Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Gekko78

Would You Share?

So I wanted to pose a question to the forum and get some feedback.

Now to start off we all no there is no such thing as the "Holy Grail" in trading unless you posses a Delorean and your flux capacitor is fluxing.

Nothing is 100% , but let us suppose for a second that you discovered a trading method that proved to be 90% accurate over the past say 2-3 years. You have back tested , forward tested , traded it on a live account and have done quite well for yourself. The method does not require HUGE risk taking.....a simple S/L strategy of no more than 10 ticks. It does require manual action , not a trading robot. ( I am sure one could be created but for the purposes of this question there is not one)

If you possessed such a strategy , would you share it with others? Now the catch is if you decide to share it with even 1 person , it will start to die ver quickly and no longer . Seeing as how people say if everyone finds out about a winning system and starts to use it , it will no longer work.

Would you share it with anyone seeing as how it will eventually cease to work?

Or would you keep it to yourself ?

Now many I have asked would say "well I would make money until I had what I needed then share it" If that is your answer then How much is enough? Would you pick and arbitrary number and once you hit ...stop? Most people have a number but once they reach it the number increases and so on and so on.

The 2 reasons why the "get what I need then stop" may not work:

1) humans are greedy by nature , when we have what we want , we tend to want more.Not all but most.

2) the number you you need now will more than likely change over time..( remember when you were a teenager and $35,000 a year was awesome and you would be independently wealthy if you made that much)

No Gekko78 i would not share my trading method, and i believe most of the traders will do the same. That's why i am laughing every time i see an advertisement which promises to make you rich. I also believe that there is no a profitable method that can constantly give you the same returns markets are changing every time so all the trading rules need to be adjusted.

No Gekko78 i would not share my trading method, and i believe most of the traders will do the same. That's why i am laughing every time i see an advertisement which promises to make you rich. I also believe that there is no a profitable method that can constantly give you the same returns markets are changing every time so all the trading rules need to be adjusted.

I agree that most people would not share....I have heard various answers to this question every time I ask it.

As far as a method that is not consistently profitable over time I would have to disagree...Now "certain" methods would perhaps need to evolve but others are constant....look at support and resistance trading....that has been around since TA has been around and it continues to work to this day . No it is not 100% but someone with good MM could arguably just trade that and earn a profit over time.

Yes marketers do quite well with their systems since the prey on the very "greed" I mentioned in the question. People want everything but do not want to do anything to get it......they want a "robot" that can do it for them.

The thing that makes me laugh the most is how everyone wants a robot to trade for them yet they already posses one that is far superior than any algo known to man as of today.....The human brain.....if they took as much time to train their own mind as they did searching for a magic algo ....they would probably be winning.

Funny I just received this in my email a few hours ago ......since we were talking about marketers I thought I would share.......

So this guy tries to make himself look good by telling you how NOT to get scammed ......he gives you instructions on how to avoid it and CLEARLY tells you that most systems that are sold fail EXCEPT for the one he is peddling...........Made me laugh

Hey all systems suck except for this one!!!!

It is always the same ........LIMITED SUPPLY !! , GET IT BEFORE WE SHUT THE DOORS!! Ok We will open the doors again ONE LAST TIME!!

I took out all the websites as I do not want to appear like I am selling anything :)

"Trader Loses His Account In January... And How You Can Prevent It Happening To You"

I want to start with a bit of a serious warning today. I got an email from a subscriber to tell me that he had lost over $4,500 in January trading a system he recently bought.

It's bad enough to get an email like that but I can promise you I get many just like it. I have long thought that one of the main reasons people lose at trading is because they get duped into buying the wrong thing to begin with.

It's a sad but a true part of trading that the majority of systems DO NOT WORK. The marketing is good, the results look real, and the people look real... well, let me tell you, the majority are not.

Please be extra careful when choosing the system you want to trade. Here are a few tips that can save you hours of frustration trying to make something work that never did to begin with:

5 Points That Could Save Your Skin

1. Buy from a reputable source. Check the company or person has been around for a bit.

2. Insist on proof that the system works. Although you can cherry pick trades, you at least want to see some live trades. Ask if there are any statements you can look at. This is all stuff your mother would call common sense.

