Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Szymon

RE: Experience with Neoticker?

Hi Guys,

Has anyone of you traders out there had experience with Neoticker, I am considering trying it out. But I want to know your experiences with this software before contacting them.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Hi Guys,

Has anyone of you traders out there had experience with Neoticker, I am considering trying it out. But I want to know your experiences with this software before contacting them.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Hi Guys,

I have installed the demo version on my Vista machine and it just crashes.

Regards

Simon

Maybe this can help?

Basically says that you should run it in XP compatibility mode.

Hi Sparrow,

Thanks for the link. I already have uninstalled it and went back to Ensign Software this is the current one that I am using. The playback feature is a bit funny here, it works and then it doesn't. That is why I wanted to try Neoticker, mostly because of the playback feature.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Simon

That is why I wanted to try Neoticker, mostly because of the playback feature.
Have you tried Ninjatrader for playback? It is basically free for charting, simulation, playback; the actual trading is not free. The recent version 6.5 betas (8) should be more Vista friendly and more stable.

Have you tried Ninjatrader for playback? It is basically free for charting, simulation, playback; the actual trading is not free. The recent version 6.5 betas (8) should be more Vista friendly and more stable.

Hi thrunner,

Yes I have installed Ninjatrader used it and after 10 mins it crashed, and just kept on crashing. So I uninstalled it.

I did this two days ago.

So for now I will stick to ensign for the time being.

Thanks for your suggestion thrunner.

Regards

Simon

installed Ninjatrader used it and after 10 mins it crashed, and just kept on crashing. So I uninstalled it.
Sorry to hear that. I have no vested interest in NT, but here are something to try with Windows Vista and NT:

1. Uninstall or disable McAfee 2. disabling Vista's User Account Control http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4560&highlight=vista

Have been running Vista and NT 6 - 6.5.4, using IB as data/backend, on two different workstations successfully for many months

Install latest version : http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5227

I gave Neoticker a serious try for a full month. At the end of it, I was convinced it was not for me. The creators are Chinese, I think, and their understanding of trading appears to be as limited as their understanding of English. The program is designed in a very idiosyncratic way, and does not lend itself to just poking around, trying this and that, until you figure it out. Support is not non-existent, but it is very slow compared to other platforms, and not of very high quality when you do get it. Neoticker is not organized in a way that works for me---for example, I really applaud Tradestation's architecture of desktops and workspaces. Neoticker does let you associate charts, but the organization structure is very weak, compared to other platforms. Neoticker does have a feature that some people like, namely the ability to replay an entire day with all charts, time and sales and level II all working together. However, setting up this replay feature took an inordinate amount of time---on several occasions, I waited 45 minutes for the required charts to load. After a while, I realized that this feature just isn't worth the headache. Someone who likes Neoticker said that the learning curve is very steep, but if you persevere, the program has a wealth of options. That does appear to be true--there are lots of charting options, for example, that are not offered anywhere else. For example, in every charting package you can create daily and weekly charts, but only Neoticker allows you to create a chart where every bar represents 2 days or 3 days, or whatever you want. Not exactly sure why you'd need such a chart, but there it is if you want it. For my trial, I used eSignal, and it worked well, after I got the bugs worked out--connecting a charting platform to a data feed always takes a little work, but I heard many times that, while eSig works well with Neoticker, the other datafeed options they offer do not work anywhere near as well. Anyway, there's one person experience with Neoticker.

Edited by Tasuki
forgot an "s"

Thats pretty much how I view Neoticker also after having tried the demo.

Some incredible features that you will not find elsewhere but the whole program feels clunky and "old". I almost think its coded in visual basic or delphi, some stuff just takes forever to load. Building your own custom orderbook delta indicator or custom version of NYSE TICK would be interesting but I can't imagine how slow it would run.

Thats pretty much how I view Neoticker also after having tried the demo.

Some incredible features that you will not find elsewhere but the whole program feels clunky and "old". I almost think its coded in visual basic or delphi, some stuff just takes forever to load. Building your own custom orderbook delta indicator or custom version of NYSE TICK would be interesting but I can't imagine how slow it would run.

Hi Guys,

After downloading it and installing it, finally got it to work. I agree with the above two replies. I have uninstalled it and went back to Ensign for the time being, perhaps in the future I will consider looking at other charting programs.

Regards

Simon

I've been thinking about software alot lately and I guess it really comes down to that since everyone is really going to be trading their own style its probly not realistic to expect to have one platform that does everything. I know from reading Brett Steenbarger's stuff he uses Esignal for charts, Market Delta for delta stuff, Excel for statistical analysis, Trade Ideas for scanning stock patterns...While software is expensive bad trading is alot more expensive. The only real option to have everything you want is a computer science degree, a good charting/database developement environment and a few years of programming hours. Not very realistic for most.

Neoticker must have an incredible database implimentation to be able to do what it does. I'm not sure its realistic to expect ninja to have anything close to it anytime soon as far as custom index/custom tick is concerned. I could see at some point adding neoticker to the tool box and just use what its good at and other things for stuff its not.

I've only seen one guy on ET knocking off his own charting/trading software so far.

While NT is solid it lacks the features I'd really like to have multi timeframe/instrument indicators/charts. NeoTicker has all those things.

One thing I also hate is that if you pull up the indicators menu all the indicators which depend on live ticks will reset.

