Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Sign in to follow this  
brownsfan019

Poker and Trading - a Bad Beat Reminds Me of Why I Enjoy Trading So Much

I posted this in the premium area, but thought it could be useful to the general population...

Played in a local tournament tonight sponsored by some bars in the area. A very casual tourney.

Key hand for me:

In small blind raise to 3000 with JJ (blinds at 400/800). I always seem to get burned with JJ so I put a hefty raise in after 1 limper (big stack) and the big blind to act. Everyone called and 3 of us to the flop, which comes 456 rainbow. I lead out with a nice bet and the button comes over top of me. The board doesn't scare me outside of a set, but I push and after thinking and thinking, the button calls.

Right now the chip leader is going to be set after this hand. While the button was big stack, I was in a nice position at 2nd big stack so my all-in in essence put him all-in as there was not much left should he lose.

So he makes a huge call with 22 and a gut shot to the 3.

I feel good.

:rofl:

My pocket J's may actually hold up for me one time....

Turn is a blank.

Currently a 86% or so favorite to win.

River is a 3 which just happens to give the 22 a 2-6 straight.

:angry:

Talk about being pissed. And to make matters worse, the guy didn't say a word like - sorry, bad suck out, etc. etc. - just played it like nothing.

Yes, it was a casual tourney but at this point the ones left were playing seriously and to make a call for just about all your chips with 22 is rather ballsy considering:

1) I raised preflop pretty hefty. FIRST time I made a big preflop raise indicating some nice strength here. I actually expected everyone to fold since it was a larger than standard 3x BB raise.

2) I come over top of his raise after the flop, once again saying - I'm feeling pretty damn good. Get the hell out of my pot.

Bad beat, just thankful no huge money was actually at risk. Once again, good ole JJ failed me again. They look so pretty though. LOL

====================

This actually leads me to the correlation over to the trading side of things - I think I enjoy trading more than poker b/c there is no element of luck in trading. Either you are right or you are wrong. Maybe there's an occasional, random thing that happens to work out for you (exchange outage or something) but in the every day life as a trader, there is no luck. It's cut and dry - either you are right or you are wrong. You do not get rivered in the markets. You do not have some donkey calling a big raise with 22 and catching a gut shot straight on the river in the markets.

The markets are extremely fair day in and day out - they tell you sooner or later whether you are right or wrong. No grey area here - either there's money coming into your account or flowing out. That's it.

And that my friends is why I enjoy trading more than poker. Trading is like math in the sense that it's right all the time, just a matter of it you are right with it. In poker, the math is helpful, but luck does play a role (and sometimes pretty big). For me, that's a bitter pill to swallow as there's no reason for JJ to lose to 22 IMO with 1 card to come. IMO it just should not happen b/c I'm used to being in the markets where you learn fairly easily if you are right or wrong.

So if you have a rough day in the markets, just remember that you were simply wrong that one day. You did not get unlucky or rivered, you simply were not on the correct side that day. Everyone has losing days in the markets. Just part of the business.

On the flip side - when you are right, you will be paid accordingly and will not get a surprise river suck out and lose, as you can easily find in poker.

Ummm... who moved this?

It explicitly says that I reposted in the general pop area. And that's where I, the author, would like it.

If not, please delete this thread and this one as well.

I'll decide where I want my posts to be visible, thank you very much.

Hi bf,

Where was this moved from? Sorry Ive been away this week attending trade events. Thanks!

I don't recall exactly, but market discussion or futures is cool w/ me.

I'm curious who moved this initially and why...