3. Ask to see proof that someone else has successfully traded it. For all you know, no one else can trade the system but the guy who invented it.

4. Check you can get a refund if you are not happy. Make sure there's no condition to the refund like you have to make a gazillion trades first.

5. Make sure you can get support for what you just bought. Nothing bugs me more than when you have to wait days in between replies to emails, and when you do get a reply, it seems to make no sense. Like the person on the other side just couldn't be bothered to read your email properly.

Don't lose because you don't

want to ask the hard questions.

As I write, I must have about 10 new Forex systems all being pitched in my inbox... I wouldn't touch any of them. All of them look convincing until you run them through the 5 points I just mentioned.

The Only thing I Am Recommending Right Now

There is only one Forex method on the market right now that meets all the 5 points above and more. That's the system right here:

One of his students has made 75.01% since the beginning of January, in some of the most difficult conditions of recent times. If Thomas B. compounds that over 10 month he would turn $1,000 into $269,404.78.

Month 1 - 1,000.00 X 75% = $1,750.10

Month 2 - 1,750.10 X 75% = $3,062.68

Month 3 - 3,062.68 X 75% = $5,359.68

Month 4 - 5,359.68 X 75% = $9,379.44

Month 5 - 9,379.44 X 75% = $16,414.02

Month 6 - 16,414.02 X 75% = $28,724.54

Month 7 - 28,724.54 X 75% = $50,267.95

Month 8 - 50,267.95 X 75% = $87,968.91

Month 9 - 87,968.91 X 75% = $153,945.59

Month 10-153,945.59 X 75% = $269,404.78

If you want to see what other people are making with the Rapid Results Methods, then you can see their results here:

This is important so please listen carefully.

Just over a month ago, the xxxxxxxxxxxx Method went on sale. It sold out in record time and then the doors were shut tight.

xxxxxxxx then decided to hold a fun trading completion to demonstrate just how easy it was to build lasting wealth with his system.

The competition was only for the people who were lucky enough to get a copy when it was released. The results floored everyone and you can see those results here:

When you look at those results, remember that no one had seen the system before... and most were beginners? Now compare those results to your own. Even if you are doing well, you have to seriously look at this way of trading.

- It's fast and easy to learn

- You can trade while you still have a full-time job

- It meets all the 5 point checklist above and then some.

And here's the part I like the best, but isn't often spoken about. The supportxxxxxxand his team give are simply the best in the industry. He has had 24/7 online live chat support with himself and other professional traders instantly available to answer any question. He has basically gone over the top to make sure you get the very best service and the assurance that you are in safe hands.

# He has traded his system live in front of hundreds of people

# He has had over 1000 people grill him live on his way of trading in his capacity webinar

# He helps over 8000 people on Facebook nearly every day

# He has given some of his systems away to help those that are struggling and demonstrated how to profit from them

# He was the first person to articulate and explain the three phases of trading. This has probably helped more traders understand how to be successful than anything else out there

# He is one of the most respected names n Forex and also one of the best educators

# He has shared some of the top secret content from his elite member's area

# He stands by his product. He never walks away from anyone and lives by the motto "no one gets left behind".

# More people have been successful using The Rapid Results Method than any other method out there

Here's what I want you to do....

Go to his website and grab everything you can before it's taken down tomorrow. Really listen to what he has to say because tomorrow at 9 am EST, he will allow a few more lucky people to get their hands on the Method - probably for the last time. Do it now.

P.S. If you made a comment on his website, you can check to see if you won one of the hardest to get trading methods in Forex here:

P.P.S. Remember, this is the only proven method in Forex right now. Don't lose your account to fancy marketing, go and check the evidence here:

... and get some feedback....

I wouldn't rule out share, but as 4EverMaAT so succinctly put it

It is difficult to share a method or strategy with someone if it requires a unique point of view.

