Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

biegea

Custom Scalper Buy/Sell

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I thought I'd try to make a small contribution while I can. What I'm including here (if my upload goes as planned) is my current best effort at the TTM Scalper Buy/Sell -- the indicator that paints a white bar on the recent high or low, 3 bars after it happens.

In my analysis, 95%+ of the bars that get painted appear to be valid and accurate bars. Once in awhile, it's not the lowest or highest bar that is painted, but rather the one next to it -- I haven't been able to figure out why, but it's still close enough to be useful.

Additionally, about 85%+ of the bars which should be painted are. That means that as best I can tell, TTM's indicator will paint 10 white bar lows or highs for every 8.5 or so that my indicator paints.

If anyone can figure out how to tune this indicator to match TTM's exactly, please feel free. I'll also re-post if I ever figure it out.

Best Regards,

biegea

TTMSCALPERALERT.ELD

This on what timeframe chart you're using to get 95% and 85% accuracy? I had tried it (maybe coded differntly) but wasn't convinced enough to trade it.

Torero, it works on any timeframe. My approximate percentages were based on charts I compared it to in various TTM videos.

Dovetree, here's the code:

inputs: BarWidth(3); 

variables: UpTrend(false), LowPainted(false), HighPainted(false), ExtremeBar(0), 
	   TriggerBarLow(0), ExtremeBarHigh(0), 
	   TriggerBarHigh(0), ExtremeBarLow(0), counter(-1); 

// Compare the 9-period MA to the previous bar's value as the basis for determining 
// if we are in an uptrend or a downtrend at this moment. 
//  
// We will NOT check for the presence of a trend if we are 
// "waiting for a confirmation of a trigger (i.e. Extreme Bar <> 0)"  ?? 

//Downtrend -- Look to paint a low bar 
if (AverageFC(Close[3],9) < AverageFC(Close[4],9) and ExtremeBar=0)	
	or ((AverageFC(Close[3],9) = AverageFC(Close[4],9) and ExtremeBar=0) and (UpTrend=False))
	then begin 

UpTrend=False; 
	HighPainted=false; 
	if low[3] > low then LowPainted=false; 
end; 

//Uptrend -- Look to paint a high bar
if AverageFC(Close[3],9) > AverageFC(Close[4],9) and ExtremeBar=0
	or ((AverageFC(Close[3],9) = AverageFC(Close[4],9) and ExtremeBar=0) and (UpTrend=True))
	then begin 

UpTrend=True; 
	LowPainted=false; 
	if high[3] < high then HighPainted=false; 
end; 

//Check for triggers and paint the extreme bar on confirmation 
//Uptrend 

if UpTrend = True and HighPainted=false then begin 

if high[2] < high[3] and ExtremeBar=0 then begin 
		ExtremeBar = 3; 
		ExtremeBarHigh = high[3]; 
		TriggerBarLow = low[2]; 
	end; 

if high[1] > ExtremeBarHigh then begin 
		ExtremeBar = 0; 
		ExtremeBarHigh = 0; 
		TriggerBarLow = 0; 
		counter=-1; 
	end; 

if ExtremeBar <> 0 then	counter=counter+1; 

// Paint an "Extreme Bar" if it exists based on the two if blocks above 
	// OR if the earlier close was above the 8-EMA and the later close was 
	// below the 8-EMA) 

if (close[1] < TriggerBarLow and ExtremeBar <> 0)  
//			or ((Close[3] > XAverage(Close[3],8)) and (Close[1] < XAverage(Close[1],8)))
		then begin 

ExtremeBar = ExtremeBar + counter; 
		PlotPaintBar[ExtremeBar](High[ExtremeBar],Low[ExtremeBar],"ScalperSig",white); 
		SetPlotWidth[ExtremeBar](1,BarWidth); 
		SetPlotColor[ExtremeBar](1,white); 
	 	alert("Scalper Sell Detected!"); 
		HighPainted = true; 
		counter=-1; 
		ExtremeBar=0; 
	end; 
end; 

