man. About swing trading, what you said sounds like "The Life" you know? Spend a little time researching trades, place your orders, check in here and there....and in the meantime....RELAXATION and getting to do things worthwhile in life, like volunteering, spending time with family, etc....and the recording thing sounds awesome-my cousin owned (still does to my knowledge) a studio in Nashville and wrote a Waylon Jennings #1 hit a while back (Luckenbach Texas)...I have been into music since I was young, as my dad was a studio musician when I was young-that would rock to own a studio and be able to spend time enjoying it)