Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Larry1234

S&P 500 and Dow Jones - Mar Expectation

Hello everyone,

I have started this thread to talk about regarding the markets (basically S&P 500 and Dow Jones Index) movements in the month of March. What do you think where will it move northwards or southwards ?

In my opinion, since U.S. stock futures are higher and pushing the S&P 500 up to make a fresh challenge on its all-time highest close and for the Dow Jones to continue its record run. I see the market to move in northwards in march.

Do you ???

After hitting new highs DOW and S&P i believe there is about time for correction and profit taking, and the situation in Europe is a good reason for that after the Cyoprus bailout. I have a price target for S&P at 1505 for the expected March corection.

Its only 1 week left in the month of March, S&P 500 is trading at 1556.89, so I think this week again it will move towards northwards and able to sustain at 1600 before April starts.

Talking about Dow Jones, its trading at 14512 (22nd Mar close) so I think it will hit 15K in this month. So I am bullish on both of this for this month. :anyone:

Its only 1 week left in the month of March, S&P 500 is trading at 1556.89, so I think this week again it will move towards northwards and able to sustain at 1600 before April starts.

Talking about Dow Jones, its trading at 14512 (22nd Mar close) so I think it will hit 15K in this month. So I am bullish on both of this for this month. :anyone:

I would continue to be long biased at least and until I had a weekly close below the low of a prior week.

Despite some not-so-hot economic news, we got a new all-time high in the S&P 500. The S&P 500 is now up 10.03% for 2013. The 200dma is 1436, which means that the current price is 9% above where it has traded on average over the past 200 days.

Always interesting to read the retail opinion on the markets. What stands out is the lack of organization, and focus.

Commercial participants look at it a bit differently

There are three basic orientations, Seasonal, Intraday and Event Driven News.

Each day prior to the RTH open I go through a standardized routine evaluating these data sets.

Seasonal is based on institutional targets (I call them time based pivots). Institutional participants get paid based on whether they hit or exceed these targets AND on the profit or losses accumulated as they manage inventories.

Intraday is based on the tendency of commercial participants to A) look for liquidity and B) to try to squeeze one side or the other when there is an obvious imbalance.

News driven events occur regularly and are used as the rationale for marking markets up or down in order to buy (at a discount to value) or to sell (at a premium). That cycle is replayed over various time periods (related to the time based pivots) from intraday to weekly, and from weekly to quarterly, and finally from quarterly to yearly (close) and on to the start of the new year. The current cycle is based on the quarterly time period and focuses on the Euro/Cypriot bank situation and domestically on the effects of sequestration and (soon) tax season.

Based on this orientation there are three types of opportunities, each with its own time frame and each with differing profit (and loss) possibilities.

Constrained by time (I have to get ready for the Globex open) I have to stop here

Good luck folks

Edited by steve46

When we talk about the Even Driven Strategy, i feel its not helpful for a trader because many times I have seen that the event (news) is negative for the market, but still market moves upwards and vice versa.

How do you use this strategy to make trading decisions ?

Events provide one (1) data point among several that we evaluate. Accurate evaluation of the potential impact of the event is the key point....for the retail trader then, it becomes a matter of first asking yourself "do I have sufficient experience with events (reports, earnings, etc) to use this in my decision making process"? If the answer is no...you have in effect simplified your process....you simply exit trades prior to the event. If on the other hand you have sufficient experience or access to someone who DOES have that experience, you incorporate that into your decision process. I am holding a position currently so I have to stop there, but I will go a bit further as soon as I have some time...

Thanks for your question...I think its a very good one to resolve and I will try to add some value to that issue later today.

Best Regards

Steve

Okay so some of this will depend on whether you (the reader) can connect the dots. First here is a quote (not good form to quote oneself but time is at a premium for me so...)

"Germany opened up and London followed suit...several reports (pertaining to the Euro) and the results were mixed. From a value standpoint, during the Globex price stayed above previous value area low, suggesting that participants continue see value higher up the ladder. This makes sense because the particpants we are talking about during the overnight session are Asia and Europe and because their own markets are doing poorly they are motivated to look to the US market for opportunity....as long as the news is not significantly negative, clearly they (European institutional participants) will want to mark the market up...."

