Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

illcrx

Wondering Whether I Should Quit

I had a REALLY bad day yesterday, one of those days where it feels like nothing goes right and where things that should go wrong go horribly wrong, one that just pisses you off to no end!

Well those days I use as reflective days, I wasn't trading by the way.

One of the things I thought of was whether I should trade anymore or quit and just invest in mutual funds. I have made no money from trading and apparently I am addicted to over-trading. I mean really addicted to over-trading. I know this effects many people and Im wondering if anyone has overcome this to successfully trade and make a living or at least grow your Roth IRA?

I will always get in too early before a daily trend line break, then out after it crosses a 5 minute level of support, without breaking out. Sometimes during the same day sometimes during the 2-3 days following my entry. Also I seem to move my attention away from the leader stocks while they are "boringly" basing, obviously I know I do this yes it persists. Like everyone on here Im a good stock picker but a horrible trader, I know I am doing this wrong and for some reason I cant get it right! I have no written strategy, I have no written trading log and no money management policy and I understand that all of this goes against good practices, I really just wonder why I cant get it straight! This last go around was with fake money and I said I wasnt going to trade until I took that 50k to 1 million, see how unrealistic that is!

I am big on beating myself up and am my own worst critic at the same time I know I am capable of great things, maybe stock trading just isn't one of them?

Has anyone gone through something similar?

Hi Illcrx,

Don't pack it in just yet. From reading your post, you already know what to do:

"I have no written strategy, I have no written trading log and no money management policy and I understand that all of this goes against good practices..."

One of the things I'm still constantly struggling with; is stopping myself from playing around with different systems or parameters in testing, hoping i'll come across a winner.

But of course hoping doesn't doesn't bring in the cash. I now am forcing myself to follow a structured approach to improving my trading.

You've already recognised the things you need to do. Uncross those fingers, and get stuck into the nitty gritty work. There's no other way.

I haven't mastered this yet either, and will be there struggling along beside you (in spirit anyways).

Keep at it!

Mark.

I had a REALLY bad day yesterday, one of those days where it feels like nothing goes right and where things that should go wrong go horribly wrong, one that just pisses you off to no end!

One of the things I thought of was whether I should trade anymore or quit and just invest in mutual funds. I have made no money from trading and apparently I am addicted to over-trading. I mean really addicted to over-trading. I know this effects many people and Im wondering if anyone has overcome this to successfully trade and make a living or at least grow your Roth IRA?

I will always get in too early before a daily trend line break, then out after it crosses a 5 minute level of support, without breaking out. Sometimes during the same day sometimes during the 2-3 days following my entry. Also I seem to move my attention away from the leader stocks while they are "boringly" basing, obviously I know I do this yes it persists. Like everyone on here Im a good stock picker but a horrible trader, I know I am doing this wrong and for some reason I cant get it right! I have no written strategy, I have no written trading log and no money management policy and I understand that all of this goes against good practices, I really just wonder why I cant get it straight! This last go around was with fake money and I said I wasnt going to trade until I took that 50k to 1 million, see how unrealistic that is!

I am big on beating myself up and am my own worst critic at the same time I know I am capable of great things, maybe stock trading just isn't one of them?

learning to learn is the first step to success.

I will always get in too early

There is a good side to this. The very best thing that any trader could ever have, is to know what the price is going to do in the future. You always get in too early. That implies that you correctly anticipated what the price was going to do before hand. That's not a bad thing. If you are correctly anticipating what price is going to do, then you actually have a huge advantage, because you have time to react. You are just reacting to early.

In practice trading, intentionally wait until after the turn in price. Develop a habit of waiting. Actually wait until you think it's too late. Notice how it feels to be patient and wait. You have a hard time dealing with the anticipation. You want the uncomfortable feeling to be over with so you react on your feelings. Being patient and waiting causes tension, and you want the tension gone, so you enter the order. Or you may have fear that you are going to miss the entry. But if you are getting in way to early, then it doesn't make any sense to be afraid of missing out on the entry.

