Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

BlueHorseshoe

Puzzles for Traders

good advice. Thanks. maybe i can reform. I just been around too many bastards and seen their sh$t too many times. Could it be people don't like me because i. Speak the truth..things they don't want to hear....regardless? I actually like MM but he would probally would not believe me. I do tend to get dramatic and hyperbolish at times but that is me. Watch you see is what you get... I respect everyones right to their own opinion. Thanks for the advice..not sure i'll take it but it is an option.

so can we have the answer then? :confused::helloooo:

Hey Patuca where are we with the whole getting the answer thing? Whats the ETA?

The reason I ask is I get email notices to this thread and I'm not really interested in visiting the thread to see any other puzzles I just want to know the answer to yours.

So if you for instance tell me the answer will be posted on Sat then I can go on and ignore any email alerts I get until then..

So give me a heads up if you will.

I hoped this thread would be a fun place to come for a bit of entertainment when people have five minutes to fill, and not another TL warzone . . .

BlueHorseshoe

Agreed, so here is a quick one to get us back on track.

A mother is twenty one years older than her son. In exactly six years, the mother will be exactly five times older than the son. Where is the father?

:shrug:

A mother is twenty one years older than her son. In exactly six years, the mother will be exactly five times older than the son. Where is the father?

:shrug:..................

The son is but a gleam in daddy's eye... the child will be born in 9 months.

6 years = 72 months

21 years = 252 months

(-9) + (252 + 72) = 315

315 / 12 = 26.25 (26 years and 3 months)

26.25 / 5 = 5.25 (5 years and 3 months)

5.25 - 6 = -.75 (9 months)

Dad is somewhere very close to mom.

Because you 'know' that the host will open a door that has no prize after your original pick, you should always swap....the odds increase.

Basically - when the host reveals the dud door, there are two doors left and so the odds change from 1:3, to 2:3 chance of winning.

Intuitively we think it does not make a difference - to swap or not. - this is wrong.

(Its hard to conceptualise - but here goes)

Remember you have to assume this occurs on many games - and that over the long run you are better switching. This is not a one off odds decision.

At the start you have a 1 in 3 chance of picking the right door

Then the host opens the dud door, so now you know he has eliminated one of the dud doors. So what has happened is that you know that there will always be two doors that are eliminated - your pick and the hosts, and that the host will always eliminate a 'dud' door.

So no matter which you choose the host will help you.

Basically without any maths, tables or other formulas.

If you choose to stay then your odds remain at the 1 in 3

If you choose to swap they increase - you should swap.

Initially, your odds of winning are 1 in 3 (approx. 33%) when the choice was made. Eliminating a "dud" door doesn't help since, no matter what door was chosen, there would always be a "dud" door to eliminate. Your odds of winning changed automatically and are statistically now 50/50, but they do not improve by changing your selection.

I'm pretty convinced that, no matter what you decide to do, you will hate yourself in the morning.

Best bet is to simply listen to which door the "baaa...baaa" is coming from and then choose the other one. Improves the odds quite a bit....

Patuca, I know life can be hard sometimes.

You've said that you think people do not like you and you do not like them, on several occasions. Why?

Perhaps if you look in the mirror and find that deep down you just want to be accepted and be liked by others, you could try to give people a reason to like you. Or at the very least, don't give them reasons to dislike you.

Start small, try being polite, treat others as you yourself would like to be treated. See what happens. What will Patuca in ten years time think of the Patuca that he used to be? The future hasn't happened yet. Who you will be is entirely your own decision.

If I have misread your posts then of course I apologise.

All the best.

Perrin,

A lot of you guys might be over-reacting here. This thread was intended to be a light-hearted exercise in riddle-solving. Patuca came along and proposed a riddle that apparently has no actual solution OR, if it does, he's not telling until the entire world is groveling at his feet. I like a good riddle as much as the next guy but Patuca gave a date that he would explain the riddle and then reniged...and, by his own admission, the "answer" so simple it would be anti-climactic and disappointing.

Please don't let one person spoil the fun here. Keep the riddles coming and if someone doesn't want to explain theirs, so what...just move on.

I would contribute but you guys already told most of mine...but if I think of one and you guys don't get it, I promise not to pull a "patuca" on ya'....

Perrin,

A lot of you guys might be over-reacting here. This thread was intended to be a light-hearted exercise in riddle-solving. Patuca came along and proposed a riddle that apparently has no actual solution OR, if it does, he's not telling until the entire world is groveling at his feet. I like a good riddle as much as the next guy but Patuca gave a date that he would explain the riddle and then reniged...and, by his own admission, the "answer" so simple it would be anti-climactic and disappointing.

Please don't let one person spoil the fun here. Keep the riddles coming and if someone doesn't want to explain theirs, so what...just move on.

I would contribute but you guys already told most of mine...but if I think of one and you guys don't get it, I promise not to pull a "patuca" on ya'....

I dont remember ever giving a date. Could you refresh my memory with a post i made to that effect. What i remember saying was i want to hear 7 "uncles" from seven different people. I am still waiting.

Ps the riddle does indeed have an answer.

I dont remember ever giving a date. Could you refresh my memory with a post i made to that effect. What i remember saying was i want to hear 7 "uncles" from seven different people. I am still waiting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcollett »

OK Patuca

I guess two can play your game of suspence

Please hold the answer till Sunday night.

That will give us all another chance.

