Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

ariel

Basis for Bill Williams Theory?

What is the basis for the Bill Williams theory I heard his indicators are based on the chaos theory, how do exactly these indicators work and more important his theory?

Note: Don’t read into the following that I’m saying his material is worthless or untradeable… but!

Re “What is the basis…?” Try taking the a and the s and the i out of word basis

Bill Williams co-opted the word chaos (and got a good piggyback on the ‘fractal’ word, too) because Mandelbrot was all in vogue at the time.

ie his indicators are no more a product of chaos theory than a thousand other algorithms out there.

The indicators attempt to measure supply and demand – what!?! where's the freakn chaos !?!

His 'theory' sorta reminds me of one dry vertebrae of VSA – no skin, no other bones, no meat, no guts, no brain, no blood – just one dry bone.

way too harsh...:roll eyes: hth

Note: Don’t read into the following that I’m saying his material is worthless or untradeable… but!

Re “What is the basis…?” Try taking the a and the s and the i out of word basis

Bill Williams co-opted the word chaos (and got a good piggyback on the ‘fractal’ word, too)

because Mandelbrot was all in vogue at the time.

ie his indicators are no more a product of chaos theory than a thousand other algorithms

out there.

The indicators attempt to measure supply and demand – what!?! where's the freakn chaos !?!

His 'theory' sorta reminds me of one dry vertebrae of VSA – no skin, no other bones, no meat,

no guts, no brain, no blood – just one dry bone.

way too harsh...:roll eyes: hth

I can trade Williams' AC with the addition of another indicator.

But I use the higher TF so I get yellow cards instead of red ones when I make an error.

ie - the market is more forgiving if you err in the higher TF.

I suggest people use what works for them - develop and "own' your own approach - or get hold of

someone else's strategy. Williams is not a bad place to start, but there are better.

Main thing is to start somewhere and develop focus and consistency.

Become a best-fan of your own approach.

where's the freakn chaos !?!

I know what you're getting at, however . . .

One might well ask "where's the chaos in the highly systematical approach of mechanical trend followers?"

And yet a chaotic event of the kind described by Mandlebrot is nothing more than an 'outlier' in statistical terms - precisely the type of event from which true trend followers seek to profit.

My point is that "chaotic" market structures (or non-structures) can be exploited through "non-chaotic" (ie systematic) trading approaches. As far as Bill Williams is concerned, I have no idea who he is or of what his approach consists . . .

BlueHorseshoe