The way to handle events (if you have limited experience) is to know that A) in a market dominated by professionals, there are going to be others who have a good idea of how a pending report will play out.....and B) because they have a good idea of what is going to transpire they are likely to get on board prior to the event.....and by prior I mean hours in advance of the report or event.....So what do you do, well one thing that you can do is to look back to the European open to see how they factor in the impact of reports (like today's Factory Orders report released at 7am PST)....

and finally, we have to understand "context"....and that is the main point of my quote....in an environment where everyone is looking for a way to make money, and Europe is in a recession, unless the "news" is very bad....participants are likely (as has been pointed out) to ignore even mildly unfavorable news and buy the market....and once again today, that is what happened...

From my point of view it is about putting the pieces together and getting your thought process aligned with those who have the horsepower to move the market...if you understand how those folks think about events, then, when they decide to put money to work, you can recognize the opportunity and "go with" it.

Hope that helps

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By AdrianaLowe
      The theme over this last trading week has been one of remarkable resilience. After breaking down from key resistance levels, it seemed that a period of consolidation would follow. But, globally, markets instead rallied with conviction to retest their highs.
      I have been sceptical about the sustainability of the rally this year. But one of the most fundamental axioms of surviving the markets is to trade what you see, not what you believe. And what I am seeing is markets that seem to want to push higher across the board, with individual stocks holding up well even when faced with bearish news.
      S&P 500

(credit: chart from Sigma by Hydra X)
      The S&P closed the week strongly at 2,822.48, up 0.5% on high volume, and on the back of its biggest weekly gain since November 2018. US markets seem insistent on forging a path higher despite the overhang of earnings, macro economy news, North Korea, and ongoing China trade talks. I still wait for price to break and close clear of the congestion zone around 2,800 before entering longs, but this looks increasingly like a environment where the only rational positions to take are either to be flat or long.
      MICROSOFT

Gains this week were led by tech, with the sector surging 4.9%, and also becoming the best performing sector of 2019. I find MSFT interesting, having completed a bullish inverse head and shoulders pattern, rallying in a tight rising channel, and strongly testing resistance (and also its all-time highs) on high volume. But a spinning top candlestick in the midst of overhead resistance, and a bearish stochastic crossover which in overbought territory could translate into a pullback, which could provide interesting entries for longs.
      TESLA

A good litmus test for market sentiment is how stocks behave on news. Tesla has held on to $275 support despite its Model Y unveiling event underwhelming analysts; BAML, CFRA Research and Canaccord Genuity all issued cautionary notes. If it gets there, $260 looks to be strong support for a countertrend rally.

BOEING

Boeing continued to suffer the aftermath of the latest tragedy, ultimately having to suspend its entire fleet of 737 MAX planes when the FAA finally followed the lead of global aviation authorities in grounding the plane. Deliveries of the 737 MAX have also been paused. The beleaguered company faces an indeterminate outcome from investigations, bills from airlines affected by the grounding of the plane, as well as potential suits from the families of victims. On Thursday, the US Air Force joined the party. It launched a blistering attack on Boeing, saying that the company has a ‘severe situation’ after flawed inspections of their KC-46 air refuelling tanker aircraft, and questioning the company’s ‘culture of discipline for safety’. [https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/14/politics/air-force-boeing-refueling-plane/index.html] Despite all this, the stock has proven remarkably well supported at $370, repeatedly rallying from those levels on high volume.
      FACEBOOK

No company has had a worse week than FB, even within the context of its bad year. The week started with a proposal by Senator Elizabeth Warren to break up FB, was followed by a network outage affecting its Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram services, and then announcements of a widening federal criminal probe into its data sharing practices. Two key executives, Chris Cox and Chris Daniels also announced their departures from the company. A nadir was reached when its Facebook application was used to livestream the hate-driven massacre of 49 people in New Zealand.
      Technically, the stock has broken below the bottom of its ascending channel, and key overhead resistance in the $170-173 region looks daunting. There is also a huge gap from Feb 2019 waiting to be closed.
      Yet in spite of the weak technical picture and the deluge of negative news, FB closed just 2.13% down for the week, and ended the trading session on Friday well above the lows of the day, forming a bullish hammer. While I have been waiting for a clear break in one direction or the other for a while, as rising channel met overhead resistance, I choose to stay as interested spectators for now.