And I know you are dying to tell us .......

kind regards

bobc

Patuca:

sunday night will be fine ...i don't suspect anyone will guess it by then but if they do they will be first to ever guess it. i could give the answer anytime but i need to see more "uncle" cries. i realize it is hard for traders to take a stop loss but it is all part of trading...(according to conventional wisdom.. if you use Stop loses unlike ZDO and myself who are the only two crazy people on board) ..well sometimes i use them if i "feel" like it.

That was posted January the 17th ,......which means the answer should have been posted on the 20th .... since you asked. PAGE 14

Quote:

OK Patuca

kind regards

bobc

Patuca:

sunday night will be fine ...i don't suspect anyone will guess it by then but if they do they will be first to ever guess it. i could give the answer anytime but i need to see more "uncle" cries. i realize it is hard for traders to take a stop loss but it is all part of trading...(according to conventional wisdom.. if you use Stop loses unlike ZDO and myself who are the only two crazy people on board) ..well sometimes i use them if i "feel" like it.

That was posted January the 17th ,......which means the answer should have been posted on the 20th .... since you asked. PAGE 14

cap bob is the one that suggested and i agreed but said i needed to hear more uncle cries. I have only heard 4 so i need 3 more from 3 diff people. I know it is hard to be humble when you think you are so good.:cool:

7 uncles from

me

my wife

my son

my daughter

my granddaughter

my dog

and the possum in the backyard we bought because we don't have Geico (not sure whether he is dead or not, oh there he is! That's 7!)

Mr felton down in s texas could cry uncle then only need two more afterhim:thumbs up:

Whats the deal with 7? Why not 4 ? 6 or 12?? What is so special about 7?

Obviously many of us want the answer ......how about you just post it and forget about the "rules" you created for yourself?

Unless you are the kind of person who stacks all his canned goods in his cabinets perfectly with all labels facing out at a particular degree and your towels have to be hung exactly at the same height to the millimeter ....I do not see what 7 has to do with anything...

Don't be that guy.......

7 uncles from

me

my wife

my son

my daughter

my granddaughter

my dog

and the possum in the backyard we bought because we don't have Geico (not sure whether he is dead or not, oh there he is! That's 7!)

thanks but it should have been obvious that i meant from seven traders on this thread..however with yours.. And the one after you that makes 6 so one more from a trader on this thread who hasn't said uncle and the answer will suddenly appear.

Whats the deal with 7? Why not 4 ? 6 or 12?? What is so special about 7?

Obviously many of us want the answer ......how about you just post it and forget about the "rules" you created for yourself?

Unless you are the kind of person who stacks all his canned goods in his cabinets perfectly with all labels facing out at a particular degree and your towels have to be hung exactly at the same height to the millimeter ....I do not see what 7 has to do with anything...

Don't be that guy.......

seven is the number that popped into my head. I could change it to 12 if you like?????:rofl:

Ps the rules teach humility...patience...plus give opportunities for more guesses. All traders should have rules. Again you will be pissed when you hear the answer. It is right there. Much of trading is about observation.....

Does this jar your memory any? But no rush for me, I've lost interest

Quote:

OK Patuca

kind regards

bobc

Hi Patuca

You seem to be taking a bit of flak :(

How are you keeping.? Hows the gun running in Belize? :helloooo:

I see you are offering a jungle adventure course as well. :spam:

Perhaps you can hold of the answer till Friday to give us a last think.;)

kind regards

bobc

OK Patuca

I am stopped out

Whats the answer?

regards

bobc

yeah I give up too.

How do you keep a trader in suspense?... I'll tell you tomorrow.

My last shot (I mean it this time).

All bridges, even those that appear to be flat have at least a slight arc. Many for structural reasons, but if nothing else than to allow water drainage. If the railroad tracks where at the same level as the road surface, the bridge may have a considerable arch to allow clearance for the train. I'm using this example as it best illustrates where I'm headed.

When traveling "across" a bridge you must drive/walk "around" the circumference of a circle. You can never go straight "across" a bridge as there is an arc, so you must travel "around" the arc.

Yes seriously I am dying to know the answer to this....

UNCLE ,UNCLE!!

:confused:

Uncle Uncle Uncle Uncle Uncle Uncle Uncle Uncle Uncle Uncle

There I said it for everybody....can we have the answer now?

I thought you had agreed to reveal the answer three days ago?

UNCLE.

BlueHorseshoe

And it's for sure not that he used the suspension cables, thus travelling outside the main bridge/road area, going around it?

Or was he in a helicopter? Or a plane?

Or was he actually King Kong and thus able to step over this man-sized bridge, a la the big version of Mighty Mouse's theory?

Or is he Spiderman?

If not, at me to the uncle list.

Patuca - I've made it easy to recount your uncle list. Or are you not paying attention to people with less than a 1000 posts?

Hi Patuca

You seem to be taking a bit of flak :(

How are you keeping.? Hows the gun running in Belize? :helloooo:

I see you are offering a jungle adventure course as well. :spam:

Perhaps you can hold of the answer till Friday to give us a last think.;)

kind regards

bobc

Good idea, Bob, but a bit short-sighted. Won't be nearly enough "uncles" by then. Not even in the 6-figures yet. I say hold off on the answer till the London Bridge falls down. Be sorta commerative, in a way.

You know, the funniest part of the bridge riddle isn't the answer...it's all the people who are in for a big letdown when it finally comes. If it ever is posted, which I doubt, be sure to hold your nose when you read it.