… of course the large majority of Golden C’s among us would say if it has / requires a unique point of view it’s obviously dysfunctional and won’t stand the test of time

… most of them don’t realize they actually implement from a unique point of view while thinking they don’t ! They still believe they can transmit implicit…

No... I'd take it to the grave. Why deprive everyone of the adventure of discovery? Most folks don't have enough to do during the day anyway... let em figure it out.

I would consider sharing with family, but with such a system why would I want to take the trouble to teach it... just buy them whatever they need/want... I'm swimming in cash.

Yep sure would. I would share it for free if I liked that person. Charge for it? What for? I would only charge someone if I didn't have the time. If I didn't like you I would just refuse to give you any information. How does sharing it erode or reduce the effectiveness of my system? It doesn't. The markets I trade are so liquid that it would be impossible for anyone to influence it like what is suggested.

It is really easy for someone to think that they wouldn't share it because they have struggled. Its understandable. That feeling wears off once people become successful but it takes time.

Trouble with that is there were quite a few people who i did like who i don't like now.Luckily i didn't know jackshit about markets then so what i told them was useless at the very best and possibly worse than that...at uh..worst.

And these days i tend to find that the people i like best are the ones i'm never likely to meet.

LOL yea

This message has to be 20 characters

So I wanted to pose a question to the forum and get some feedback.

Now to start off we all no there is no such thing as the "Holy Grail" in trading unless you posses a Delorean and your flux capacitor is fluxing.

Nothing is 100% , but let us suppose for a second that you discovered a trading method that proved to be 90% accurate over the past say 2-3 years. You have back tested , forward tested , traded it on a live account and have done quite well for yourself. The method does not require HUGE risk taking.....a simple S/L strategy of no more than 10 ticks. It does require manual action , not a trading robot. ( I am sure one could be created but for the purposes of this question there is not one)

If you possessed such a strategy , would you share it with others? Now the catch is if you decide to share it with even 1 person , it will start to die ver quickly and no longer . Seeing as how people say if everyone finds out about a winning system and starts to use it , it will no longer work.

Would you share it with anyone seeing as how it will eventually cease to work?

Or would you keep it to yourself ?

Now many I have asked would say "well I would make money until I had what I needed then share it" If that is your answer then How much is enough? Would you pick and arbitrary number and once you hit ...stop? Most people have a number but once they reach it the number increases and so on and so on.

The 2 reasons why the "get what I need then stop" may not work:

1) humans are greedy by nature , when we have what we want , we tend to want more.Not all but most.

2) the number you you need now will more than likely change over time..( remember when you were a teenager and $35,000 a year was awesome and you would be independently wealthy if you made that much)

All of these sorts of systems have a shelf life of the next market cycle.

This is why most traders are constantly wasting time back testing and going from one method to another trying to find something that they can execute in a live market as well as it performed in back testing.

Therefore, if I did have such a system that worked, here is what I'd do:

1. TRADE THE @*&%# OUT OF IT UNTIL IT STOPPED WORKING.

2. THEN I'D SELL IT TO THE UNSUSPECTING VIA A WEB SITE OR SOMETHING FOR EVEN MORE MONEY!!!!!

Oooops. I hit caps lock.

Of course, I'd provide all the evidence needed to show the method worked (in the past).

I know some of you will think I'm a bit hard doing this, but the way I look at it is that we are all grown ups, and the market isnt a kind place anyhow. Whats the difference between me selling s system I know doesnt work (anymore) and selling a bunch of contracts Im sure aint going any higher?

The market works on the bigger fool theory!

Yep sure would. I would share it for free if I liked that person. Charge for it? What for? I would only charge someone if I didn't have the time. If I didn't like you I would just refuse to give you any information. How does sharing it erode or reduce the effectiveness of my system? It doesn't. The markets I trade are so liquid that it would be impossible for anyone to influence it like what is suggested.

It is really easy for someone to think that they wouldn't share it because they have struggled. Its understandable. That feeling wears off once people become successful but it takes time.

It is not impossible , impossible for 1 person? perhaps but I said that if you shared it , it would stop working slowly.

Why would it be impossible if a trading method was discovered and eveyone started using it for it to stop working??

If the system said buy then everybody would try and buy , but who is going to sell if everyone is buying?

