Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TinGull

Practicing Focus....

Hi there,

Wondering how I could practice my focus? I see great things when I look at a chart as it's happening, but for whatever reason I'm not paying attention to a setup as it's happening as best as I'd like. I'm seeming to be looking for one particular setup, and all else is being blocked, while other great setups happen. Just curious what you folks do to practice your focus?

THANKS!

I have found that one of the best things I can do is to repeatedly ask these questions:

What does the next signal have to look like & how will I take it?

What's the exit look like: what's the target zone and how will I trail stops?"

Interesting, I'll certainly give that a try. I'm more so looking for things to perhaps practice outside of trading itself. Maybe things I can use in my regular life ;)

Thanks Kiwi!

In geometrical optics, a focus, also called an image point, is the point where light rays originating from a point on the object converge [1]. Although the focus is conceptually a point, physically the focus has a spatial extent, called the blur circle. This non-ideal focusing may be caused by aberrations of the imaging optics. In the absence of significant aberrations, the smallest possible blur circle is the Airy disc, which is caused by diffraction from the optical system's aperture. Aberrations tend to get worse as the aperture diameter increases, while the Airy circle is smallest for large apertures.

But if you meant focusing then....

"Focusing" has been referred to as "a procedure for attending to, and being aware of, the body's 'knowing' of the various situations we live in." This way of describing Focusing can be misleading. It's perhaps more accurate to say that Focusing is what you are doing, any time you pay attention to the feel or quality of what you mean and enter into the murky, unclear "edge" of "all that", opening it up by the use of different kinds of questions or suggestions and describing what you find in words, images or actions.

Because we are interacting with a universe which is more intricate than our concepts, we have an implicit knowing "in the areas in which we interact", which is more than our concepts.

Focusing is not a technique, but a naturally occurring human process. When we are focusing, we are intending to establish an interaction between our rational understanding and our somatically rooted “knowingâ€Â.

See it's simple:cool:

Here's how I stay focused and wait for my setup. Trading plan is fundamental in building a focusing point. In addition to reviewing the trading plan from time to time to keep my mind fresh of what I need to do, if I see a possible setup forming, I usually ask if it fits into my plan. Second, I also ask what the likelihood the setup will continue in the direction I have in mind for it (by seeing higher low/high for longs and lower low/high for shorts). If I think yes, then the next question where is the stop and where is the target, then I calculate the ratio to see if it's worth taking the trade, minimum at least 2:1 reward:risk, I prefer 3:1.

Ask these questions every time I think you see a setup, most of the time by the time I ask the second question (reward/risk factor), it won't qualify for me to take the trade, that's a good start because good setups only happen 2-4 times a day and then there are none in some days. Beyond 4, I'm not being picky enough with my setups.

I often use self hypnosis and try to clear my mind from any thought right before the trading session begins. It takes practice at first but once you are able to completely eliminate any thoughts and make your mind blank, it allows me to focus when thoughts re-enter my mind.

Like meditation, right? I'm starting to finally realize that there is a HUGE wall inside my mind that is preventing me from moving forward. I am trying to figure out what this wall is and why it's there so I can bust that baby down. :)

Hi there,

Wondering how I could practice my focus? I see great things when I look at a chart as it's happening, but for whatever reason I'm not paying attention to a setup as it's happening as best as I'd like. I'm seeming to be looking for one particular setup, and all else is being blocked, while other great setups happen. Just curious what you folks do to practice your focus?

THANKS!

I know how you feel.

I have found for myself when I am NOT staring at charts, NOT really wanting to trade is when I do my best.

You have any tricks, sayings or affirmations you want to share, soul? I'm actually looking into using it. Right now, I'm working on Anchoring techniques and I've come up with a few ideas to get my attitude and mind in proper state before trading day begins.

Hello torero,

You mention "anchoring", when you are in a great trade and know all your analysis is bang on, and it is all unfolding just as you had predicted and get this great feeling of confidence, FEEL it, let it sink in, study eveything that led you to this great trade with your mind and soul.

This will be your Anchor eveytime you need to go to a new level.

Step one, pretend there is a circule in front of you on the floor with energy boiling out of it, then step into it, bring back that feeling you had when you made that trade. That is your Anchor.

Cheers,

Emile

Excellent advice, Emile, I didn't think anyone were using it. The only other reference I learned this from (no forum mentioned it) from Vic Sperandeo. Do you practice often?

Tony Robbins used to extole it's virtues a few yrs back, not sure if any of his recent stuff majors on it?!