My opinion is, that this issue is primarily an issue of letting emotions control you. Do you want something controlling you that is doing bad things to you? That's the way I think of it. I think of it in terms of a computer program running in my emotions that is simply making me do what I shouldn't be doing. If that is true, then you have no "free will"; you are just a robot doing whatever the program tells you to do, even if it makes you trade badly. Do you want to be a mindless robot, allowing your mind to make you do what you shouldn't be doing? Most people are mindless robots, and they have absolutely no idea what they are doing or why they are doing it. We must reprogram ourselves. That's why I'm telling you to practice waiting until the point where you think it's too late. Then make a mental note about whether you actually were to late or not, then adjust.

I made myself wait until I thought it was actually past the optimum point to exit a trade, and it made a huge difference. I was constantly exiting the trade too early.

Do not quit just yet. At this point you are not losing money. I think that you have done the right thing in going to a simulator. Second i think it is also good that you have figured out that you have no written plan and no money management technique. You have found your weakneses. Now what you must work on is two things. First you must write out what is going to get you into the market and what is going to get you out. This does not have to be perfect but it must be detailed enough that there is no second guessing yourself about whether or not you should pull the trigger. Now this could be simple not something fancy. Actually the simpler the better. Now you must firmly beleive that following this entry strategy is THE ONLY WAY to your success. Commit to this for 30 days. Do not worry about making money or if your trades are positive or negative. Just focus on only taking trades that are permitted by your plan that is it. No other trades allowed.

The firstbfew days are the hardest especially if your trades are losers. Do not focus on the money just the process.

Once you get this going start analyzing the losing trades and constantly ask yourself if there is a common theme among the losers. If you observe somethng then write it down and try to adjust. You can adjust your setups but this work has to be done after the close not during the trading day. In time probabaly a few months you will star nitcing little nuances that will help you bring your winning percentages up.

Everything that you have written in your post i have personally experienced and i felt lost and frustrated witout a clue. It was not until i committed myself to only taking predifined trades based on my plan that i started to turn the corner. Now the lsoing days are much fewer than than the winning days

One last thing dont blame yourself for losses. Congtratulate yourself for following the plan. If you lose consistently iys not your fault if you are following the plan, it is your setups. Blame them and then try and fix them. Check out my thread called "i used to blame myself" in the psychology section.

I know this will help you. And let me know how it goes. PM me or just post here.

Make that plan write it out and follow it

Good luck

I know I am doing this wrong and for some reason I cant get it right! I have no written strategy, I have no written trading log and no money management policy and I understand that all of this goes against good practices, I really just wonder why I cant get it straight!

It is not just 'good practices' you are pretty much doomed to failure until you take care of those things. Until then you are playing at trading. Harsh but true.

The question you have to ask yourself is why have you not formalised your plan and money management strategy? Is it fear of failure? Maybe it's an excuse (if you have no plan you can be lenient on yourself regrading whether you executing properly). Perhaps you are still in the 'grail' stage and don't want to commit to the plan until it is 'perfect'. Maybe you want to validate yourself through 'calling the market', a plan would take away that glory (it would also shoulder a lot of the pain incidentally). Slap your self for trading without a plan and commit to not doing it again.

And Yes. Been through very similar as I imagine many people here have.

Wow thank a lot everyone for your input, it has been very helpful and encouraging.

I definitively understand what you guys are saying in that I dont have those things written down and you are absolutely right and I will start to do that.

SRspider, I actually read your thread before I posted this one! Very good insight.

BlowFish, you are absolutely right I am doomed to fail with the way that I do things, the old way. Maybe it was an excuse, maybe it was me trying to trade the lazy way as life gets hectic and the GF doesnt like me spending hours on the computer. But no more! You guys have rejuvenated me! I will get back on this horse but I wrote down a few notes to get me back on track.