It is not impossible , impossible for 1 person? perhaps but I said that if you shared it , it would stop working slowly.

Why would it be impossible if a trading method was discovered and eveyone started using it for it to stop working??

If the system said buy then everybody would try and buy , but who is going to sell if everyone is buying?

Because some naughty little tinker with a great deal more money than you and everyone else trading the system will sell in to your buy orders all day long - the more the better as it means they can get more size done. Then, they have the added bonus of knowing that they can safely cover 10 ticks down where all the systems stops are. Heaven!

Money moves the market, not retail toys like CVD, MACD, shooting stars, bullish engulfing candle sticks, fibs, gann, tripple double dip highs, triangles, magic pentagons etc....

All of these sorts of systems have a shelf life of the next market cycle.

This is why most traders are constantly wasting time back testing and going from one method to another trying to find something that they can execute in a live market as well as it performed in back testing.

Therefore, if I did have such a system that worked, here is what I'd do:

1. TRADE THE @*&%# OUT OF IT UNTIL IT STOPPED WORKING.

2. THEN I'D SELL IT TO THE UNSUSPECTING VIA A WEB SITE OR SOMETHING FOR EVEN MORE MONEY!!!!!

Oooops. I hit caps lock.

Of course, I'd provide all the evidence needed to show the method worked (in the past).

I know some of you will think I'm a bit hard doing this, but the way I look at it is that we are all grown ups, and the market isnt a kind place anyhow. Whats the difference between me selling s system I know doesnt work (anymore) and selling a bunch of contracts Im sure aint going any higher?

The market works on the bigger fool theory!

Look at that .....an honest answer ...... .nicely done :) :applaud:

Why would it be impossible if a trading method was discovered and everyone started using it for it to stop working??

Everyone can't buy. Say for example if I had a magic line at a certain price. The more successful I am at selling subs for the line the worse off the trade would be. Why? Well simple market principles state that if everyone buys a the line then the market will go in the opposite direction UNLESS new participants enter in and buys it higher. Well then one could say its a magic line is only magic the less people use it. So the suggestion is that you should keep it secret. I disagree. Why? Well if you know that the glut of folks trying to buy it will cause to to go down then you sell it.

Its the imbalance of short term traders that moves the markets. If I tell tons of people this then that area wont be an imbalance anymore. As a matter of fact if I tell everyone to get short at 2000+ buyers and everyone does it then you have the same situation in reverse as long as its 2000+ in an imbalance of shorts.

At this point it may seem like either way its a loss for the guy that shares. If you sell the magic line (and its a genuine magic line) then the more people that use it the less reliable it becomes. And if you take that same line and sell it to a new set of folks and tell them to do the opposite of what you told the first set of folks it too will have a limited reliability. Depending on the popularity of course. This is how most retail traders think and for all the stuff I mentioned its true.

*RANT INC.*

This course of thinking is what most consider the "Holy Grail." The flaw is that it isn't' an innovation. In fact its far from anything new. It takes the preconceived notion of education that society has pushed for the last 30 years and exploits it. It takes modern business models and uses them to sell a product. These systems couldn't exist 20 years ago. The boom of the internet has allowed for this and guess what it isn't new in any form. A masters in marketing is what is most in demand in the holy grail model. The definition of the Holy Grail is all wrong. Holy Grail in trading = Rip off, Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

*RANT OVER*

A true holy grail system would exploit the above system. You would look for the imbalance at the lines. Then pick the winning side. But don't you have to buy the subscription to know where the line is? No. Just guess. Its not the line that is magic. Its all the folks creating an imbalance that makes it work or not work. The line is just a reference point. Price doesn't care about silly lines. People do. What makes price move? Its all the short term traders exiting positions. If you collect enough short term traders and they all exit it goes in the opposite direction. You target the short term guys and pick the winners.

You can share this message all day because no one can ever know ahead of time if there will be an imbalance at a line till price gets to it and either create one or not create one. Also after an imbalance has been created and someone enters there is no way of knowing if someone else will enter and create an imbalance going the other way. Also there are so many markets to trade. In fact there is no way someone could catch every one. If you are looking for imbalances instead of trading a line then as soon as an imbalance ceases to be an imbalance then it ceases to be a trade.