But he churned out a few decent articles exclusively highlighting it's benefits etc. I know he presented to one or two top tier Banks back in the late 90's & coursed some of the high flyers on the desks as a follow-up gig.

Anchoring & triggers formed part of that process as far as I can remember.

You have any tricks, sayings or affirmations you want to share, soul? I'm actually looking into using it. Right now, I'm working on Anchoring techniques and I've come up with a few ideas to get my attitude and mind in proper state before trading day begins.

http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/index.php

This is excellent software - there is a demo and to buy only $44

download the demo and read up up on NLP + brainwave entrainment and all the various techniques then program your own suggestions and rewire the brain.

There are many pages on anchoring, swish techniques etc.

Listen to a theta transform brainwave state.

This is excellent for trading and the more days you listen the easier it becomes to get into the zone and cease negative thinking and ego interfering with trading.

One warning though - they state the software is not to be used by children or epileptics or if you are on medications or have a history of seizures. Read the disclaimer on the site.

Of course if you are trading with money you can't afford to lose and/or your partner is not supportive then they say one shouldn't be trading under any circumstances.

Excellent advice, Emile, I didn't think anyone were using it. The only other reference I learned this from (no forum mentioned it) from Vic Sperandeo. Do you practice often?

I have never read any of trader Vics books but I think I will soon enough.

To answer your question torero, About twelve years ago I went to a four day NLP retreat and this is where I learned this meathod of anchoring, I have to say that NLP has to be one of the greatest things I have discovered in my life, very powerfull stuff, after that week I looked at things in a whole diffrent manner. The only problem with this fast pace life sometimes I forget to use it.

Cheers,

Emile

I'm sure I (and possibly we) can learn from you on anchoring successful mental attitudes with certain physical cues. I'm very new and don't know how long it takes for things to work. Also, do affirmations and self-talk work?

I'm sure I (and possibly we) can learn from you on anchoring successful mental attitudes with certain physical cues. I'm very new and don't know how long it takes for things to work. Also, do affirmations and self-talk work?

I am quite rusty with some aspects of NLP, affirmations never really took my interest so I really can not comment but I do know one thing that is a mirror image of affirmations that I do know a bit about and that is beating one self up. This can be very damaging subconscuosly, try to avoid calling yourself an idiot or stupid of a looser when a trade goes bad and if you do, take a moment to tell yourself ( I know this is going to sound really corny) that you are sorry.

Now just a footnote here; I do not want to give the impression that I am some kind expert, these are just a few things that I have learned from NLP over the years.

Of course, I see you as an expert. I just see someone who knows more than me :) . Back to anchoring, when is the moment to anchor the entire feeling (emotional state and attitude, etc), when the trade is taken or when the positive results are seen, that is anchor at the entry or anchor at the exit? Which is more important?

Of course, I see you as an expert. I just see someone who knows more than me :) . Back to anchoring, when is the moment to anchor the entire feeling (emotional state and attitude, etc), when the trade is taken or when the positive results are seen, that is anchor at the entry or anchor at the exit? Which is more important?

The best time to anchor is when you feel that it can not get any better. Another point is that you can also use anchors that have anything to do with trading, just a good past experience when your confidence was right up there.

Just one other small point about affermations; never use a negative in an affermation, example; "today I will not overtrade" or "I will not ...........

keep it posative.

cheers

I recall reading something where Jack Nicklaus said that focus was essential to a golfer but that no golfer including him could focus for four straight hours. He said after he hit a shot he would let his mind wander until he was approaching his ball and then he would begin focusing on the next shot and by the time he was standing over the ball he would be completely focused on the shot. After he hit it he'd let his mind wander and the whole process would start over.

I think trading is the same. You can't go through life with clenched teeth and you can trade that way either. You have to find opporunities to relax to conserve your energy for the next "shot."

That's a very nice approach to focusing. The only problem is during the entire market hours, the trader has to be focused to look for setups, if not, he'd miss the opportunities and timing his entries properly. This is what makes trading difficult is that there is very little time to wander. It's why I stay focus only in the mornings (about 2-3 hrs). Else, I lose focus and start losing.

Here's a couple from Mohan:

1. I totally understand that consistency is more important than being right. Having the desire to be right is for amateurs and making money consistently is what the real professionals do. I am striving to be a real pro everyday by focusing on what is proven to really work, and which produces steady profits while protecting me if a I am wrong.

2. As a trader I establish a straight mental and neurological path to continuous, perfectly executed and managed trades. Each trade is an education towards perfecting the trading art, releasing tension and achieving youth and vigor.