1) Go get a few binders to write down daily trade journals, whether I traded or not, on the general market condition and how I'm looking at it and maybe I'll go back every 6 months and make subsequent notes on whether I was correct or need to adjust how I look at things

2) I'll write down my setups I want to see, SPspider is right on this one and the stupid part is that I knew it before! So I'll write down my setups and adjust them every 30 days or so.

3) Write down my money management style and stick to it, try to make it automatic with alerts at certain price points.

Tradewinds, you are definitely correct about my emotions controlling me and the anticipation factor, though I never though of it in the terms of "anticipation" thats exactly what was happening. Also I know for a fact that the Wall St players on the other side of the terminal position the market like this on purpose to take advantage of this psychological weakness of people and I let them play me! Grrr. You are dead on about needing to be comfortable in the uncomfortable, I have been there briefly before and I need to get back there.

Wow thanks a lot guys you gave me all I needed and more, great insight. I'll start posting on here more often apparently its a good forum!

FYI, I follow IBD and Dan Zanger.

It took me 4 years to really get trading and I think even though I am making money consistently now (year 6) I know I still have loads to learn and find that really exciting.

By "boring basing" do you mean consolidation / ranging? If so just remember that sideways motion is the big money hunting liquidity and gathering discounted orders before they make their move. They HAVE to do this in order to bring unwary money into the market, how many times have you entered a trade, got stopped out and then it reverses in your direction?

Learn to play them at their own games.

Edited by xkr1962
spelling

Most discretionary traders that trade without a trading plan and without a trade journal (diary) for documentation of the trading "usually" do such because they already know (don't want to admit such) they don't have the discipline to stick with it...to follow the rules they've outlined.

Also, most problems for discretionary traders (those not using an automated trading system) have none trading related problems that's sabotaging their trading. It's why no matter how much tweaking or adjustments or new things they try in the trade methods or trading plan...they remain consistently losing.

Your number one goal is to try to determine if you're currently suitable for trading prior to that next trade. You need to sit down with someone (not yourself) that's very familiar with your personal life that can give you unbias feedback about what baggage in your personal life can have an impact on your trading results.

For example, you can discuss debt problems, financial problems, relationship problems, problems dealing with stress, unhealthy lifestyle, unrealistic expectations in new ventures et cetera. Think about this very carefully, these things do sabotage other careers...don't be delusional in thinking a career in trading will not feel the impact of such.

Simply, most traders don't have all their ducks lined up prior to trading nor do they have a plan B when things go horribly wrong and such will go horribly wrong for most traders. For example, do you have enough capital and living expenses for a minimum of one year without any new income coming in? You trading as a hobbyist or trying to become a career trader? You trading the right trading instruments that your trade method can exploit? You have the proper trading environment at home? You have proper trading equipment? You have someone in person (not online) to talk to about your trading problems...someone that has an existing knowledge of trading and it's pitfalls?

My point with the above...if your ducks aren't line up prior to your next trade. A trading plan and trade journal (diary) will not be enough...not even close.

Wow thank a lot everyone for your input, it has been very helpful and encouraging.

I definitively understand what you guys are saying in that I dont have those things written down and you are absolutely right and I will start to do that.

SRspider, I actually read your thread before I posted this one! Very good insight.

BlowFish, you are absolutely right I am doomed to fail with the way that I do things, the old way. Maybe it was an excuse, maybe it was me trying to trade the lazy way as life gets hectic and the GF doesnt like me spending hours on the computer. But no more! You guys have rejuvenated me! I will get back on this horse but I wrote down a few notes to get me back on track.

1) Go get a few binders to write down daily trade journals, whether I traded or not, on the general market condition and how I'm looking at it and maybe I'll go back every 6 months and make subsequent notes on whether I was correct or need to adjust how I look at things

2) I'll write down my setups I want to see, SPspider is right on this one and the stupid part is that I knew it before! So I'll write down my setups and adjust them every 30 days or so.

3) Write down my money management style and stick to it, try to make it automatic with alerts at certain price points.