//Downtrend

if UpTrend = False and LowPainted=false then begin

if low[2] > low[3] and ExtremeBar=0 then begin
		ExtremeBar = 3;
		ExtremeBarLow = low[3];
		TriggerBarHigh = high[2];

if ExtremeBarLow > low[4] then ExtremeBar = 4;
	end;

if low[1] < ExtremeBarLow then begin
		ExtremeBar = 0;
		ExtremeBarLow = 0;
		TriggerBarHigh = 0;
		counter=-1;
	end;

if ExtremeBar <> 0 then	counter=counter+1;

if close[1] > TriggerBarHigh and ExtremeBar <> 0 then begin
		ExtremeBar = ExtremeBar + counter;
		PlotPaintBar[ExtremeBar](Low[ExtremeBar],High[ExtremeBar],"ScalperSig",white);
		SetPlotWidth[ExtremeBar](1,BarWidth);
		SetPlotColor[ExtremeBar](1,white);
	 	alert("Scalper Buy Detected!");
		LowPainted = true;
		counter=-1;
		ExtremeBar=0;
	end;

end;

Yessir (or yes ma'am). Paintbar study. Looking forward to any feedback or assistance anyone can provide. It would be exciting to get it 100% matched with TTM's.

Hi Biegea I don't believe your code is marking the paint bars correctly. TTm scalper paints a bar after 3 consecutive higher or lower closes and does not paint anyfurther bars until a revers signal is acquired.

I am new to easy language but have coded this in metastock below is the code.

The code for higher closes in the highlights Tab

BC:=C>Ref(C,-1) AND Ref(C,-1)>Ref(C,-2);

SC:=C<Ref(C,-1) AND Ref(C,-1)<Ref(C,-2);

X:=If(BC=1,1,If(SC=1,0,PREV));

Cross(X,0.5);

Here is the one for the lower closes:

BC:=C>Ref(C,-1) AND Ref(C,-1)>Ref(C,-2);

SC:=C<Ref(C,-1) AND Ref(C,-1)<Ref(C,-2);

X:=If(BC=1,1,If(SC=1,0,PREV));

Cross(0.5,X);

I have toruble coverting to EL so far

Unfortunately, the original TTM indicator does not paint bars in a correct way. It cheats. It paints bars in the past. I did not see this one, since I do not have tradestation and picture was not attached. I use Neoticker and things like painting bars in back are not allowed because in reality you will never see the chart like that real time. What looks great on a screenshot is impossible to trade. If you paint that bar which you should, the actual bar when the signal happens you will find out the indicator is useless.

This will save you a lot of valuable time and if you were considering buying the TTM original also money.

Guest cooter

I stand by my original comment, which was summarily deleted for some reason:

Another lagging indicator. It paints the past. Nothing special here.

Unfortunately, the original TTM indicator does not paint bars in a correct way. It cheats. It paints bars in the past. I did not see this one, since I do not have tradestation and picture was not attached. I use Neoticker and things like painting bars in back are not allowed because in reality you will never see the chart like that real time. What looks great on a screenshot is impossible to trade. If you paint that bar which you should, the actual bar when the signal happens you will find out the indicator is useless.

This will save you a lot of valuable time and if you were considering buying the TTM original also money.

True - it paints in the past, but TTM acknowledges this, and John Carter still considers it valuable -- it typically paints 2-3 bars after the fact but recognizes what some would argue is a conditional change in the state of the market.

Thanks to all who have commented on this thread. It appears a more recent submission may be exactly the same as JC's. I have not validated it yet but at least one other forum meber has and says it's great.

Good luck to all,

biegea

I have another version of the TTM scalper attached. It does paint in the past. Having read carters book this is the way it is suppose to work. You get the scalper alert then enter the market. This happens on the second bar. It seems to work well on trends, but seeing you don't know a trend is about to happen it is only a indicator. If anyone can code the second bar to paint then it will be easier visually.

SCALPER.ELD