Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

shooly76

Best Instrument for 30 Min Chart?

what is the best instrument for a 30 min chart...as a trend follower?

I like to start watching about an hour before open (ex.. ES)..is this a good indication of where the price is heading for the day? or should I wait until after market open?

never traded 30 min chart..only shorter time frames and tick charts..but Im thinking I will have much less 'noise' trading a 30 min chart. of course this means setting a larger stop.. ie.. more risk..but potentially a larger profit

what is the best instrument for a 30 min chart...as a trend follower?

I like to start watching about an hour before open (ex.. ES)..is this a good indication of where the price is heading for the day? or should I wait until after market open?

never traded 30 min chart..only shorter time frames and tick charts..but Im thinking I will have much less 'noise' trading a 30 min chart. of course this means setting a larger stop.. ie.. more risk..but potentially a larger profit

Since you're been studying for four years and fine-tuning your system for 3 months, you really ought to elaborate on what you're doing and what you want to accomplish in order to get anything but an answer that is so general as to be of little use to you.

thanks..just looking at different approaches to make sure my current system is a good one.. or..if I need to change it a bit. the system I was (am) using is a trend following system..but a much shorter time frame (233 and 610 tick chart). but I find myself getting stopped out a lot lately (live acct)..and figured I may need to step back and make some minor changes.

I use MACD and momentum, BBs, and a 14 period EMA on top of the BBs.. and ATR stop dots (red and blue) these keep me in a trade, and also help to signal long or short. when all of this is in agreement, I enter. I mean I was making good trades on my sim acct, but now Im struggling. but I also know that I can have 10+ losers in a row..evn w a good system..and still be profitable. its the large winners I seem to miss out on lately.

I think my main problem is exiting a trade...I will stay in for too long..then the market goes against me.

I have included a pic of what good trade is for me (sim)..but I just cant seem to get these since I have gone live..I think it has to do w my emotions and anxiety...I get too anxious to make profits..then I end up choosing bad set-ups..but I dont know..I think it also has to do w me missing good set ups//then going for something after the good set up has already happened.

5aa711cf6cabb_TF03-13(233Tick)1_22_2013.thumb.jpg.65cbbe5ae1ae30aed6eac4f4702f9e22.jpg

Well, I trade price only, so I'm not in a position to advise. I will suggest that you trade what you can watch. If you're in front of your computer throughout your trading session, a 30m interval will drive you crazy, and you'll end up taking lots of bad trades out of boredom. But if you can't be in front of your computer, 30m may be the best you can do. Or even 60m.