Tradewinds, you are definitely correct about my emotions controlling me and the anticipation factor, though I never though of it in the terms of "anticipation" thats exactly what was happening. Also I know for a fact that the Wall St players on the other side of the terminal position the market like this on purpose to take advantage of this psychological weakness of people and I let them play me! Grrr. You are dead on about needing to be comfortable in the uncomfortable, I have been there briefly before and I need to get back there.

Wow thanks a lot guys you gave me all I needed and more, great insight. I'll start posting on here more often apparently its a good forum!

FYI, I follow IBD and Dan Zanger.

I am probably not the one to give advice as I'm 8 months into my trading education and new career. May I suggest a couple things, 1) take some time out, get away from trading, not for good but for a period of time that will allow you to reflect, 2) consider getting some professional coaching. Perhaps having someone looking over your shoulder providing immediate feedback on your strategies, trading techniques, entries, exits, etc. would help. In addition, commit to writing down your trading strategy(ies) and keep a trading journal. There is "power in the telling." By that I mean, that when you take the time to write down your trades, the why, how, when, and your emotions before and after, you'll get in touch with "you."

Again, take this for what it's worth and what it cost you, nada mas.

All the best,

jwhtrades

How long have you been trading? There's a huge learning curve and you will lose a lot along the way. If you don't know how to lose or have a huge ego in the way you are in for a massive struggle.

Should you quit? Yes. If that's what you want to do. No one is forcing you to be a trader and if you are not enjoying the process either your expectations are too high and need to be adjusted or trading is not compatible with your personality.

The market is not here to give you anything. It's not here to be easy. And will not become easy so your emotional pain can ease.

Most of us just want to feel successful at something. We want to win. But you can't beat the market. It will destroy you is you try. You can learn to become the market and in the process you will lose a ton. A ton of hours. A ton of money. A ton of energy. For some the trade off is worth it. For me it was/is. There are a ton of benefits that come out of dedication and commitment far beyond money.

Good luck to you whatever you choice ends up being.

You are not alone with your feelings, I've quit so many times I lost count! Sometimes 3 times in one day ;)

Scale back, take things smaller, and work through the challenges that are holding you back

I think (thats a dangerous word!) it's going to be a boring summer so you will have plenty of time to take it nice and slow

I know it's an overused saying, but it definitely applies: it's a marathon not a sprint

Trading has no purpose of its own. Consequently, if you feel the need to ask whether you should stop, then you probably should. If you change your mind, you could always come back, right?

Also, since you state (and re-state) that you are seriously addicted to over-trading, that says it all very clear. Trading is not for junkies. Get yourself straight, stay away, and don't even look this way during a pre-defined time.

So yeah, you should quit, for some time or for good.

WRBtrader, you have some very good points.

I am not 100% perfectly ready I will admit that.

I do not have steady income but I have very few bills. I have been unemployed for 18 months and live off of side jobs and that more than gets me by. But one very important thing that I dont have and have searched for is a "trading buddy" and I cannot find one. My girlfriend, friends and have even tried talking to some traders when I come across them, none of them have been interested in an ongoing relationship regarding trading. I do like to work with others and sometimes talking to people about things really helps, this I am definitely lacking in.

. . . one very important thing that I dont have and have searched for is a "trading buddy" and I cannot find one. My girlfriend, friends and have even tried talking to some traders when I come across them, none of them have been interested in an ongoing relationship regarding trading. I do like to work with others and sometimes talking to people about things really helps, this I am definitely lacking in.

