Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

EV1

Sources of VSA Information

I recently came across VSA and I am completely confused as to:

1) What is the best source of VSA info. (i.e. tradeguider, Volumespreadanalysis.com etc.)?

2) What books are best from the one's available (MTM, Trading in the Shadow etc.)?

3) Is the TG software a good tool? It seems to be available for a fee of about $99/mo. which comes with an "educational trading course".

4) I work a 9-5EST job and cannot trade intra-day. Is VSA (w/ or w/o the software effective using end-of-day data?

Thank you for any help.

1) What is the best source of VSA info. (i.e. tradeguider, Volumespreadanalysis.com etc.)?

I would start with Master the Markets by Tom Williams. I personally feel that everyone buying tradeguider or other VSA indicators are doing themselves a disservice. Learn to read price and volume through study and practice. There are some good threads on various sites about VSA. (forexfactory, babypips.com - but I trade forex)

2) What books are best from the one's available (MTM, Trading in the Shadow etc.)?

Master the Markets is all you need. Unfortunately there is a sales pitch for tradeguider built into the material. Trading in the Shadow doesn't seem to add anything new and is another sales pitch for tradeguider.

3) Is the TG software a good tool? It seems to be available for a fee of about $99/mo. which comes with an "educational trading course".

I have never used it so I can't say how good or bad it is but I can say you don't need it. I've read plenty of good and bad reviews. You can do better than the signals generated by tradeguider by learning what to look for yourself. VSA is pretty simple in its concepts. It is based on logic. If you learn and apply the logic you will outperform a person that needs tradeguider to tell him what is going on.

4) I work a 9-5EST job and cannot trade intra-day. Is VSA (w/ or w/o the software effective using end-of-day data?

Yes. It works on all timeframes.

Thank you very, very much Yertle. I guess i'm a little wary of the benefit of "just a book." Must be my poor conditioning that makes me think anything of value must cost alot of money. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts. I appreciate it.

I would start with Master the Markets by Tom Williams. I personally feel that everyone buying tradeguider or other VSA indicators are doing themselves a disservice. Learn to read price and volume through study and practice. There are some good threads on various sites about VSA. (forexfactory, babypips.com - but I trade forex)

Master the Markets is all you need. Unfortunately there is a sales pitch for tradeguider built into the material. Trading in the Shadow doesn't seem to add anything new and is another sales pitch for tradeguider.

I have never used it so I can't say how good or bad it is but I can say you don't need it. I've read plenty of good and bad reviews. You can do better than the signals generated by tradeguider by learning what to look for yourself. VSA is pretty simple in its concepts. It is based on logic. If you learn and apply the logic you will outperform a person that needs tradeguider to tell him what is going on.

Yes. It works on all timeframes.

Yes Master the Markets as advised. It has a few errata you'll work that out as you digest the info.

There where 3 mammoth threads here. Whilst there is quite a low signal to noise ratio in places there are a couple of insightful posters that contributed in other places. You'll probably work out who, there where also a couple that did not really stand up to close scrutiny (be more wary of the hindsight only guys).

Great. Thank you very much. Is Wycoff a study that is undertaken by most that look to learn VSA?

Yes Master the Markets as advised. It has a few errata you'll work that out as you digest the info.

There where 3 mammoth threads here. Whilst there is quite a low signal to noise ratio in places there are a couple of insightful posters that contributed in other places. You'll probably work out who, there where also a couple that did not really stand up to close scrutiny (be more wary of the hindsight only guys).

Not all people learn the same way. I personally enjoy digesting books. To be honest - the principles that Wyckoff taught and VSA teaches are simple. Its the application of these simple principles that take time. Its finding your own style that works with these principles that takes time.

As for whether you should study Wyckoff - VSA is basically a distilled version of Wyckoff. Studying Wyckoff can only reinforce what you read in VSA sources. I personally have read and continue to read anything I can get my hands on with regards to tape reading, VSA, the Wyckoff method or any other term for understanding price and volume.

Personally I believe that my understanding of accumulation and distribution is due to studying Wyckoff. Master the Markets have simplified entry signals but I needed both.

Not all people learn the same way. I personally enjoy digesting books. To be honest - the principles that Wyckoff taught and VSA teaches are simple. Its the application of these simple principles that take time. Its finding your own style that works with these principles that takes time.

As for whether you should study Wyckoff - VSA is basically a distilled version of Wyckoff. Studying Wyckoff can only reinforce what you read in VSA sources. I personally have read and continue to read anything I can get my hands on with regards to tape reading, VSA, the Wyckoff method or any other term for understanding price and volume.

Personally I believe that my understanding of accumulation and distribution is due to studying Wyckoff. Master the Markets have simplified entry signals but I needed both.

There are a lot of Wyckoff related resources available free here: InformedTrades - University Library, 2nd Floor. I haven't read any Wyckoff yet, only Williams. I would be grateful if Yertle would look at this list and identify the most useful Wyckoff material. TIA

I've looked over the material at Informed Trades but haven't studied much of it. I spent most of my time studying Wyckoff's Original Trading Course (from 1937). Its located here: http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/wyckoff-forum/3866-wyckoff-resources-5.html#post86783

Magic on informed trades has a good course based off of Wyckoff's original. Its located here: Summary Wyckoff Course - InformedTrades

Enjoy

Thanks Yertle Turtle.

I've just finished having a go at the three VS books I could find: two by Tom Williams - 'Mastering the Markets', and 'The Undeclared Secrets That Drive The Stock Market'. They're both very similar but found 'The Undeclared Secrets That Drive The Stock Market' easier to start with. Like you said, Gavin Holmes' 'Trading in the Shadow of the Smart Money' doesn't add anything new, but it does have some pretty neat descriptions of some of the concepts that I found quite useful.

It seems my next step is Wyckoff...