Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

%TREND Calculations

%TREND: Absolute value of (CLOSE - OPEN) / RANGE

This calculation tells us whether or not the trading day was a trend day or nontrend day. It the close was at the upper or lower range, we will get %TREND reading close to 100%. If market direction was relatively unchanged and the markets closed near the open, we will get a %TREND reading closer to 0%. A high %TREND informs us of market imbalance. The markets usually take breather and will consolidate after a high %TREND day.

Therefore, the %TREND helps us anticipate what type of day we are likely to have.

ok Soul thats great ¡¡ I asume range is high - low ?.... do you have some archive of this in excell something historical ? this makes great sense its like squeeze, (contraction/expansion) from day to day concept type... thanks Soul again ¡¡ cheers Walter.

Guest cooter

Does RANGE = ATR (average true range) in this equation? Is there a Tradestation indicator for this?

The short answer is no.

Range = High - Low

Having said that, one could try to substitute range with true range. Soul said he uses Value Area High and Value Area Low also. So I am thinking he gets two sets of numbers: the traditional %trend and the Value Area % trend.

If that is correct, then I would gues one could get a True Range % trend.

***edit: Just wanted to add, that the tool is measuring market facilitation. That is, how effectively price moved thru the period. Or in a word, trend. Thus True Range may not be appropriate for the calculation. However, I could be wrong.

Range is the high minus the low. I personally just use the %TREND. With value area, I simply watch whether the value area is overlapping or not. Walterw, can you pm me your email... I can send you a simple spreadsheat that I use. It has data going back to May of 2006.

Guest cooter

Can you give us a visual representation of what you are talking about then?

Thxs.

Range is the high minus the low. I personally just use the %TREND. With value area, I simply watch whether the value area is overlapping or not. Walterw, can you pm me your email... I can send you a simple spreadsheat that I use. It has data going back to May of 2006.

Yes. I was thinking about it and the range of the output is 0-1 and it is possible to open up and close outside of the Value Area.

Mark Fisher's Pivot Range also can be used in this same way. It often narrows prior to volatility breakouts.

Guest cooter

Thanks for this WalterW.

I get a "Attempt to divide by zero" error when I try to run this in TS 8.2.

Any suggestions on how to fix it and get a working copy?

Thanks for this WalterW.

I get a "Attempt to divide by zero" error when I try to run this in TS 8.2.

Any suggestions on how to fix it and get a working copy?

It needs to be on a daily chart.

Walterw

Thanks for the indicator, I slightly modified the code just for easier reading

value3= (value2 / value1)*100;

Cheers

Blu-Ray

It needs to be on a daily chart.

Apologies Cooter

I got the same message as you and thought it only worked on a daily chart, however, after opening a new chart it does work on intraday as well.

Blu-Ray

Guest cooter

No problem, Blu-ray.

Still doesn't run on TS 8.2 - either daily or intraday charts?

Anything I can do to make it run?