I think it's difficult to find someone to work with. Trading is very individualistic. A trader who is already established, probably wouldn't gain much from mentoring someone. Two traders who are learning trading will almost certainly have different trading styles, abilities and commitments. I'd like to find people to cooperate with myself, but I already have a trading style, and fairly well defined and documented trading strategy. I don't feel like I have a lot to gain from someone who doesn't have much experience, or something special to offer. There have been two people who I emailed back and forth with for quite a while, sharing ideas, but at the point where I felt that I was contributing a lot more than the other person, I started refraining from telling them what i had discovered. I guess that I've decided that I'd rather have someone either invest with me, or somehow learn to trade my system. But that puts the other person in a kind of subordinate role. But anyone who is pursuing trading probably wants to be very much be in charge of their own trading. So what are we left with? A bunch of people posting their views on Traders Laboratory. :rofl:

In terms of the mental aspect of this profession, I have found that success comes to those who take a long term perspective.and you have to be willing to ignore the isolation, the boredom and the distractions in and around your home office.

In terms of motivation, what you need is the inner confidence that sooner or later you will find a method that works for you, AND if I were to do one thing differently, I would be more disciplined about investigating every possible method of trading...Why, becaue you never know when you are going to run into a style, a method, something that clicks for you. One thing that helped me was that I started to catalogue the various methods that I knew about in an organized manner. One day I thought hey what if I combine a couple of methods and try to trade them together..By the way there used to be a software program that would try out all different kind of indicators and settings, looking for something that worked in various markets (I think it was called "stratus search" or something similar).

Hope some of this helps

Steve

Tradewinds, I know what your talking about I have talked with a few traders and felt like a burden and eventually those relationships dwindled, also with beginning traders its like the blind leading the blind. I think that if I were to find a mentor with a different style than me I would learn that style as long as it wasnt 180 degrees off of mine. I think most of traders kind of follow the same psychological strategy even if their methods are different and thats the hard part to learn. Steve, I already have a strategy and yes I have tried many different styles and have taken a few cues from some of them but I have settled on the swing trading style of IBD and Zanger they seem to fit what I want out of trading and I can see what they see I just cant get the rest together.

Thanks guys!

Great thread.

I've only been day trading for about 9 months. Prior to that I spent about a year and a half charting and dabbling with a cash account. I was SUPREMELY confident in the setup I was going to trade. Alas, this has taken a lot longer than I anticipated .... go figure right? The issue is not really the setup. It's just amazing to me how I have not been able to take full advantage. I am constantly around stocks that move 3% to 10% and some even larger.

The issue lies with me. I just need to get some consistency with my psychology. I'm currently in one of the worst trading ruts I've had to endure. I've fallen into that trap where I'm executing trades with the memory of the last bad one. I've grown increasingly more frustrated from selling too soon before a big move. It keeps happening over and over again. Now perhaps it's a little naive to sit there and think that as a trader I'm going to be able to snag every % of the move, but I'm certainly not getting enough out of the trade.

I really need to stop beating myself up over it though. It's just so hard because I've really upped my trading IQ and this setup I trade is something I really feel I can make a career out of. Heck, I've helped tons of other people make money with it. I'm dying for a break out already. I will say that it probably wasn't smart to take all of this on with the port I started with. I expected to pay bills, pay back money, and build my account right off the bat. That's a lot of pressure to perform. I also should've picked my spots better. There have been days when I absolutely should not have been trying to trade my setup because the market was conducive enough. I guess the pressure of trading for income was causing a lot of that.

I guess in some ways I'm paying for an education. It's just that the funds are not unlimited and I treading thin ice. I can't imagine what else I'd do. I was so unhappy in my previous line of work. This is the only thing that has made complete sense to me.

Going back to working out why you are trading without a proper plan, the Mark Douglas books might help. They are considered 'classics' by many. Most people seem to prefer the second the first is probably more challenging. The first kind of breaks you down and the second builds you up again. Of course you could just say NO I am not going to do it anymore.

