Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

darthtrader

Pairs Trading: Quantitative Methods and Analysis

by Ganapathy Vidyamurthy.

I just ordered this book the other day after having read a pdf version for about a month.

While even after having read alot of this I would not want to get into pairs trading this is an excellent introduction to the "quant" side of trading. In some sense this could be titled "Statistical Arbitrage for Dummies" or "Financial Time Series Analysis for Dummies". While to be useful one would have to understand rather heavy math/stats, this is the only text I've found that focuses on explaining the concepts rather than explaining things mainly via equations/models. If anything this book has inspired me to become numerate. The most interesting aspect of this book is none of this stuff really comes up on retail message boards and the quant boards are mostly filled with discussions on derivatives/exotics and their price models rather than the basic statarb stuff.

I read in Trader Magazine about a trader who trades outright directional plays but uses a statarb model with only taking one side of the trade. This could be a very interesting area to explore and this is the best introduction to that kind of trading.