A true Holy Grail would allow you to chose what side you want to be on at the line and not restrict you one side or the other. A true Holy Grail would let you know you are wrong before you exit and not after. However no one refers to any system like this as a Holy Grail system. So as far as the current definition goes then yes no system could last and one could only really benefit by keeping it a secret. The truer sense of the definition would allow anyone to share it until all markets reach complete equilibrium.

Because some naughty little tinker with a great deal more money than you and everyone else trading the system will sell in to your buy orders all day long - the more the better as it means they can get more size done. Then, they have the added bonus of knowing that they can safely cover 10 ticks down where all the systems stops are. Heaven!

Money moves the market, not retail toys like CVD, MACD, shooting stars, bullish engulfing candle sticks, fibs, gann, tripple double dip highs, triangles, magic pentagons etc....

So if the number of traders knowing a certain trading method has no effect on its success.....then why are so many successful traders secretive of their trading methods?? Why are the proprietary trading firms that consistently making money year over year not telling everyone their strategy?? If you're theory is correct then they should have nothing to lose by sharing it with everyone as it will continue to make money know matter how many know it??

So if the number of traders knowing a certain trading method has no effect on its success.....then why are so many successful traders secretive of their trading methods?? Why are the proprietary trading firms that consistently making money year over year not telling everyone their strategy?? If you're theory is correct then they should have nothing to lose by sharing it with everyone as it will continue to make money know matter how many know it??

This is a fallacy. Just because the firm wont be harmed doesn't mean it it wont cost anything to teach people. The fact is you can make more money in the market then you can in education. The only group that disagrees with this is a certain political party. The time is best used to trade and prepare to trade markets instead of teaching and fielding questions from an audience.

Another fallacy is that you cant know exactly how they are making money year after year. Look at Enron and look at Bernie Madoff both reported year after year growth. There are lots of firms that without a doubt are making a majority of their capital on a few trades. And as long as it is before the end of the year its a profit. Consider GS who has all sorts of ways to make money. Are they making money on trades or are they making money on new customers? We know they give out loans to governments. So are they making money there? Can you replicate anything that they do even if they told you?

Finally I don't think traders are that secretive as much as they are busy or preoccupied. There really isn't that many secrets. There are more ubiquitous rules then secrets. Use correlated markets to get a base to establish value. Use some sort of software that will allow you to see longs and shorts. And finally watch for buyers or sellers to get trapped and wait for the stops to get elected. Chances are most folks wont understand what that stuff even means. Let alone know how to use it. And the funny thing is that everyone knows how to look for the best deal on car. Or how to get the cheapest rates on airline tickets. But no one can look at 4 markets and tell me what one is cheaper or is the better buy. People can spend time looking for the cheapest online computer component or cheapest flat screen TV but cant look at the S&P and tell me if its cheap and why. That in itself is frustrating. Talking trading even to so called other traders is almost like talking to someone who doesn't speak English. Its better to just go watch a Monday night football game.

The fact is you can make more money in the market then you can in education. ... The time is best used to trade and prepare to trade markets instead of teaching and fielding questions from an audience.

... I don't think traders are that secretive as much as they are busy or preoccupied.

... Talking trading even to so called other traders is almost like talking to someone who doesn't speak English. .

Yes.

Precisely.

Exactly.

Well put. Excellent post.

No problem sharing the strategy. The key is risk management, not so much the signal entries strategy. With only two different directions the market can go, how many ways can one really trade to get a positive expectancy?

The myth of the exotic trading system has hooked tons of people, including myself at some points, into pouring a lot of time and money in some cases chasing our tails. But once you get past the emotionalism, you see that trading profitably isn't that hard (mechanically). it's overcoming the fear you need to take risks. The idea that a predictive model that is highly accurate and would thus 'remove' the risks associated with being on the 'wrong' side of the trade attracts a lot of people, particularly newbies.