I think it's difficult to find someone to work with. Trading is very individualistic. A trader who is already established, probably wouldn't gain much from mentoring someone. Two traders who are learning trading will almost certainly have different trading styles, abilities and commitments. I'd like to find people to cooperate with myself, but I already have a trading style, and fairly well defined and documented trading strategy. I don't feel like I have a lot to gain from someone who doesn't have much experience, or something special to offer. There have been two people who I emailed back and forth with for quite a while, sharing ideas, but at the point where I felt that I was contributing a lot more than the other person, I started refraining from telling them what i had discovered. I guess that I've decided that I'd rather have someone either invest with me, or somehow learn to trade my system. But that puts the other person in a kind of subordinate role. But anyone who is pursuing trading probably wants to be very much be in charge of their own trading. So what are we left with? A bunch of people posting their views on Traders Laboratory. :rofl:

Nice post Tradewinds, I had slightly differing results than you by having trading buddies. I think the important thing is that you find a method that you feel certain is profitable on a forum or something, then you build relationships with other like minded people from there. I definately found It was easier to learn that way, use skype or something to chat live about charts and setups, there are plenty of free chartshare programs out there too like mikogo. You may even be able to convince the thread starter to teach a group of you in a live room.

As time has passed trader buddies have come and gone, some just didn't have what it takes, some are now very profitable, I have made some good friends that way. You will need to have the drive and determination to succeed, that can only come from absolute belief in the method you have chosen to learn.

Good luck.

I firmly believe every successful trader has an edge, a technique that he has confidence in. If you have an edge, you'll be able to define a strategy around it. You'll be convinced that this pattern will work, so you develop a system for finding that pattern, setting the right stops, and (the hardest part) knowing when to exit. Patience is key, as one of the repliers mentioned. Wait for your setup. Stay on the simulator until you get to know that those patterns work. It's fun when you know you have an edge.

Wow I really appreciate all of the feedback and advice, I also hope this thread helps others in similar positions.

Well I am going to continue trading, I just need to master what I already know. I have been trading on and off for 6-7 years, when Im unemployed I trade lol.

I have written some trading rules that should work well for ME and if I follow them should take away some of MY shortcomings as a trader. Im going to do the unthinkable and share this! Maybe you guys have some input or want to steal some of the list.

Trading Rules:

__ 1) Only buy from your current written buy list.

Buy list consists of:

TZA

TNA

One large stock-leader

One small stock-grower

__ 2) In order to put a stock on the buy list you must do homework on the stock.

__ 3) The stock must be a leader or THE leader in its sector

__ 4) The stocks sector must be going up in the IBD sector list

__ 5) Only buy within 2% of the buy point.

Follow Dan's rules for getting into and out of a stock

__ 6) Company MUST have an innovative product or dominate its market

__ 7) Market Direction must be clear, go in direction of the market. Follow The Big Picture in IBD for guidance

__ 8) If market goes very toppy TZA is the choice to go long, maybe even options 10% only

__ 9) If market goes long choose the best of the others

a. Best base structure

b. Best chance for 50% return

c. Stock that acted best in downturn

__ 10) If you must use options 10% of account maximum.

One thing I see is that I need sell rules DAMN! Oh well its all a process, That'll be another post I guess.

Yes -- i know exactly where your at. Let me say this -- and take it for what its worth. We all have an opinon of what the market will do. But the market doesn't care. It does what it wants --- not what you want. Therefore --- if your looking for success in trading ---------- and if you don't control price ---- it controls you -------and does what it wants --- then success can only be if one FOLLOWS the market instead of putting your parameters on it. There is a very subtle difference ---- but when you whittle it all down to one sentence --- it is this. YOU MAKE money following the market --- therefore DONT THINK --- LOOK --- and do what the chart says ----NOT WHAT YOU THINK. That is the foundation. TO SURRENDER -----------not fight. You can try to swim upstream --- or you can float downstream. If it makes any sense to you ----- then you can build a plan off of that if you think it through in that manner.

One thing I see is that I need sell rules DAMN! Oh well its all a process, That'll be another post I guess.

You hit on a key concept. I have this exact same problem ... I enter trades with the best of them but am still lacking the discipline to exit trades properly. It almost seems like once I enter I think I'm done 'the trade' ... but in fact its just starting. And this is a beef I have with the newsletter guys, they give pretty good advice on what to buy and when, but never when to sell.

MMS