Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

flowzen

Profit Guilt

Hi all,

I am a new trader who has been trading in the green for about a month now. I believe I have a solid understanding of this game's fundamentals, different views that people have on what function the markets provide. We are buying and selling fictional assets that have no inherent value except the psychological value people place in it, based on the corresponding psychological price levels we give importance to depending on the numbers that we interpret from the availability of fundamental resources to drive *hopefully growing demand. On one level, investors provide capital to finance ventures to accrue more resources(oil, gold, commodities in general)-which build infrastructure and allow for more specialization(through diverse specialized companies)towards the optimization of our resource gathering/efficiency. On another level, traders speculate and drive prices within certain "projection zones"-which may or may not have a fundamental basis as it is a PROJECTION on continued growth, or decline. Bubbles could not happen if this was not the case.

Now the industry itself: as I understand it, the industry does NOT have my best interests at heart. Brokerages make money off of commission and sell/use retail information they gather. Institutions take advantage of information edge, news driving and large capital to mow down retailers. High frequency traders try to scalp everyone...

This led me to adopt a psychology of "being a market sociopath". I had to accept the fact that for me to make money, someone out there was "losing money". I thought that most successful traders were "tricking" their morality in order to make money.

But this, as it turns out, is a path to loading yourself down with guilt over taking profit lol. Upon further reflection, I realized that anybody who enters the market is essentially a gambler. Once that money leaves their pocket and is in the market-it's no longer any individual's money. It is the markets money, and being made up of all our psychologies/fears/greeds-it will do what it does. I am merely an account operator who lends money to gamblers to play the game they love. I'm enjoying myself.

:P

"Once that money leaves their pocket and is in the market-it's no longer any individual's money. It is the markets money, and being made up of all our psychologies/fears/greeds-it will do what it does. I am merely an account operator who lends money to gamblers to play the game they love. I'm enjoying myself."

It's a great say. Tks.