Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

I am an EasyLanguage Newb, but have been trading FX for some time manually. I know what I want from my EasyLanguage Strategy, and have actually written one that works the way I want with a single variable. For instance, I procured 83 candlestick formations that come in function and indicator form. I have my strategy going long in a bullish trend, and short in a bearish one. I have a breakeven stop placed and a profit target. It behaves exactly like I want it to. I want to add another point of confluence to be present to initiate a trade. I procured another piece of code that creates a Darvas Box around strong areas of support and resistance and has several outputs to include the top and bottom levels of the box.

At this time, I just have the code written to buy or sell when the candle pattern forms (condition1 = CandlestickFormation). I want the ability to utilize the support or resistance area to initiate the trade when the pattern forms and either touches or breaks the support or resistance area. How do I do this in EasyLanguage speak? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Is the S/R value coming from the same chart that your candle patterns are on? If so, you need to either include the indicator code for your DBox in the strategy.. or use a call function if possible.

If its on another timeframe you'll need to use ADE - free on the TS forums. If its on another chart type.. that's more difficult, though i think there are some commercial solutions out there.

I have the S/R code in indicator and function form.

Here is the code I currently have in my strategy without using the S/R levels, this is candlestick pattern only:

input: Body(5), TrendPrice(Open), TrendFilter(Highest(open,5)), Stp( 80), Tgt( 150), FloorAmt ( 85), TrlgStp ( 73), TypOfStp ( 2);

Condition1 = csbearengulf(body,trendprice,trendfilter) ;

{ STEP 2 OF 2: Replace "Exit Name" (leaving the quotes) with a short name for the

exit. The exit name will appear on the chart above/below the trade arrows and in

the trade by trade performance report. }

if Condition1 then begin

Sellshort next bar at market ;

End ;

Setprofittarget( Tgt );

Switch ( TypOfStp )

Begin

Case 1:

Setstoploss( Stp );

Case 2:

Setbreakeven ( FloorAmt );

Case 3:

Setdollartrailing ( TrlgStp );

end;

The function I want to use looks like this:

inputs: BoxTop(high), BoxBase(low), BoxBuy(high), BoxSell(low), BoxBars(3), BoxBuffer(0),

TrendPrice(close), TrendFilter(highest(close,20)), TopAlert("Top"), BaseAlert("Base"),

BoxATR(20), BoxMax(2), BoxMin(.5), LongBoxColor(yellow), TextColor(white), Line(1), TxtOnOff(1),

EODBox(1), CurrentBoxOnly(0),DecPlaces(2);

vars: ldb(0), btd(0), btt(0), btp(0), bbp(0), app(0), ratio(0), count(0), boxrange(0), onceonly(0), onceonly2(0);

app=GetAppInfo(aiApplicationType);

ldb=tti_longdarvasbox(BoxTop, BoxBase, BoxBuy, BoxSell, BoxBars, BoxBuffer, TrendPrice, TrendFilter,

BoxATR, BoxMax, BoxMin, EODBox, btd, btt, btp, bbp);

at the end of the above code, the output btt and btb are the actual top and bottom of the Darvas box (this is the indicator version). I want the strategy to enter a trade when a certain bar in the pattern makes contact with the btt/btb line. The other issue is that the candle that makes contact with the line may not necessarily be the last bar in the pattern. In a shooting or morning star, it is the 2nd of three candles that would hypothetically make contact with that line, so how do I distinguish that in my strategy?

Ok. I'm no expert. I know in strategy you can either buy next bar at market or buy this bar limit... possibly buy next bar limit. So can you assign the btt value as the limit price by declaring its value a variable, use the var for the limit price?

One issue is with candles, it may form the candle pattern intrabar, but not close that way. So you may have a trade off between certainty of candle pattern (per your rules) and price you're able to enter on.

I'll work on this some more.. I've seen some other threads on here where some folks appeared to know what they are doing. Also, post on the TS forums, the TS staff is often helpful. If you get stumped, i know a pro who can do this for you. Costs a little.

Hi Deej,

In very simple form your code needs to include the Darvas Box code, and would then look something very roughly like this:

If condition1 then
Buy next bar at btt {btb} stop;

And in the case of a shooting star, defined as condition2, then like this:

If condition2 and H[1]>=btt[1] and btt=btt[1] then
Buy next bar at btt stop;

Hope that helps, and if you have any questions I'll check back tomorrow.

Kind regards,

BlueHorseshoe

Here's the working code...

Vars:

ldb (0),

btd (0), //date of the bar that started the box

btp (0), //top of box value

btt (0), //time of bar that box started

bbp (0); //box base

input:

Body(2),

TrendPrice1(Open),

TrendFilter1(Lowest(open,5)),

Stp( 80),

Tgt( 150),

FloorAmt ( 85),

TrlgStp ( 73),

TypOfStp ( 2),

BoxTop(high),

BoxBase(low),

BoxBuy(high),

BoxSell(low),

BoxBars(3),

BoxBuffer(0),

TrendPrice(close),

TrendFilter(highest(close,20)),

BoxATR(20),

BoxMax(2),

BoxMin(.5),

EODBox(1) ;

Condition1 = csbullengulf(body,trendprice1,trendfilter1) ;

ldb = tti_longdarvasbox(BoxTop, BoxBase, BoxBuy, BoxSell, BoxBars, BoxBuffer, TrendPrice, TrendFilter,

BoxATR, BoxMax, BoxMin, EODBox, btd, btt, btp, bbp);

{ STEP 2 OF 2: Replace "Exit Name" (leaving the quotes) with a short name for the

exit. The exit name will appear on the chart above/below the trade arrows and in

the trade by trade performance report. }

if Condition1 and High[1] >= btp then begin

Buy next bar at market ;

End ;

Setprofittarget( Tgt );

Switch ( TypOfStp )

Begin

Case 1:

Setstoploss( Stp );

Case 2:

Setbreakeven ( FloorAmt );

Case 3:

Setdollartrailing ( TrlgStp );

end;

print( " Date=", Date:0:0, " Time=", Time:4:0, " MktPos=", MarketPosition:0:0,

" Condition1=", Condition1, " ldb=", ldb:0:2, " btt=", btt:0:2, " btp=", btp:0:2 ) ;