EUR/USD

Finally, last week I noted the technical breakdown of key support levels in the EURUSD, in conjunction with fundamentally bearish news in the form of Draghi’s dovish speech. However, I was keen to stay on the sidelines, given past experience of how crowded trades tend to turn out. EURUSD didn’t disappoint, as it promptly rose in a stop-hunting rally, which would have trapped any short entries in a very uncomfortable position.

• By trading4life
      Hello, My name is trading4life.
      I just joined this forum.
  • Topics

• $AIZ Assurant stock nice breakout, from Stocks To Watch , see https://stockconsultant.com/?AIZ  
    • Date: 28th March 2024. The US Dollar Strengthens As Economists Believe The ECB Will Struggle To “Hold”. Early this morning, the Fed Governor advised “there is no rush to cut rates” and “the data within the upcoming months” will be vital. The US Dollar Index rises to a 1-month high. The value of the USD will largely be based on today’s data on economic growth, consumer sentiment and pending home sales. Dollar and index traders are closely monitoring tomorrow’s Core PCE Price Index which analysts expect will read 0.3%. A higher inflation reading can potentially pressure stocks and support the Dollar. Strong declines in NVIDIA and Netflix stocks pressured the NASDAQ on Wednesday. Though, buyers entered late in the session to boost the overall price. EURUSD The latest comments from members of the Federal Reserve are supporting the US Dollar. The forward guidance between members of the Federal Reserve is mainly not aligned. The Chairman advises the Fed does not need much more proof for the regulator to feel comfortable reducing rates. Whereas the Fed Governor, Mr Waller, advises there is no rush, and he wants to see a few months of data before determining the next move. Therefore, the upcoming inflation and employment data will remain vital and could even push back rate hikes further. According to economists, the Federal Reserve will cut the interest rate on 3 occasions this year, but the timing of the first cut is less certain and may change depending on upcoming data. A positive factor for traders is that EURUSD exchange is not witnessing conflicting currencies. The US Dollar is trading 0.12% higher while the Euro is declining against most currencies. The Euro is trading 0.06% lower against the Pound and the Canadian Dollar and 0.16% lower against the Japanese Yen. Yesterday, the head of the Bank of Italy, Mr Cipollone, said that the authorities were confident that inflation would return to the target of 2.0% by mid–2025. He also supports the lower of interest rate and will use this as a basis for adjusting monetary policy. The Euro is generally under pressure as investors believe the European Central Bank will struggle to avoid cuts if the Fed decide to delay their adjustments. The US Dollar will be influenced by four major economic data releases. The US Final GDP, Weekly Unemployment Claims, Pending Home Sales and Consumer Sentiment Index. If these read higher than expectations with the weekly unemployment claims dropping, the US Dollar is likely to witness further support. However, investors should note the main release will be tomorrow’s Core PCE Price Index. Traders are expecting no major news for Europe and volatility levels may fall tomorrow as European markets are closed for Easter. Technical analysis currently points towards a continued downward trend. The price is trading below the neutral on the RSI and below the 75-Bar EMA. However, investors should note this will also be dependent on upcoming US data. USA100 The price of the USA100 was under pressure throughout the whole US session but was saved by an increased volume of buyers late in the session. However, a positive point is the components held onto their value. Even though the index fell in value, only 28% of the components declined. Investors will now turn their attention towards tomorrow’s PCE Price Index and the upcoming earnings season which will start in mid-April. The price is now trading slightly above the Moving Averages but slightly below the 50.00 on the RSI. Therefore, technical analysis remains at the “neutral” level and continues to indicate a larger price range. If today’s economic data is positive the stock market can witness confidence and support as this continues to indicate a soft landing. Though, if the data is too strong, it could also trigger a hawkish Fed which is known to be negative for the USA100. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Michalis Efthymiou Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • $IBKR Interactive Brokers stock narrow range breakout watch above 111.16 , see https://stockconsultant.com/?IBKR
    • $ISRG Intuitive Surgical stock narrow range breakout watch above 403.07 , see https://stockconsultant.com/?ISRG
    • $JETS ETF top of range breakout watch above 20.61 , see https://stockconsultant.com/?JETS

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.