Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

CuriousGeorge

Who Can See My Stop Market Orders?

When I submit a stop market order, is it sent to the market or is it held by my broker waiting to be sent? The reason i ask is because I'm curious who sees the order. Is it just my broker or do other market participants able to see it as well?

I hear of stop hunting, but is this done by participants who assume orders are at a certain level or is it done by people who can SEE orders at a certain level?

When I submit a stop market order, is it sent to the market or is it held by my broker waiting to be sent? The reason i ask is because I'm curious who sees the order. Is it just my broker or do other market participants able to see it as well?

I hear of stop hunting, but is this done by participants who assume orders are at a certain level or is it done by people who can SEE orders at a certain level?

I do not (i am fairly certain) think anyone can see your order except the system (software). The systems are based on events so when an event triggers it will get your stop. The stops are most likely put in a database at your on-line broker's system. They are not sent to the brokerage firms until the stops are hit.

There are probably millions of stop order and no one has time to keep looking at where the majority stops are etc. You can actually guess where most people put their stops...right below the previous support or resistance. and we are all taught the same thing. how hard can it be to guess?

Now also think about the people who can move a market; they are pros who deal in 100s of contracts and large volumes on their clients behalf. They don t not sit there and spend time in analyzing stops etc. that would be more waste of resource.

do not buy in to that stuff.