Apart form these short comings I love NT, it is more flexible programming wise than any other platform I know. Which might make it very difficult to develop indicators for non programmers.

Degrees mean nothing in geek world :D.

I guess I will have to be the lone dissenter here. Neoticker is the best charting platform I've ever used. Now I did not always feel that way. It was created by a trader for real traders. I never understood that, until my 3rd month of using it. When I first started using NT, I really found it to be a pain in the rear, however, once I got over the initial learning curve, I promised myself that I would never go back to Tradestation or any other platform.

Pros:

1) Download and save historical tick data that can be exported to SQL

2) Configure the charts and link them in any manner you wish.

3) Have as many charts in one window as you wish

4) The best stock scanner bar none. It's light years ahead of all of the other scanners put together.

5) Can easily program multiple time frame indicators. Basically you can create an RSI indicator on a 15 min chart that shows the RSI values of Weekly, Daily, 60 min, 30 min and 1 min, all as one indicator.

6) You can create Cumulative breadth and other market internal indicators

7) You can create your own custom breadth indicator. For example the current tick indicators provided by esignal show the cumulative movement of all the NYSE/NASD stocks. This may not be as precise for you. So you create a basket of your favorite market leaders, and track the breadth on those stocks.

8) Chain scanning. Not only can you create very custom and very specific scan, but the results of those scans can automatically feed another scan. So basically you can scan 5000 based on highest weekly volume. The results will then feed another scan that will look for RSI overbought/sold and those will feed another scan that looks for stocks only above $50 and that will further feed another scan that will look fresh 20 day hi/lo. etc. etc.

9) You create custom quote windows with multiple time frames indicators, alarms, flashing light etc.

10) Broker and data feed independent

11) Nice tick replay

12) Great for back testing multi-timeframe strategies

I've only been using it for 5 months and I don't think I have scratched anything more than the surface. It's the most open ended platform out there. Also, you can do automated trading, but I have not ventured into that world yet. I'm a bit afraid to. It was easy in breakstation (single timeframe strategies).

Cons:

1) Data, data, data. The one thing I loved about TS was their clean and fast data. Esignal is ok but too expensive. IQ has improved a lot but still has a ways to go. IB's data flat out sucks.

2) Learning curve is too steep

3) Documentation is very poor

4) Customer service is a bit lacking but the forum has some great people in it.

5) The one time fee is expensive due to the falling dollar.

6) Cannot integrate multiple data feeds.

7) Lacks a deep array of built in indicators.

8) Don't expect to place manual orders through it. That's a bit hard.

Even with all those cons, I think it's head an shoulders above the others and I've tried a lot of them. If you tried the demo, then you seen only 1/10 of 1% of the application. The demo sucks. I wish they would give people more of an opportunity to really try it.

The only thing I would say about NT is that you need to be somewhat tech savy. You can't be one of those "how do work a VCR" type of people. It's not a quick learn at all. If you are tech savy and have $1000 (if you buy thru Open Ecry) or $1500 (thru tickquest), then I would say take the plunge (blindfolded). You will absolutely not regret it 3 months from now, though you may curse me out for the first 2 months.

Having spent 2.5 years as a full time trading system developer in NeoTicker, now commercially writing Object Oriented IDL indicators in Delphi to create dll's that drive Neoticker indicator/systems, I would say to the serious developer/trader who knows the challenge of competing successfully in markets like the financial derivatives (es, russell, Nasdaq, dow) where algorithmic autotrading systems now constitute 50% of all trades, yes the NeoTicker learning curve is steep but it is climbed by private system designers and institutional traders who see the extraordinary capabilities of NeoTicker (like combining tick-driven symbols using multiple timeframe momentum bars on the same chart).

Precisely because it is not highly populated by novice traders doing simplistic development and requiring repetitive support, the Tickquest system engineers have time to respond to feature requests by sophisticated developers who are willing to climb steep learning curves to use tools that give traders the edge they need to profit long term in a trading world where 95%+ of all private trader's lose money. I reached impassable limitations in TradeStation and was kindly invited to explore NeoTicker by another TS developer who made the switch, and I've never regretted it. I just finished a 4000 line system that backtests with realistic 1 point slippage and an assumed steep $15 commissions in the S&P, showing a Sharpe ratio of 6.8, showing a max draw of $1500 in a 100 day backtest profiting $19787, or an annualized return of 88%. If you wish to further explore NeoTicker or secure custom development I am willing to help you break through. I can be reached at inquire at wildblue dot net. All the best success to you!

I just wanted to add that I am a long time user of Neoticker - been using it since 2005. I auto trade futures using esignal as my data feed and MB Trading as my broker. I am a single lot trader and mostly just use formula language - which makes things much easier to do in Neoticker than the scriping languages one can use. Very happy with NT so far and Lawrence Chan provides really valuable info on his daytradingbias website as well as in the forums.

NT still can be difficult to learn and I still have yet to script anything in java, vbs or anything else but it works and without alot of problems.

Support has been better in the past but still is decent. I purchased the program outright rather than pay a monthly lease fee. Also they have a very nice historical / walk forward testing environment in the form of a product called grid optimizer.

I started out with Systemwriter for DOS way back and recently opened an account with TS and plan to trade with Trade Station brokerage so I hope they have inproved a little since some of these 2008 posts. We'll see how that works.

Hope this is of value.

Ed