Sharing profitable systems is only a problem if they are automated and trading illiquid markets. These types of systems can possibly loose their edge if "every one" applied it to the same illiquid markets at the exact same time,

In contrast, sharing profitable strategies that are not automated as in something that has a discretionary element...it's impossible for every trader on this planet or most traders on this planet to be using the same strategy, same trading instrument, trading at the same time and many other variables that's impossible to occur the same for every trader. These types of strategies will not lose their edge. Some will be profitable and some will not due to every trader.

There are just too many variables that impact automated systems and discretionary traders from one trader to the next trader (e.g. trading platforms, internet connections, commissions, liquidity and so on). Simply, we will never be the same in how we apply a system or strategy.

I would share....

The way I see it is we are not competing against each other. If I was running a restaurant right next to yours I wouldn't give you my secret recipes because it would obviously affect my business if you stole the idea and used it.

I think in trading if someone were to use the same strategy as I did it wouldn't affect my portfolio personally. If I did share a system that worked I don't think that an infinite number of people would use it anyway so it won't become "obsolete" because of this reason.

I also think that sharing a successful system no matter how automated it might be still requires some sort of skill level. Just because something works for someone else doesn't mean it will work for you....

I am not yet consistently profitable, so can't tell what I would do.

One thing for sure is that there are many valuable systems in the public domain,starting with that of the famous Turtles. But as stated before on this thread, no system is permanently successful, let alone rigourously implemented per the rules of its creator. You will always have emotions and personal biases in the way.

I am not yet consistently profitable, so can't tell what I would do.

One thing for sure is that there are many valuable systems in the public domain,starting with that of the famous Turtles. But as stated before on this thread, no system is permanently successful, let alone rigourously implemented per the rules of its creator. You will always have emotions and personal biases in the way.

Yes the turtle system.....this ties in with my comment about systems losing their ability once to many people find out about it. The turtles and their coaches traded the system successfully at one point. The creators of the system made them all sing confidentiality agreements stating that they were not allowed to share the system with anyone. Once the agreements expired they sang like canary's to exploit the profit potential of selling the "system" itself not the fact that it worked......what happened?>?

It did not work as well as it once did. Look up any of the turtles and they all say they trade other systems now with a few components of the original system but the original one by itself does not work well anymore.

The thing I loved about their system was the fact that it was so basic...... Once people found out how it worked they said " That's it?? "

Simple is always the way to go.

Yes the turtle system.....this ties in with my comment about systems losing their ability once to many people find out about it. The turtles and their coaches traded the system successfully at one point. The creators of the system made them all sing confidentiality agreements stating that they were not allowed to share the system with anyone. Once the agreements expired they sang like canary's to exploit the profit potential of selling the "system" itself not the fact that it worked......what happened?>?

It did not work as well as it once did. Look up any of the turtles and they all say they trade other systems now with a few components of the original system but the original one by itself does not work well anymore.

The thing I loved about their system was the fact that it was so basic...... Once people found out how it worked they said " That's it?? "

Several times I've actually been tempted to back test the turtle method to see how it would have performed over the last 2 years or so. I just dont have the time to figure out how to do it in Ensign - I think it's got a back testing feature.

My gut says it may work if you increased the value of N (from memory) - the multiplier of the daily range.

I'd be surprised if many CTA strategies were much more complicated than the original to be honest.

It was but a break out system. It still works. Out of that you only have trend following and top/bottom picking.

Actually there are more than just a few systems that

have the ability to make money consistantly. I know

because I created and trade them.

As for sharing my method freely or selling it for profit

the answer is no. This is something I created through

many years of hard work.

What works for me is too look at longer time frames to see the previous tops and bottoms and trade such support and resistance ranges, as well as pullbacks along the way. I use Ichimoku clouds which gives a sort of moving support and resistance. The 200 MA is also quite often respected. Japanese candle patterns confirm turning points.

This is nothing new. Also looking at different time frames, one can get lost inside the forest (small time frame charts) and not see the bigger picture.

Avoid the lunch hour dull, usually between 11 to 1 CT. Give the trades enough room to move, too tight of a stop loss has gotten me out of profitable trades.

Have a plan, know when to get out and why to get in.

Edited by raul